Questions about installing a chip...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about installing a chip...

How much technical know-how does one need to install a chip, what kind of special tools do you need and approx. how long does it take?
Thanks for all of you guys posts. I've been reading for awhile now.
PS Could anyone recommend to good mechanic in the Atlanta area?

Old 05-24-2001, 05:00 PM

Hi Ubaney,

One doesn't have to be a genius to Install the superchip,the instructions are pretty straight forward. Myself and two friends installed mine this morning,took about 1 1/2 hour. What took most of the time was cleaning the contacts. the tools you need is a 10mm socket and rachet handle to pull the plug from off the computer a 10mm spanner may work as well. Some alcohol along with few cotton swabs to clean the contacts and a small jewellers screw driver to assist in cleaning the contacts.

Probably Mike T.will give you a few more pointers.

Sorry I can't help you with the mechanic though. I live in the Caribbean.

All I can say though is enjoy the ride with the superchip.It is worth it.

Old 05-24-2001, 06:36 PM
Smile

Ubaney.
Lots of people here install the chip themselves. I think most would tell you it's pretty easy. Fowl has intructed you as to what tools you would need. In my opinion it dosn't require a machanic to do the installation, but being mechanically inclined would be helpful. I don't think someone who has never done any type of car repair would think the chip install is easy. A Superchip purchased from Performance Products (Mike Troyer) comes with a great set of instructions. I think if one, reviews the instructions and checks out where on the truck thing are located, then feels confident they can tackle the project, then one should go for it!
It took me about an hour and a half to install mine. Like most cleaning the contacts took most of the time.
I don't know how much you have read but there are lots of treads from the past that might give you some insight.
Sorry this is so long. I don't know how to get right to the point!
Good luck!
Tom

------------------
'98 F150 XLT,short bed, STX appearance group, 4.6, 5-speed.
Current mods: K&N air filter, cat back exhaust (Flowmaster 40 w/dual rear side exit), Superchip.
Future mods: short throw shifter, K&N FIPK, lowered suspension, other things seen here!

Old 05-24-2001, 07:43 PM
ubaney i have never worked on a car or truck in my life and all i did was follow instructions and it was easy. just make sure the computer contacts are clean and thats all. if i could do it anyone could do it. it took me appox 2 hours and most of that was re-reading the instuctions again and again and again and cleaning the contacts -you can do it.

------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
MODS:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP(FLIP CHIP)
ROLL & LOCK TONNEAU

being installed as of 5/22/01
GIBSON CAT BACK
GIBSON HEADER
REFLEXX COBRA HOOD
STREET SCENE GRILL
HOLLEY THUNDER SUPERCHARGE
PILLER GAUGES

Old 05-25-2001, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi ubaney,

The Superchip is easy enough to install that just over 98% of our customers install it themselves.

Some people take 30 minutes to do it, the norm is about 30-45 minutes, but there are some people who go slower, taking their time and doing it at a relaxed comfortable pace, or who it include the time it takes to read all of the documentation we include in their installation times, etc. So you'll some some people posting that they took an hour or longer, and some people posting that they did it in 30 minutes or so.

We write a considerable amount of additional documentation over what the manufactuer provides with every Superchip that we ship to our customers, so it takes some time to read thru all of that, simply because we're thorough, & write the documentation so that a first-time installer can get thru this with no surprises.

You don't need any "special" tools, just a 10mm socket & rachet & a small flat-brade screwdriver.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call, and we'll be happy to go thru all of this with you, so you can give it some thought.

Best of luck with your truck, & we hope you'll continue to hang out here on F-150 Online with us in your spare time!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 05-25-2001, 02:11 PM
Smile

Guys,
I REALLY appreciate such fast response to my questions.
Mike, does Superchip have a flip chip for my truck and if so, is the price comparable to the regular chip? Can I install that one myself as well? I understand the policies concerning exact prices thats why I asked in a yes or no kinda way. I'd call but... it's a long story!
Thanks UB

Old 05-25-2001, 06:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I can put mine in,or take it out for a dealer trip in about ten minutes or less now. I'm a pro I hate taking it out,though. Gotta love those coffee breaks you can take while waiting for the 1/2 shift to get overwith,lol. ,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT 4x2 Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
Yep,it has alot of stuff installed on it,I just got sick of lugging that huge sig. around,hehe
Come and see my newest pictures@ www.my-f150.com

Everything is shown there,except for the Superchip,Thanks Mike T!!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Now,if it only looked like this in real life

Old 05-25-2001, 08:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi ubaney,

Yes, we can make any Ford a Flip Chip application, and no, they're not the same price. Naturally there is a price difference between the single-program Superchip and the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip.

If you can't call out, it must be tough to get online to the Internet! (I'm joking with you here, I assume you're talking about not being able to make a long-distance call, of course.)

All kidding aside, you can shoot us an email for that info if you like, our contact info is all just below, and we'll be happy to go over that with you. Or, you can simply click on the link just below to our F-150 Online Superchip Ordering system, and that will take you to the page that shows that information. You'll see that the Flip Chip is listed as being for the Lightning, but don't let that throw you, it's the same basic unit for the regular F-150.

And yes, the Flip Chip is just as easy to install as the single-program Superchip is, the module looks the same externally except for the 2-position toggle switch.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-25-2001, 08:43 PM
Talking

I installed 2 chips one in each truck last night. It took me less than 2hrs to do both, piece of cake. I removed the battery and battery box to make it a little easier.Go for it!!

------------------
His: 1997 XL, Flareside,Red,4.2
V-6,Auto,Am-Fm W/ CD,K&N,
Flowmaster,Superchip,Chrome Westin Nerf Bars,
Chrome Bed Rails, Class 3 Hitch.
Hers:1999 XLT Sport,Flareside,Black,
4.2 V-6,Auto,Am-Fm W/CD,
K&N, Flowmaster,Superchip,Snuglid,
Factory Running Boards,Class 3 Hitch.

[This message has been edited by BUZZF-150 (edited 05-25-2001).]

Old 05-25-2001, 11:45 PM
Mike or anyone else
I have yet t get a flip chip but plan to do so as money allows. My question is why are some people removing the battery and battery tray. I was thinking all you had to do is reamove the kick panal and possible the door sill and you would have acces to it. Please inform of the correct way.

Old 05-27-2001, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Buzz,

Congratulations on His & Hers Superchipped F-150's, that might be a first around here! There are husbands who have installed Superchips in their wives vehicles of other kinds of course, but I think you might be the first with His & Her Superchippped F-150's.

Glad your installations went smooth, have fun & enjoy your Superchips!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 05-27-2001, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi KYFordFreak,

It depends on how each F-150 is configured from the factory, many don't need to do that. For example, if you have the Offroad Package (ORP), there will be components mounted on the firewall just above the wiring harness where it attaches to the front of the computer, and in that case, you will either need to remove the battery and it's tray to gain access to that harness, or use a long entension & a swivel socket.

It's all a matter of whether or not your F-150 was built with a configuration that puts that additional equipment there on the firewall over top of the ECU's wiring harness. All Offroad models will have it, along with a few others.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-27-2001).]

Old 05-27-2001, 09:17 PM
Wink

KYFordFreak,

You could do the install without removing the battery and tray. It's a lot easier to access to connector going to the computer with them out. It's just 4 bolts for the tray, battery hold down and battery cables. No need to remove kick panel or door sill just pop off the clip holding the rear of the computer and out it comes, after removing the connector under the hood of course.

BUZZ

------------------
His: 1997 XL, Flareside,Red,4.2
V-6,Auto,Am-Fm W/ CD,K&N,
Flowmaster,Superchip,Chrome Westin Nerf Bars,
Chrome Bed Rails, Class 3 Hitch.
Hers:1999 XLT Sport,Flareside,Black,
4.2 V-6,Auto,Am-Fm W/CD,
K&N, Flowmaster,Superchip,Snuglid,
Factory Running Boards,Class 3 Hitch.

[This message has been edited by BUZZF-150 (edited 05-27-2001).]

Quick Reply: Questions about installing a chip...