Superchip and octane levels

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Superchip and octane levels

i know this is a kind of stupid question, but around here Petro Canada serves up 87, 89, 91 and sunoco serves up 87, 89.5, 91, 94 now can i use the 89/89.5 octanes with the chip, or what if i have a half tank of 91/94 then put in the 89.5/89, will that work? its kinda hard buyin the TOP fuel all the time.
Also, what will happen to my top speed limiter and rev limiter? where will they end up? i hear the speed loses it cap, but i think i would need a 200 km/h cut off, cause i know if the speed is there, sooner or later i will push it and i dont want to blow out my tires! And, lastly, i plan on installin the 4.10 gears on top of my 3.55, how long does it take and how much work is it to get the chip re-burned?
THANX

------------------
The TRUCK:
1999 Black F150 XLT Sport 4x4 Flareside, 4.6 Triton V-8, Manual Transmission, Captains Chairs, Power Everything.

Appearance Changes:
Button-down Tonneau Cover, Webasto Sunroof, Spray-on Bed-liner, Xenon Fog and Headlights, Blackwidow Car Alarm, Window Tint, Wet Okole Seats (ALL).

Stereo:
2 10" Kicker CompVR's on Fosgate 360a2, Kicker Components Front & Fosgate 5x7 Rear on Fosgate 200a4, Blaupunkt Muchen Deck.

Performance:
265/70 R17 Yokohama Geolandar A/T+, Borla Split-Rear Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N FIPK.

Old 05-10-2001, 04:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Coolsvile,

As the saying goes, there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers, so I'll try to avoid doing that.

1.) You must use a minimum octane of 92 with the single-program Superchip. Not 89, not 89.5, not 90. You can use 92, 93, or 94 octane. Also, just so you'll know, you'll want to use only the best quality gasoline available, don't use cheap gasolines, as you won't get the perforamnce or mileage you could with better fuels, to say nothing of the quality of the detergent additives. You should *always* use only the best quality fuels available for best performance & mileage from your vehicle, stock or chipped. In the cheaper brand and "no-name" brands, the energy content is generally signficantly lower, and thus it won't give the performance or mileage that a better fuel will.

2.) The top speed limiter is normally removed. If you want it set to a certain speed, then that is a custom program. However, that really isn't much of a problem with your vehicle, as you don't have enough power to push that vehicle much over about 115 mph, maybe 120 mph tops, which is under 200 kph (124 mph) unless you do more modifications than the Superchip, an intake and an exhaust to that 4.6 motor. You'll need higher speed rated tires to drive at anything over 100 mph for sustained periods.

3.) The rev limiters are intact, only the top speed limniter is removed. We do not remove a rev limiter unless it's a pure racing application, and even then it's very rare.

4.) For custom programming prices, we ask that you please contact us privately, off the message boards, as the Webmaster of F-150 has a firm policy of not having pricing issues discussed here on the message boards, and we thank you in advance for your understanding. Our contact info us listed just below, you can either shoot us an email or give us a call, and we'll be happy to get you that info ASAP.

Good luck with your truck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 05-11-2001, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanx mike

you know, as long as i have been a member here you are always supplyin valuable information to all of us, and it is greatly appreciated. I will make sure i give you a phone call sometime in the near future about the superchip, now i just have to decide if i should do the chip before or after the 4.10 gears to save me the re-burning of the chip. decisions decisions, oh well.

talk to ya later, thanx!

------------------
The TRUCK:
1999 Black F150 XLT Sport 4x4 Flareside, 4.6 Triton V-8, Manual Transmission, Captains Chairs, Power Everything.

Appearance Changes:
Button-down Tonneau Cover, Webasto Sunroof, Spray-on Bed-liner, Xenon Fog and Headlights, Blackwidow Car Alarm, Window Tint, Wet Okole Seats (ALL).

Stereo:
2 10" Kicker CompVR's on Fosgate 360a2, Kicker Components Front & Fosgate 5x7 Rear on Fosgate 200a4, Blaupunkt Muchen Deck.

Performance:
265/70 R17 Yokohama Geolandar A/T+, Borla Split-Rear Cat-Back Exhaust, K&N FIPK.

Old 05-12-2001, 05:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Cool,

You're very welcome, anytime, & thanks for your kinds words of support, they're greatly appreciated.

Since you're going to do a 4.10 gear change in a 1999 or newer F-150, you will need to have a custom program done to correct the speedometer error & ododmeter error that will immediately result from the change to a 4.10 gear ratio (or any different gear ratio from stock, of course). And since you're going to need a custom program anyway, the cheapest & smartest way to do this is to do it in the 2-program Superchip Flip Chip, because the manufacturer includes in its price the cost of custom programming.

So then it really becomes a question of just how long do you think it's going to be before you realistically do the gear ratio change? If it's going to be awhile, then you might want to go ahead and get the Superchip now so you can enjoy it immediately, and then we'll just update it for you when you actually do the gear ratio change. Or, if you're going to be doing that change soon, in the next 4-6 weeks or so instead of months down the road, then I'd say to wait, and let's just do your custom program for you to begin with.

We can sometimes work out a deal that makes it worthwhile for you to be able to start enjoying the Superchip now, and have it updated when you need that to be done.

My suggestion would be to just give us a call at some point, and let's talk about how we can put this together for you in the most cost-effective way for whatever your schedule & needs are, and just do what makes the best sense for you.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-12-2001).]

Quick Reply: Superchip and octane levels