91 octane vs. 93 octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 octane vs. 93 octane

i received my xcal2 the other day. i am very excited to get it installed. however, i am uncertain whether i should or not. my first problem is that i specifically ordered (1) 87 octane performance tune no tow, (2) 91 octane tow tune and (3) 91 octane performance no tow. however, the paperwork that came with my tuner says 93 octane (minimum)...not 91. i live in oklahoma...we don't have 93 in my area. and i'm afraid that it will do something undesired to my truck.

i called the troyer office, and was told that i ordered a 93 tune. i was even told that "the order says 93"...when i asked if that was my handwriting, she said it was a phone order. now, i SPECIFICALLY stated that i lived in OKLAHOMA and that i didn't have 93 octane available. and i SPECIFICALLY ordered 91. but she acted like i was a fool who ordered 93 without knowing any better. then she just said to go ahead and use the 93 tune with 91 octane. heck, when i was telling everyone about waiting on my xcal2, i even told everybody how annoyed i was that oklahoma didn't have 93 octane so i had to order the 91 tune.

mike, i don't want to flash my truck without complete confidence that it will perform at maximum capability on the fuel that i have available to me. if it's a simple email update that can fix the 93 tunes to 91, that's great. if it will run fine on the 93 tune, that's fine, but i need to hear it from you...not from one of your non-technical employees who first tells me that i ordered it that way, then tells me that you would "probably" just tell me to load it and see what happens.

i'm not a professional...and i'm not a big time motor head...i'm a first time truck owner that wants to get the best performance he can from his truck. i have never put this kind of expense into anything i've ever had (other than my beautiful wife)...and i am not going to take any chances with it.

thank you
rusty

Old 12-29-2005, 06:42 PM
RustyLeeroy, YOU HAVE MAIL!!

Old 12-29-2005, 06:48 PM
For every 1000 feet above sea level you are, your vehicle requires 1 less octane. That is why your area doesn't offer 93..nobody short of a drag racer could possibly need it. In florida I ran my street/track car on 93 or the knock sensor would slam on the brakes. Here in Denver I've run 87 a couple of times and it doesn't seem to mind. The sensor on a porsche is apparently fairly sensitive..something I'm happy about since I have removed all boost control. Life begins at 23psi..... Those octanes are for street driving btw...for the track where max boost is sustained for 45 min at a time....she gets race fuel or I get to replace a head gasket.

But I digress....what I meant to say is put in the 91 and drive it like you stole it.

Bill
05 lariat F-150 (to pull the real monster to and from the track)

Last edited by billindenver; 12-29-2005 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:42 AM
well, i flashed it since i was in texas and just filled up with 93...i'll drive it until it gets low, then maybe reflash to 87 and use 89/91...but i want all of them to be useful.

i'm sure this is not the place for this, but i got the distinct impression that i wasn't going to be talking to mike directly.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:53 PM
Back to the top

Old 12-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello Rusty,

I did your tuning, the original order does indeed have 93 octane tuning requested on it when you placed your order by phone. Only on one tiny line deep in your CPW's does it say anything about 91 octane, which we found after you called to make that claim, and it's not anywhere related to the types of tunes - it's listed in the types of medications to the vehicle, and that is NOT how ANYONE makes their tuning selection - we go over that very carefully when we take your order by phone and your order clearly shows not just one, but 2 different types of tunes for 93 octane.

You make the selection of the types of tunes when you phone in your order, you make *that* selection when you call - just as you did, and that clearly does show a request for 2 different types of 93 octane tuning for the premium gas tuning - one for performance, the other for towing.

Now the fact of the matter is, you have nothing to worry about running 91 octane in that vehicle (or any other 2004 & up F-150, and the vast majority of other model year F-150's) the way we have it set up - you simply need to run a good quality fuel and you will be fine, just like you will need to run good quality fuel on *every* level of tuning.

And no, not everyone gets put directly thru to me, though I talk to *many* people from here every single day - however, just like any other company, not everyone who calls gets to talk to the president of the company, obviously, or I'd never get anything done. So no, it is not a reasonable expectation for everyone who calls here to get to speak directly with me, of course not, that's not how any company of any size or volume works, that's common sense (unless you deal with a 1-man show, and that isn't a "company" in my book). So no, that generally does not happen in the vast majority of companies, everyone gets put thru to the president of the company.

Now I *am* happy to speak with you about this personally if you like - please feel free to give us a call next week (we'll be closed Monday for New Year's), and I'll be happy to go over this with you, and if there is an actual problem with your vehicle detonating (and of course, there isn't and won't be as you will understand better when we speak), we can always make an easy change to your tuning - so don't worry, I'll make sure you are properly taken care of on this, you have my personal assurance on that, OK?

Thanks, and I look forward to speaking with you next week - in the meantime, enjoy your New Year's weekend and your new custom tuning!

Quick Reply: 91 octane vs. 93 octane