Datalog? How did you keep rpm close?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Datalog? How did you keep rpm close?

Was messing around with doing some datalog testing for when I have time to do both loads in the same day. Reading the information it says to go idle, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 rpms.....how on earth did anyone get this done. I'm all over the place with the rpms. Tried with my foot, my hand, a stick wedged against my seat. I bet it jumps 125 rpms both ways.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by kippy
Was messing around with doing some datalog testing for when I have time to do both loads in the same day. Reading the information it says to go idle, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 rpms.....how on earth did anyone get this done. I'm all over the place with the rpms. Tried with my foot, my hand, a stick wedged against my seat. I bet it jumps 125 rpms both ways.
Hi - this should help a little ...

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
...One last thing - we really only need about 5 seconds of data at each rpm level on the no-load, so if you figure that you want to sample at idle, at 1500, 200, 2500 and then last at 3000 rpm, you should be able to get it done within that time frame, as we cna deal with 5 seconds of data at each approximate rpm level. And just as a reminder, you don't have to be at *exactly* 1500 rpm, or at *exactly* 2000 rpm, etc - that's very hard to do and takes time, so in this case, getting close to each rpm point is fine - so it's not the end of the world if we see data at 1350-1650 rpm for the 1500 rpm sample, and so on. Given that, you should be able to get the no-load data file recorded within that 45 second or so timeframe, worst case.

Sooo.. it looks like you just need to do your best to get it in the ballpark. I'll probably have fun doing this when my turn comes... I'll just use a big 'ol rock

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Grog

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-24-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what he said!

Old 01-24-2006, 07:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Precisely why we point that out in our datalogging instructions - we go over that specifically, and I quote:

"Note: You probably won’t be able to make the engine turn exactly 1500 rpm, or exactly 2000 rpm, etc., just get it as close as you reasonably can (1536 rpm is OK for 1500, 2042 rpm is OK for 2000, etc."

This is simple - do the no-load datalogging in one single file on the XCal 2, and just get it as close as you can to each rpm level, holding it there for 5-10 seconds, and then take it up to the next rpm level as close as you can, holding it there for another 5-10 seconds, and so on, until you complete this process - it's very easy - just read our docs carefully and follow them, and don't' worry about trying to get it *exactly* on the rpm number - close is OK in the no-load datalogging RPM's.

Actually, with about 2 minutes of practice, you can easily get it to hold steadily within 50 rpm or so of each level anyway, it's not a hard thing to do to get it close - and in this case, close (say, + or - 100 rpm or so) is indeed good enough in the no-load datalogging, so don't make your knee shake & your leg muscles cramp trying to get it *exactly* at each rpm level, OK? It'll be fine, I'm sure.

The no-load datalogging is very simple - really, all of it is - all it takes is careful reading of our instructions, then carefully looking for the correct parameters as we discussed on the phone several times when setting up the configuration file, a little bit of practice - then it's easy to do.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Datalog? How did you keep rpm close?