I need Ideas For my 4.2 please

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need Ideas For my 4.2 please

I have a 1998 ford f-150 with a 4.2 auto. I have installed a airaid intake arm, dual flowmaster exhaust, and also a jet performance chip. I honastly have not been to thrilled with the power. My truck has absoultely no problems but I want to know if mabe a ignition system or headers would make a significant difference. PLease someone tell me the brand name and also where I
could find some upgrades.

------------------
~~~SwAmPFoX25~~~~~

Old 05-14-2001, 11:28 PM
Smile

I have got the 4.6, so I can't give you first hand experiance. There is a thread by hdeck, about the Superchip with a 4.2. He seems to have a few good mods.
I've got the Superchip in my truck. It has given me noticeable gains. That might be something to consider. Is the Jet chip giving you the best performance you can get from a chip?
A good place to go to check out mods is www.enjoytheride.com. It is a SEMA site. I've found it very informative.
Good luck.
Tom

Old 05-15-2001, 03:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Swampfox25,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

Your Airaid intake system works well, they add about 10 horsepower to the 4.2 V-6, so you've done well there. Your "dual Flowmaster exhaust" may be fine, or it may be questionable, as if it's really what we call these days a "true dual" system, with dual pipes & mufflers front to rear, what has probably happened is that while you've gained horsepower at higher rpms at heavy throttle, you've also actually *lost* torque on the low end & in the mid-range. If it's a single in, dual out system, then you should be OK, but even some of them can cost you torque. I wouldn't change the exhaust just yet though, as you may very well be able to get a satisfying result out of what you have.

Your Jet chip isn't doing much, if anything, for the performance of that vehicle I'm afraid, that is a common complaint of the Jet chips. You might want to give some thought to trying the Superchip for your vehicle, as it is the single most cost-effective performance enhancer you can add, nothing else will add as much performance for less money.

The 4.2 V-6 has a good power output stock at 205 hp, but it's pretty weak below 2500 rpm, and the Superchip can help with that, as well as add significantly more power than your present Jet chip, and we guarantee it. There have been a number of F-150 owners, with both V-6's and V-8's, who have tried both the Jet chip and the Superchip on their vehicle, and every one who has done that has always prefered the Superchip, as it actually works. It not only adds power, but it works adding power *all* the time, at any throttle position. The maximum rated gains from the Superhcip for teh 4.2 V-6 are 25 horsep[ower and 31 lbs./ft. of torque. In round numbers, it's going to maker your vehicle feel like you just picked up about 10%-12% more motor under the hood, is a good way to describe it,. You will also love what it does to improve the shift characteristics of your automatic transmission.

That would be my suggestion, and then once you have the Superchip installed, you can then decide if you still need more performance, or if that is enough for you.

Other things you can do are to install underdrive pulleys, a set of headers, and convert over to electric cooling fans. Those are generally the next few things that a number of F-150 owners here have done after they've already done a good chip, intake, & exhaust.

If you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, or just ask questions, talk about where you really want the performance of your F-150 to be at and how to get there, etc., please feel free to give us a call at our number listed below, we'll be happy to go over all of that with you, so you can give it some thought.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 05-15-2001, 03:40 PM
I don't have a 4.2, but I just installed a Superchip (from Performance Products) in my F-150 (Supercrew w/ 5.4). I think you will like the difference in throttle response as well as the shifting. For what it's worth, a local shop told me they quit selling Jet chips because of the number of failures. A few months ago, I installed a Gibson Swept Side cat-back exhaust (from truckperformance.com) and a K&N replacement filter (from AutoZone). They made a little difference, but not as much as the Superchip. I would still recommend the combination, Chip/Exhaust/Intake.

Quick Reply: I need Ideas For my 4.2 please