Need a tuner!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a tuner!

I have an '07 Screw with the 4.6L motor. I have been researching tuning options and was leaning towards the Xcal2 from Troyer Performance. As it is, I am still saving up the funds to make the purchase. My problem is that I have a Diablo Sport Predator unit that I bought for my '04 SVTF late last year. Since I don't have the car anymore, I have been trying to sell it but just haven't found anyone will to buy it. I know that Diablo Sport will give me a $100 credit if I purchase another unit for the Screw. I am just not sure if dishing over a little less than $300 is worth it over the Edge Evo or SCT Xcal2 from Troyer. Should I wait and try to sell the DSP or just send it back to DS and get the $100 credit? If I send it back, who has tunes for the DSP other than the Diablo Sport Performance tune? Help please!

Old 05-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’ve been using TP’s custom tunes on my 2004 Screw since the get go, 12-03-04, and have never had a problem; ultra reliable

Old 05-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I just got my Xcal2 from Brenspeed.com on Friday and immediately installed the 87 octane tune on my totally stock 2006 4.6L Screw. I'm impressed with the results. The truck idles smoother, the shifts are crisp and it's got good power everywhere it didn't have it before. Passing at highway speeds was an iffy prospect at times with the stock tune. Not so with this new tune. It downshifts immediately and moves on down the road. Throttle response is much better than the stock tune. You will notice a difference with just the tune on an otherwise stock truck.

My Xcal2 was shipped from Brenspeed about a week after I placed my online order and I got it 3 days later. I also have an Xcal2 and Brenspeed tunes for my Mustang and they did an excellent job on it. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:28 PM
ski
I ordered some Brenspeed tunes with a JLT ram intake and love the results. I must say that it was better then the AF1 3.5 and TP tunes. Now I'm not saying that TP tunes suck, I've had them since september 2004 or 05. I just wanted to try something different and read about the JLT ram intake and I tried other tunes recently: Brenspeed, Brent Hughes, VMP, Innovated Diesel, Bamachips. I haven't gotten the bamachips tune yet. Brent Hughes does an awesome job. I like his tunes, Brenspeed has awesome tunes. VMP I'm having problems with right now, but he is working on it. Innovated Diesel(IDP) are all right. I had the 3inch AF1 and the IDP tune worked great, but with the 3.5 AF1 it was hard for them to tune for it. I wanted to try other tunes to see what was all out there. I was with troyer for about 2yrs, then thought I'd try something new. I figured I would post on other tunes so people who wouldn't want to wait for tunes would have options. I highly recommend Brenspeed. They are very good. Brent Hughes is awesome too. I'll let u all know how bamachips is once I get it. It's been about 2 weeks for them to send it too me. Brenspeed it took about 3-5 business days.
VMP- his tune is all right through normal driving, but WOT the shifting sucks, especially at 85mph 5100-5300rpm it takes it a while to shift. He is looking into it.
Brent Hughes- His tunes work great I'll rate them with close to troyer. The throttle response and shifting is great. It took about 1 business day to get the tunes.
Brenspeed: 3-5 business days for the tune. I'd have to rate it better then troyers tunes with the 3.5 AF1. (I know I'm going to get bashed for that, but that's what my butt dyno says, and 0-60 times. TP 0-60 with 3.5 AF1=9.87, Brenspeed 0-60 with JLT Ram Intake 8.67. I've ran them both on several different days and times and they came up roughly the same. Give or take .25 secs)

I'm not here bashing troyer or any other tuner, just posting the results I've had. Troyer has been the most knowledgable person about our trucks. If and when I go with a supercharger it will be with Troyer.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 PM
So I should wait and try to sell the DS tuner I have for the SVT Focus? Money is the biggest downfall here. I need to sell the tuner I have before I can buy another one. Unless someone knows of GREAT, comparable tunes for the Diablo Sport Predator.

Quick Reply: Need a tuner!