Can You Do A Burnout......?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, I hear ya, that second gear chirp will definitely put a big grin on your face

Old 01-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpdadeo
Yep, I hear ya, that second gear chirp will definitely put a big grin on your face
HI!... You should see how big that grin gets when you chirp 3RD! lol!

Last edited by Neal; 01-11-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i can roast them with just a little braking, and keep em smokin all day if i wanted
but the MT's get a little pricy
oh ya its on a wooden bridge too

Old 01-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
Hoooly chit! NOw, thats a burnout.

Check this puppy out. I know its not a truck, but its a 408 stroker and he hits 3 of 4 speeds!

http://home.bresnan.net/~fordfanboi/3gearburnout.wmv
that is hella sick!! All i have is 40 series flowmasters and all i do to burn out is go up to a curb in a parkinglot (smoother assphalt) to lock up my front wheels and lay on it. It is kinda stupid but hella fun

Old 01-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Cycleman & everyone,

I get a laugh from these posts each time, but I also kinda cringe - I say that because while it's absolutely red-blooded American male human nature to want to light 'em up off the line, in a heavy truck with minimal mods it is many times just not a reasonable expectation, as some will and some won't. So this type of post is also an excellent example of why we say never attempt to properly judge/measure your results of *any* performance enhancement by whether a given truck can spin the tires, or by seat of the pants impressions, as that is really meaningless from an actual comparative standpoint. Especially when we're talking about baseline custom tuning before the datalogging & any adjustments that may be needed are done.

Between the huge weight variations, the numerous different factory rubber compounds even on the same brand, model & size of tires that affect both dry & wet traction, the differences between even identical F-150's as we have identified numerous times during our public Dyno Days, etc., spinning tires & seat of the pants stuff are rather meaningless standards to compare results of modifications by. There are just far too many variables for whether a given truck will spin the tires for that to mean anything comparatively speaking.

For example - we see some 4x4's with 35" tires able to light them up with our tuning, while some trucks with factory tires cannot. Also, there are some of these 5.4 3V's (and most of the 4.6 F-150's from 2004 & up) that run lean from the factory, and thus cannot produce their full proper power until datalogged & the A/F's & other things really dialed in properly - that was one of your questions, can that make a difference, and the answer is, potentially, yes - in some cases, quite a difference, while in others, not a big difference. We had one post here the other day of a fellow going from 209 to 254 RWHP before & after his datalogging, because his truck was one that was running lean from the factory - now that is of course an *extreme* (and thus not typical) example, but I mention it just to make a point.

So whether or not your truck can spin it's tires off the line may or may not change once you do your datalogging and we see what that info tells us, we'll just have to see.

The best meaningful standards to measure performance changes by are controlled before & after acceleration times - I prefer that over any other method, including dyno numbers, as long as wheel spin is NOT present.

This type of question/issue is precisely why we go over all of this in very careful detail in the documentation we send out with every custom tune we do - so we advise reading that and following those guidelines.

This is something we've also said here many times, so this can easily be searched for those who want to read in more detail about this, I just wanted to drop by as a quick FYI reminder, basically, to not attempt to judge your results until the datalogging and any adjustments are made, or to judge any performance mods by whether the truck can spin the tires - some will, and some won't, yet they all get roughly about the same percentage of power gain from the custom tuning.

Have fun,

Old 01-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks Mike. I understand that spinning the tires isn't a measure of performance. I guess I was asking out of curiousness to see if others were able to do it. Let the record stand that by NO means was I expressing my dissatisfaction with your product because I can't spin my tires. Regardless if I can later after datalogging or not, I will still be 110% satisfied...spinning the tires might just be a 'bonus'
Thanks again for the conversation regarding datalogging parameters this evening.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by runnerbl
I can't either. I tried today and the truck is sluggish until it hits a little over 2k then it seems to come to life. Another thing I have noticed is if I am driving down the road with rpm at 1300 or so and i push down on the gas real quick, at least a couple of inches..the rpms never move. Its like it takes a little bit for the truck to respond to the gas pedal. Has anyone ever noticed this? Would a tuner help this. I would like to be able for truck to respond when I press on the gas, and I don't me WOT...
I have the Troyer tuned XCal2 and I am experiencing the same issue you speak of. It's very lifeless below 2k rpms, even with the Magnaflow. Watch my 0-60 video's if you're curious just how lifeless. The truck hardly moves until it hits 2k rpms. My truck is absolutely gutless at 40-50mph (low second gear I believe). I have yet to datalog but I will make a reply here after it has been done. I will be doing a video like Neal did above before I get new tires (35's if it goes as planned). Good luck.

Last edited by Josiah; 01-17-2006 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
I have the Troyer tuned XCal2 and I am experiencing the same issue you speak of. It's very lifeless below 2k rpms, even with the Magnaflow. Watch my 0-60 video's if you're curious just how lifeless. The truck hardly moves until it hits 2k rpms. My truck is absolutely gutless at 40-50mph (low second gear I believe). I have yet to datalog but I will make a reply here after it has been done. I will be doing a video like Neal did above before I get new tires (35's if it goes as planned). Good luck.

Where is the video?

Old 01-17-2006, 12:13 PM

Here is one.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 PM
Josiah, what's your rpm at WOT for the 1-2 up-shift? Just curious, because it don’t sound like you’re bogging down when you up-shift in that video clip

Old 01-17-2006, 08:24 PM
I Can Smoke Both Tires!!!!

I have Positraction on my truck... And can smoke them all day!!! 3rd gear chirp Too. Stock gears wont to this!!! You need 410 to do so!!!
Performance:::::
COLD AIR KIT, AF1 INTAKE/ THORTTLE BODY SPACER/ MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR/SHAVED HEADS/UPGRADED INJECTORS AND FUEL PUMP/ PULLEYS/CERAMACOATED HEADERS/ NO CATALATYC CONVERTERS/ Y PIPE/ GIB DUAL EXHAUST/Chrome exhs tips/HURST STICK SHIFTER KIT/ JET STAGE III CHIP/ 410 GEAR RATIO/ POWERTRAC POSITRACTION UNIT/ ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT/ CENTERFORCE STAGE 1 CLUTCH & THROWOUT BEARING/ LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL/ 75SHOT OF NITROUS /... O YEAH! TURBONATOR AND ELEKTRIC TURBO. THAT'S ABOUT IT I THINK... OF COURSE THOSE 2 LAST ONES ARE MORE SHOW THAN ANYTHING...

Looks:: & sound
20'' on yokohoma tracks, Extang bed cover, clear corner lights, Remote control fog lights. Tail gate wing, Hood scoops, shaved off and bandowed F150 emblems, Limo tint. Bumper speed grill, Home made screen for main grill. 2 1800 watt fosagate punch amps. 2 12'' solobaric L7 subs. kenwood door speakers. etc etc.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=6980

Old 01-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Aaron_j
Only if I powerbrake.

'06 XLT Scab
5.4, auto, 3.55 LS
It looks like I get to change this answer. I had my truck tuned by a local shop today and I can spin the tires from a dead stop on dry pavement with no problem now. Before the truck didn't even chirp when you floored it from a stop.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Aaron_j
It looks like I get to change this answer. I had my truck tuned by a local shop today and I can spin the tires from a dead stop on dry pavement with no problem now. Before the truck didn't even chirp when you floored it from a stop.

What did they change/do?

Old 01-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by runnerbl
What did they change/do?
I am really not sure other than the usual suspects: timing, fuel, transmission shifts, etc. The condensed version of the story is that when I stopped by their shop this morning they said that they were booked for the next few days. I must have looked dissapointed because they said that if I left the truck they would see what they could do with it today.

Anyway, they are supposed to close at 5pm but the tuner got started on my truck pretty late and stayed until 6:30 tweaking my 93 octane performance tune. Because of this I didn't bother him too much while he worked. (the fact that my ebay-bought xcal2 caused him some problems didn't help my case any)

I made an appointment for next Tuesday for him to put it back on the dyno, adjust anything that needs adjustment, and work up a towing tune.

When that happens I will ask plenty of questions and report back here with any answers he gives me. I'm not promising that he will tell me everything though.

*side note* Not only was this my first time seeing a vehicle on a dyno, I actually did two of the runs myself. It's a rush to feel the vehicle strain against the straps at ~100 mph while the shop door is only inches in front of you.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by jpdadeo
Josiah, what's your rpm at WOT for the 1-2 up-shift? Just curious, because it don’t sound like you’re bogging down when you up-shift in that video clip
It shifts at about 5200-5300 rpms.