tranny problems caused by chip?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post tranny problems caused by chip?

Could the superchip cause tranny problems? Whenever I go cruising on the weekends The o/d light starts flasing after about 30 to 45 minutes. I also hauled approx. 1000lb of stone the other day and it came on. I don't know if the tranny overheating would cause the light to flash or not. It never did it before I got the chip though. The other thing that happens when the light starts flashing is that the speedo needle start jumping around. It will be on 20 then jump to 30 then to 35 and so on. It won't move slowly without jumping around. That usually happens after the o/d light has be flashing for about 15 minutes.

------------------
The truck:
Teal 1997 XLT flareside with 4.6L, auto tranny, electronic shift on the fly, 3.55LS and 4x4 ORP.

Performance mods:
Gen. 2 K&N FIPK
Superchip(removed until further notice)
True dual exhaust exiting out the back
2.5" pipe with 18" glasspacks and 18"x4" round chrome slash cut tips

Appearance:
White face gauges
Euro clear corners
01L headlights
Covercraft tonneau cover
Billet pedals
16" Modern© wheels
265/75r16 Wild Country Radial TXR tires
Factory tinted rear windows
Bug deflector

Sound system:
Clarion ADX5655z Double Din Cassette & CD
4 Pioneer TS-A6865 speakers

Other:
Bedliner
Bulldog keyless entry/remote start

Click here to see more pictures

Old 05-29-2001, 05:56 AM
We had the same problem on my dads 94 F150. We know for a fact that it wasn't something major with the tranny as it was just rebuilt about 2 months before. We called our tranny shop (Amco) and they told us just unhook the batt. for 5 minutes then hook it back up. We did and light has never flashed again. Now this not be the case with yours but you can always try unhooking the battery.

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed, 3.55LS rear axle, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests
Sylvania Cool Blue Bulbs, Ford logo hitch and license plate, tinted windows, blackouts front and rear(w/ford logos on front blackouts),ventvisors all around, painted logos on door sills and under hood, 55w backup lights, K&N Filter, custom 4x4 emblems, cup holder/LED mod, 99 F150 Triton V8 emblems, and much more to come

Old 05-29-2001, 06:05 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KYFordFreak:
We had the same problem on my dads 94 F150. We know for a fact that it wasn't something major with the tranny as it was just rebuilt about 2 months before. We called our tranny shop (Amco) and they told us just unhook the batt. for 5 minutes then hook it back up. We did and light has never flashed again. Now this not be the case with yours but you can always try unhooking the battery.

</font>
I unhooked the battery and truned the lights on for 5 to 10 minutes. It didn't flash again until I hauled the stone on Saturday. The truck sat for a few hours then later I went cruising. It then started again. If it is overheating I wonder if the lines going to the cooler or the cooler itself could be plugged up.

------------------
The truck:
Teal 1997 XLT flareside with 4.6L, auto tranny, electronic shift on the fly, 3.55LS and 4x4 ORP.

Performance mods:
Gen. 2 K&N FIPK

Appearance:
White face gauges
Euro clear corners
01L headlights
Covercraft tonneau cover
Billet pedals
16" Modern© wheels
Bug deflector
Euro clear corners

Sound system:

Other:
Bedliner

Old 05-29-2001, 02:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi King James,

There are many of these F-150's using the Superchip, and not one of them has ever had it's transmission damaged by the Superchip. In fact, just the opposite happens, these automatics last longer with the Superchip, thanks to the reduced slippage, so the friction materials (the bands and clutches) last longer.

It seems obvious from what you've posted here that this also happened after you removed the Superchip (according to your signature), so it has nothing to do with the Superchip.

If memory serves (and it's hard to tell with all the various screen names that are used here), I think you and I spoke about this over the phone a few days ago, and we suggested that you remove the Superchip to determine if it ever happens without the Superchip installed, as that's an easy way to determine if it's involved, and obviously it's not, from what you've posted.

This can caused by a transmission sensor that is on it's way out, or, it can even be a failing mass airflow meter, as that is the engine's primary load signal, and can even affect shift characteristics if the MAF's calibration is off, or if it's hot wire(s) is dirty, or if the MAF itself is faulty, or going bad.

I don't think that this is a problem with transmission fluid overheating, unless maybe you're doing heavy towing at low speeds and your truck does not have the towing package on it, in which case, you should have an auxilliary transmission oil cooler installed (which comes with the towing package), they're cheap insurance.

I would suggest having it checked by your dealership, to see just what's actually going on there.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-29-2001).]

Old 05-29-2001, 02:45 PM
I just removed the chip yesterday so I haven't been driving without it much yet. It's only about 1 mile to work. I do have the towing package. If it si overheating I wonder if that could be cause by the lines going to the cooler or the cooler itself being plugged up. I wonder if there is a way to test the MAF.

------------------
The truck:

Performance mods:
Gen. 2 K&N FIPK

Appearance:
White face gauges
Euro clear corners
01L headlights
Covercraft tonneau cover
Billet pedals
16" Modern© wheels
Bug deflector
Euro clear corners

Sound system:

Other:
Bedliner

Old 05-29-2001, 09:11 PM
Cool

If your O/D light is blinking, it's giving you an error code for the tranny. There's definately something wrong. Get it looked at before it damages something seriously.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

Old 05-30-2001, 01:50 AM
Hey King James

Whats happening. So you took the chip out OK thats a start.

So when are you going to drive further than a mile? like you said. od light flashing after 30-45 minutes +other problems.

So whats happening, except "superchip removed until further notice"

Got me curious. Good luck. OT

Trending Topics

Old 05-30-2001, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi King James,

I would agree, as has been mentioned, that blinking OD light is a notice that there is some type of error code being thrown in the transmission under that particular driving situation. Usually it's just a sensor, but it needs to be checked, of course. The first thing that needs to be done is to scan for error codes, to see what code is being thrown. Your dealership can do that of course, or if you or a friend has a code scanner for 1996 & newer Fords, or you pick one up (which I think is a good idea for anyone who owns any modern vehicle, so they can retrieve their own codes and potentially save time, money & frustration), you can easily retrieve the error code yourself. They can be found at Sears, Auto Zone, just about any auto parts house carries code scanners. You'll just need to get one that is for 1996 & newer (OBD-II) Ford vehicles.

I also agree that it's most likely not going to occur during a 1 mile commute.

Since you have the towing package, you already have a "real" transmission fluid cooler, not just the small cooler built into the radiator, so that really shouldn't be an issue, but of course all of this is just "hipshotting" here, nobody is going to know for sure until that error code is retrieved and looked up.

If there is a problem with the MAF, that will usually throw a code as well, and give you a check engine light, but not *always*. If it's just dirty, that might throw a light.

The bottom line here is that it needs to be scanned for the error code, King, that's going to be the first real step in getting this properly diagnosed. The vehicle seems to be running fine, and the transmission seems to be shifting correctly, so it doesn't sound serious, but it does need to be checked, of course.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-30-2001, 08:53 PM
Smile

King,

Mine has done this two times in the past two years,and both times I was out four wheeling and the tires all lost traction and the truck started hopping pretty bad and as soon as it setteled down the O/D light was flashing and speedo was all over the place.All I had to do was a battery disconnect and it was fine.I'm not sure what sensor causes it though when you find out let me know.

------------------
99 Black F150 4x4 4.2
Powerdyne SVO BD11-a Supercharger
12lb. of boost
24 psi.high flow fuel injectors
Port matched intake
Boost gauge 30"HG-20PSI A pillar mount
K&N air filter
JBA Headers
True dual exhaust with X pipe w/Flowmasters(2 1/2 in. pipe)
custom programed Superchip(Flip chip)
All black factory sport package.
Rhino Liner
GTO smoke headlight&tailight covers
limo tint

Old 05-30-2001, 09:25 PM
Question

Could be the vehical speed sensor failing,should be able to test this by using a scan tool. transmission shift points,converter lockup are all regulated by throttle position,vehical speed & engine load. the key here may be the erratic speedometer function.

JJ

------------------
2000 F150 XLT,Reg.Cab,LB,4.6,4R70W,3.55 F/D,Island Blue/Silver,Med.Graphite Int.,Keyless Entry,SRW,O/H console,All Pwr,CC,Ford soft Bed Cover,Sport Steps,Tow Pkg.,CD player,Prem.Cast Wheels

Old 05-30-2001, 11:39 PM
Exclamation

If you are overheating the trany when your pulling your laod the oil should smell, pull out you dipstick and take a wiff of it. If its burned it will smell very rank.

------------------
98 f150 4.6 auto 4x4 supercab-short box/bright red & black/6 disk cd changer/ dynomax cat back/k&n fipk/super chip/lund taillight covers/factory fog lamps/Ford mud flaps/pace edwards box cover/ultra wheels/LT265-75-16 BFG/ westin nerf bars/steel horse billit grill & bumper insert/reflex shocks/bosch plat. plus 4/accel wires/auto start/left hand grab handle/2001 lighting headlamp and corner lights/2002 Ski-Doo Summit 800 High Mark X

Old 05-31-2001, 12:03 AM
Happened again today. The chip can be ruled out, not that I was saying it was the chip for sure. The first time it happened I reset the computer and drove to Seattle a couple days later. The o/d light never came on. It only flashed for about 10 minutes today and then stopped before I got back to the base. It came on while I was driving about 30 and when it went off I was doing 55. Thats what kinda makes me think it is flashing becasue the tranny is overheating.

------------------
The truck:

Performance mods:
Gen. 2 K&N FIPK

Appearance:
White face gauges
Euro clear corners
01L headlights
Covercraft tonneau cover
Billet pedals
16" Modern© wheels
Bug deflector
Euro clear corners

Sound system:

Other:
Bedliner

Old 05-31-2001, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi King,

OK, since you've been able to determine that it happens without the Superchip, it's obviously not related to the Superchip.

It's time to have it checked out, and scanned for those error codes, for proper diagnosis. It's probably just a sensor, but that needs to be determined for sure.

Please do let us know what you find, & good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 06-01-2001, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds far out but my friend with an F-250LD, 5.4, E4OD had the same problem. The dealer replaced the speed sensor on the differential.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, Retrax Bed Cover, BedRug, XL Full Length Running Boards,EGR Fender Flares, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings, 265 70 16 tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks,Expedition Center Console

Old 06-01-2001, 01:15 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by T Ellenberger:
Sounds far out but my friend with an F-250LD, 5.4, E4OD had the same problem. The dealer replaced the speed sensor on the differential.

</font>
How much did that cost?

------------------
hope this works.

------------------
The truck:

Performance mods:
Gen. 2 K&N FIPK

Appearance:
White face gauges
Euro clear corners
01L headlights
Covercraft tonneau cover
Billet pedals
16" Modern© wheels
Bug deflector
Euro clear corners

Sound system:

Other:
Bedliner

n6260k@cs.com

<A HREF="http://www.f150world.com/v8speeddemon" TARGET=_blank>www.f150world.com/v8speeddemon </A>

Quick Reply: tranny problems caused by chip?