Flex Fuel Tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by svtfangs98
"some Ford flex-fuel vehicles (FFVs) produce about a 5% horsepower gain when using E85 compared to their power output on regular gasoline."

Is this true???
For sure, it is probably the best kept secret. It is 105 octane race fuel. I used to pay a fortune for it years ago when I had a forty pound nitrous bottle in the trunk. It starts the engine in extremely cold temperatures it makes the engine run cooler. It adds horsepower and torque as well, at least on my Ford Flex Fuel passenger van. The exhaust is clean and does not smell. I get much better gas milage from e-85.

The world is nuts and the internet is full of garbage. Low octane fuel creates more BTUs than high octane fuel. BTUs drive a vehicle, the heat of combustion is what causes an engine to work. However, since no engine is using anywhere near all the BTUs of any fuel, the advanced before top dead center timing possible with e-85 is able to deliver more BTUs percentage wise than regular or even premium gasoline. The engine is extremely responsive using e-85, and I get a 25 percent increase in gas mileage on e-85, because the vehicle is advancing engine timing which increases engine efficiency greatly.

The only thing I do not like is that it takes such a small movement of the gas pedal to make torque that on the parkway I find it hard to maintain 70 mph on e-85, the engine makes a lot more torque so when the transmission locks up the slightest movement in the pedal causes the van to accelerate quite a bit. I almost got a ticket because of it, I was going 78 when I meant to be going 70, because there is so little movement of the gas pedal necessary now. It really is hard to control the speed of the vehicle on e-85. I noticed that if I am not mindful when driving locally that it will eat fuel , because now the van takes off like a rocket ship from stop signs and lights when on e-85 but if I take off as I would on regular gasoline I get better fuel economy around town as well.

I would try a tuning chip if they made one for it. ​​​​​​​

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Quick Reply: Flex Fuel Tuning?