ordered my 4.2L chip today, what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 11:09 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ordered my 4.2L chip today, what to expect?

1998 F-150 Longbed 4.2L V-6 manual.
I currently have 4.30 gears with an Auburn Posi. High flow exhaust and Intake with Custom Airbox.

This will be my first attempt at a computer chip as all my previous machines have had 4-barrel Carbs. This is my first computer controlled vehicle. Will this put a smile on my face like the 4.30 geas did? I ran a 16.90 in the 1/4 with the K&N filter mod. Can I expect a mid 16? maybe? How is everyday driving with this chip? does it work at part throttle?

Old 05-13-2001, 11:11 PM
Banned
oops sorry I meant to say 16.90 without the K&N filter mod, not with. That time was with the 4.30 gears and exhaust.

Old 05-14-2001, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi hdeck,

Well, the first thing to remember, as you probably already know, is that you cannot ever compare times run on different days, so the only way you would ever have known what the Superchip would do compared to that 16.90 time you ran previously would have been to run with and without the Superchip on that *same* day. Trying to compare times run on different days will *never* tell you what a particular modification did for your 1/4 mile times.

So to find out what the Superchip actually does for *your* vehicle with those modifications, the only way you'll ever know is to do properly formatted back-to-back testing on the same day, a format of 3 runs over a 90 minute period of time. You'll need to do a 30-minute cooldown between each run, along with a reset of the computer each time you change programs, to properly isolate each program. As a matter of fact, we'll go ahead and send you out our drag racing tips sheet for Lightning owners with your Superchip, as that will give you the exact procedure that we use when doing drag-strip testing.

Generally speaking, what you're going to get from the Superchip is a 10%-12% increase in power, and yes, it also works on part-throttle as well, a performance chip that doesn't add power on part-throttle is worthless, in our opinion. The Superchip is the only one that adds power at any throttle position and still maintains strict 50-state emissions certification.

Most people see anywhere from a 3-5 tenths reduction in 1/4 mile times with those manual-tranny 4.2 V-6's, as they are very weak at lower rpms, and respond very nicely to the Superchip. However, in your case, with those 4.30 gears, you've already pretty much taken care of the low-rpm weakness that is inherent in the 4.2 by getting it up into it's power band much quicker than it normally would, so it will be interesting to see what kinds of improvements you get in 1/4 mile times.

Just remember that for the best performance with your Superchip, make sure to only use the best quality premium gasolines available to you, as fuel quality makes all the difference in the world in the performance of the vehicle with the Superchip installed. Texaco, Amoco, and in some areas Citgo works pretty well. Steer clear of Exxon, BP, Hess, Coastal & any "off-brand" or "no-name" fuels, as you never know what you're getting.

You'll be able to feel the part-throttle gains when you're towing that race car, as we discussed in email.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-14-2001).]

Old 05-14-2001, 06:15 PM
Smile

Hdeck,
I installed a Superchip in my F150 a couple of months ago. I think for thoes who "know" their vehicle, the Superchip gives noticeable gains. I have not yet had the thrill of running the quarter mile, but this truck is much more responsive in every day driving situations.
Mike, where can I get a copy of the tip sheet? I would like to do some testing. There is a strip in NH I would like to run at.
Tom

Old 05-15-2001, 03:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi hdeck,

I think I owe you an apology, as your overnight shipment went out before I could get that tips sheet included, oops, my apologies!

If you wouldn't mind shooting us a quick email, we'll be happy to respond back with that tips sheet in an email attachment to you, hdeck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 05-15-2001, 03:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Tom!

Easy!

Our policy for that is simple, any of our customers can get a copy of that quick & dirty "drag racing tips sheet for Lightning owners" by emailing us with their name, and we'll be happy to email them back with that tips sheet included as an attachment to the email.

It's written specifically for Lightning owners, but don't worry about that, the techniques used will work fine for any vehicle, and is what we do when testing to see what gains the Superchip or other modifications are actually doing for the vehicle on a given day.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: ordered my 4.2L chip today, what to expect?