Fuel Milage with reprogramed tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Milage with reprogramed tune?

Aside from the obvious loss of fuel milage due to the added "Fun factor" How does the improved throttle response and overable driveability of the reprogramed fuel and ignition curve affect your fuel milage? Can fuel economy be retained? Improved?

Old 04-30-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the Xcalibrator, I average approximately 16mpg local driving. After a couple of months of hitting it frequently, I’ve settled down some; now I only go WOT when it’s absolutely necessary.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2001, 5.4, 4x4 Screw and installed Troyer Stage #1 (Superchip, AF1 intake and Magnaflow Cat back) in May of 2003 @ 25k Mi, now have 53k. I've kept records of every tankful and the numbers look like this (pretty **** huh?):

Mileage before tune = 12.42mpg
Mileage After tune = 13.05mpg

Thats 93 gallons saved in 2 years or $186.00 at $2.00/gal, so in another 8-9 years, or faster if gas keeps going up, the kit will have paid for itself!

The truck does fly, though, (I've developed a pretty heavy foot since the install), I'd say it was worth it!

Old 05-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi CCRider,

It really gets down to a matter of how you actually operate, maintain & feed your vehicle. There is no inherent automatic loss of fuel economy with out tuning, other than the "fun factor" you mentioned.

Reduced MPG generally only happens if you either drive the vehicle harder (as "WorksforBeers" alluded to at the end of his post), or if you feed it cheap gas, as the energy content in "cheap" fuels is lower, generally speaking.

The majority of people who use our tuning actually see a small improvement in mpg overall, in most cases - once the novelty of a new "go-fast" part wears of & driving returns to a more normal pace, usually most people do see some improvement in mpg - it's extremely rare to see any inherent loss in mpg, as I said - that happens only if you drive it harder or feed it "cheap" gas as some people tend to do when they use premium gas.

On average, we generally see reports of about 1.2-1.7 more MPG from our custom performance tuning, just to give you a rough idea - the ranges are from no improvement (usually from a heavy right foot, which can even result in a bit lower MPG) to as much as 3.5 better mpg (best cause cruising scenario).

Now it's only fair to point out that we cannot make any guarantee of better mpg, as obviously that really depends on factors beyond our control - this is just what we normally see reported back to us for results.

Quick Reply: Fuel Milage with reprogramed tune?