Got Them

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Got Them

Hey Guys this is my first time posting here, though I have been a avid reader of the site ever since I bought my 2000 5.4. Well after reading how much fun you guys are having with your superchips and fipk's I went and ordered them from the online store. They just arrived today. I am taking the day off work tomorrow to install them. After I am done I will post the results and let you guys know.

Old 05-24-2001, 10:29 AM
Hey Fowl,

Congratulations. I can't wait to get my chip next month. I've already installed the K&N FIPK and it's awesome. You'll feel the extra hp right away, and you'll also hear a nice rumble out of it when you give it a little gas.

Old 05-24-2001, 02:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Fowl,

Congratulations!

It's a great feeling to be able to spend a few hours putting a couple of simple inexpensive bolt-on parts on your vehicle, and be able to enjoy a significant performance increase, that's enough to make any of us grin.

To answer your question, as long as you aren't getting any detonation (meaning whether you are hearing any "pinging", what is commonly referred to as "spark knock", or "detonation"), you'll be OK. You had 89 to start with, not 87, so that helps a bit.

What we normally recommend is to run the tank of regular down until you see the low fuel light come on, then fill it up with premium, and *then* install the Superchip. When the low fuel light first comes on, at that point you still have anywhere from 3 to as much as 6 gallons still in the system, so you're still going to get some "dilution" of the incoming higher octane fuel, but not enough to cause detonation unless the fuel quality is poor.

In your case, with 1/4 tank of 89 octane, and then topping off with premium, that usually won't cause a problem, you usually just won't get as much performance out of it as you could; but that will come as you run a few more tanks of 92 or 93 octane thru it. What I would suggest at this point is to run this tank down as low as you can without running out of gas, and then just fill up with premium. In a few tanks, there won't be any more 89 octane left to dilute incoming 92 or 93 octane, and you'll get all the performance it's capable of delivering.

Glad to hear everything is installed, & have fun enjoying your mods!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 05-24-2001, 05:32 PM
Hi Steve.

Thanks for your reply. Thanks also Mike.

As you have seen Grand Cayman, though the name sounds big "GRAND" it is still a very small place. As you may have heard it is about 7 1/2 miles wide by 22 miles long. So if you were at seven mile beach I can safely say that you were seven miles from where I live. Which is in the heart of George town.

I hope that you enjoyed the beach and the variety of restaurants on SMB.

Next time you come on vacation spend a bit more time here, small place but lots to see.

Did you see the Blow Holes in East End?

See yah.

Old 05-24-2001, 08:47 PM
F150online
Founder
Fowl,

This was our second time there. We absolutely love it. I continue to be surprised by the number of full-size trucks, especially F150's. I even saw a Lightning while we were hanging out at Fidel Murphy's. If you are curious, our full trip report and photo gallery are at http://128.242.213.88/cayman2001/tripreport.html

Some day, I WILL have a place on SMB...

Old 05-24-2001, 11:05 PM
Cool

Steve,

I read the information about your trip in May. It seems that you know more about Cayman than I do. Those are very nice pictures that you took. Glad to have you Guys visit this little Island "Paradise" for the second time. Yes we have quite a bit of F150's here. Think we have about four Lightnings.But guess what? Very little roads.

By the way SMB is a very nice place to live. Good choice.

Old 05-25-2001, 12:04 AM
Cool

Well guys, I did it. Got up this morning about 6am buy 7 am I went and got two friend to help me install the Fipk and super chip. First we did the fipk, and when we started the truck, man a huge smile came over my face when I heard that manly grumble that came from it. The sound was good enough for me to be satisfied. We checked for leaks and any weird sounds as stated in the manual there was none. So we went on the second challange that it the world renouned SUPERCHIP. we followed the instructions to the letter. I must say though that the how to article found on f-150 world was a big help. So after removing the computer, we took it over to the work area pulled it up clean off the goo, gently cleaned the connectors installed the superchip, replace the computer. Now came the test. Put in my key...... The truck started right up. I jumped in the truck and took off. I immediately felt a difference in the shifts. I had about 1/4 tank of 89 octane gas. So I went to the gas station and filled it up with 93.

I must tell you guys, all I can say is WOW. These thing are good. The whole installation took us about 3 hours as we were chatting and laughing how my foot wont let up off the gas pedal.

A question for Mike T. Will any of my sensors or super chip be damaged since I filled it up with 93 on a 1/4 tank of 89. We do not have 87 octain here. So I have always used 89. Any other comments from you guys we be helpful. Also thanks Ford Faithful for your response.

Well I am off to clean my baby and take her for a long ride to help with the learning process.

I will keep you guys informed of my progress.

Old 05-25-2001, 12:09 AM
Ah Steve, you brought up old memories. I took a peek at your photo gallery. My wife and I stayed in a condo just across the street from the Lone Star a few years ago. It was ironic to be from Texas and see the "Lone Star" and of course we chuckled a little, until we found that the guy and his brother are actually from Austin!

The turtle pictures reminded me of a night I sat out on the beach with a West Indies Stout, a Cuban Romeo e Julietta and started seeing sea turtles get beached so off I went (more that one Stout) and put them back out in the water. It was wild!!

Now we have a little girl but we hope to go back with her once we feel she's flight ready!!

Thanks for sharing your trip!

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Follow Me...<--

Old 05-25-2001, 12:10 AM
F150online
Founder
Fowl,

Congrats on the purchases! Where in Cayman are you from? My Wife and I just returned from a (way too) brief vacation on SMB.

Steve