f 150 shifting like lightning chip does

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 09:20 AM
gp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post f 150 shifting like lightning chip does

mike,can the transmission program in the 99 lightning be put in the chip for a standard 99 f150 truck.i like the way my lightning downshifts and would like my 99 to do the same.i know its a differant transmission but i sure love the way my lightning shifts.

Old 06-12-2001, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi gp,

Great to "see" you again!

The specific issue you're talking about is the ability to downshift into 1st gear at speeds above 25 mph just by punching it, without manually moving the shift lever down into 1st, which is the factory limitation. We do that in the Lightning only because it's an SVT vehicle whose character lends itself to a "street start" like that,and has a heavier-duty 4R100 automatic that is specific to the Lightning. You know what happens if you're doing 35 mph and punch that Lightning; it grabs 1st gear and and that supercharged 5.4 immediately takes off like a rocket, making it a showy & fun move to do.

We had a bit of a time doing that in the Lighting a couple of years ago, as what happened as soon as we raised that downshift point was the WOT upshift points dropped as a result, and that had to be ironed out, which took getting a few more Lightnings on the dyno to reverse-engineer that correctly. I can't predict our success if we try to do that without having access to the vehicle in a regular F-150, there are a couple of issues involved that could potentially jump up and bite us if we try that without having access to that vehicle, or a vehicle of the same computer code. I'd say give us a call when you get a chance, and we'll be happy to go over this in more detail with you.

Good seeing you again gp, & keep in touch!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 06-12-2001, 09:08 PM
gp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks mike.i didnt think it would work but thought i would ask.

Quick Reply: f 150 shifting like lightning chip does