VMP Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VMP Tuning

I just installed a CAI and it is causing my truck to run rich. This means I need a tuner. Troyer is great but the wait is forever. How is VMP. I heard they are comprable to troyer. I am going to get either the xcal3, or the livewire. Hopefully the livewire. Also I am thinking of getting the tunes as 87 gas milage, 87 preformance, and 87 towing. I never run anything higher than 87, just too expensive. Will I notice a difference with these tunes?

Last edited by squirtbottle09; 11-19-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by squirtbottle09
I just installed a CAI and it is causing my truck to run rich. This means I need a tuner. Troyer is great but the wait is forever. How is VMP. I heard they are comprable to troyer. I am going to get either the xcal3, or the livewire. Hopefully the livewire. Also I am thinking of getting the tunes as 87 gas milage, 87 preformance, and 87 towing. I never run anything higher than 87, just too expensive. Will I notice a difference with these tunes?
From what i hear, VMP tuning makes some solid tunes, most of their customers are quite happy.

Just FYI the wait time on the troyer tunes is shortening at a quick pace.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Also take a look on the Lightning board here if you're thinking about the Livewire.. seems quite a few Lightning drivers have tried it and have issues.. not with whatever tuning they've gone with, but with the device itself.. Not sure that SCT has got the bugs worked out of the thing yet..

The gauges would be nice to have, but that seems to be the issue, that they either don't work or that there are problems with the screen, as in you can't see what's displayed.

I believe that Troyer's wait time is now about 4-5 weeks.. VMP has a good reputation for quality tunes though..

Old 11-18-2007, 11:41 PM
well about 2 months ago when the first x3's were beign shipped out even those had problems, and they use the same software as the limewire, just the lime wire has the fancy screen and stays in the truck

ive heard great things about vmp

but also check out jusnesmodified.com they are a part of bama tuning which is kind of the big name for the mustangs

Old 11-19-2007, 06:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
VMP/Justin has his own spot on the forum over at Modular Fords www.modularfords.com under Ford Tuning

Last edited by torkum; 11-19-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:14 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bama is a very distant 3rd (or 4th, 5th, 10th lol) in F150 tuning proficiency and experience. See Ski's review for details, as an example.

Getting a tune in a day or a week or two just isn't any sort of relevant criteria; in fact, it's no criteria whatsoever.

Deek

Old 11-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

vmp tuning does a great job at tuning. i love the way my tunes are working and i know thumper loves his as well. justin is very easy to deal with.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
vmp tuning does a great job at tuning. i love the way my tunes are working and i know thumper loves his as well. justin is very easy to deal with.
Wow - including Weazel, that makes it a threesome!

Old 11-19-2007, 07:53 AM
My most recent tune updates came from Brenspeed. He is way more into tuning Mustangs but his general knowledge of Ford PCMs allows him to get into the truck PCMs and do great things but I couldn't tell you if he would be able to email tunes or ship you hardware with tunes already in place without the vehicle either on his dyno or on someone's dyno to get data like baseline HP, TQ, and A/F ratios. I went with him as he is about 1.5 hours from me and near some friends of mine here in IN. Great guy too!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 AM
?

how do you know it's running rich?-some 04's from the factory run lean and a cai just makes it worse-unless you have a freak?please explain...-phil

Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
how do you know it's running rich?-some 04's from the factory run lean and a cai just makes it worse-unless you have a freak?please explain...-phil
I agree how do you know your running rich? Where you running rich to begin with?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:28 AM
I agree vmp makes good tunes. I've enjoyed the performance gains and think the truck feels better and better as it relearns the new program.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:36 PM
well going from experience Justin@VMP is great, he has done 2 tunes for me in the past for my mustang and i wouldnt hesitate to use him again.
His customer service is what really got me, everytime i called or emailed him he responded in a timely fashion and answered any and all questions that were answered.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by openclasspro#11
Well I am not just guessing its running rich. I went to autozone and had the codes pulled. The codes said it was running rich, not bank specific. I guess the MAF is reading more air, and while trying to compensate is overcompensating and overfueling. I noticed my gasmilage has dropped as well

Old 11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Well I am not just guessing its running rich. I went to autozone and had the codes pulled. The codes said it was running rich, not bank specific. I guess the MAF is reading more air, and while trying to compensate is overcompensating and overfueling. I noticed my gasmilage has dropped as well
Pull the cai and have a tune done.

Quick Reply: VMP Tuning