SuperChip and warranty

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 05:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SuperChip and warranty

Mike,

I have read several of the posts about the Super Chip, as I am doing research for the best product for my vehicle. I have a couple questions about the product:
1. Does the SuperChip void any warranty?

2a. Is there some type of switch to mount for the "Flip Chip" to change the octane variable program?

2b. Is there any info on performance running lower octane vs. higher?

3. Does the chip need to be re-programmed after doing modifications to the vehicle that effect hp/torque/airflow etc?

------------------
www.f150world.com/HouScrew
Truck Specifications: 2001 Ford F150 4X4 Lariat SuperCrew (Gen.I) Amazon Green w/Harvest Gold Trim, 5.4L V-8, HD Tow Package, Bed Extender, Moon roof, Captains Chairs(front only), full leather interior as well as standard features in Lariat package.

List of current modifications so far: Stagecoach bug guard,
Billit Grill,
Westin chrome nerf bars, front windows tinted, wood grain kit, AudioVox 6.5" flipdown TV and VCP(DVD soon to come), Sony M610 flipdown head unit, Code SureStart Remote Start and Alarm system.

Waiting to be installed: Sony 10 disc changer, AudioBahn 5 1/4 component system front and rear, 3 AudioBahn 8" subs, 2 AudioBahn Amps

Future Modifications: AirForce One FIPK, Chip enhancement(don't know which one yet), spray in bed liner, bed cover, dual exhaust sytem

Old 05-24-2001, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Sorry, it's not Mike.
You've asked some very good questions. I think these are things that all chip users asked when trying to figure out whether or not to use a chip and what kind would be best. In fact I have seen questions like this on the posts in the past. You might want to review some of the posts from the past to get an idea of what a chip can and can't do for your truck. You might also see some things that you hadn't thought of yet.
I bought a Superchip here from Performance Products. I am very happy with the chip and the service from Performance Products. Stick around, you'll find what your looking for.
Good luck!
Tom

------------------
'98 F150 XLT,short bed, STX appearance group, 4.6, 5-speed.
Current mods: K&N air filter, cat back exhaust (Flowmaster 40 w/dual rear side exit), Superchip.
Future mods: short throw shifter, K&N FIPK, lowered suspension, other things seen here!

Old 05-25-2001, 01:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Hou-Screw,

Good questions!

1.) No, the Superchip does not void your warranty.

2.) Yes, hence it's name. There is a 2-position toggle switch attached to a 2-3 foot long twisted-pair lead that exists the Superchip, so you can mount it where you want, and just flip the switch to change programs.

3.) The power gains on 87 octane are of course going to be small, 3-5 more peak horsepower. The automakers didn't leave any significant amount of power laying on the table in their tuning for 87 octane. The maximum rated power gain in our performance program for premium gasoline for the 5.4 is a maximum of 28 hp. & 46 lbs./ft. of torque. In round numbers, think of it as a 10%-12% power-gainer on premium gas. The way we normally set up the Flip Chip when we do an 87 & 92 octane combo is to make both programs identical, save for the octane level the engine is tuned for. That way, you get all the other benefits no matter which program you run on, all of the transitional delays & retards have been removed, etc. So even on the 87 octane side, the vehicle is going to be more responsive, and it will accelerate a bit quicker, and then the real raw power gain will of course come on the premium gas side.

4.) No and yes. Most of the simple bolt-ons don't require any compensation, things like K&N air filters, airbox elimination kits, cat-back exhaust systems, etc. do not require a change in the program in these F-150's & Expeditions, etc. Things like changing the mass airflow meter, and of course major mods like supercharging, ported heads, nitrous, gear ratio changes, etc. will require custom programming, and the Superchip can be updated at any point in the future should you ever decide to do those types of modifications.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, or just ask questions, etc., please feel free to give us a call, we're happy to go over anything you'd like.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: SuperChip and warranty