empty tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 06:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question empty tank?

i have a quick question? should i install my chip in my truck on an empty tank of gas? since it is said to run it on 93 octane does that mean i need to install it after i run my tank down??? another question how long will it take before i notice the differance???

Old 05-02-2001, 07:06 AM
take off neg battery cable--turn on headlights wait 5 mins to reset your computer turn off lights reconnect bat cable and go fill up with prem gas--and your all set. should notice the differents within a couple of hundred miles.
yes, i would fill it up with premium before i added the chip, but i don't think thats a major concern. don't think one tank of reg gas will matter that much.

[This message has been edited by Predator1 (edited 05-02-2001).]

Old 05-02-2001, 07:13 AM
it really takes that long to notice a difference??? what do the headlights have to do w/ it?? i really dont know much when it comes to installing anything i usullay take it the shop but i am going to attempt to put it my self. it should arrive in a day or 2 i think ... anyway so i should definitly have a full tank of 93 in there???[

------------------
Rene
White F-150 Supercab
dual flowmaster out of side
k&n air filter
Kenwood system with JL audio woofers and alpine amp

sticker "You call me a B***H like it's a bad thing!!"
viper 600 alarm
tinted windows

Old 05-02-2001, 07:17 AM
it really takes that long to notice a difference??? what do the headlights have to do w/ it?? i really dont know much when it comes to installing anything i usullay take it the shop but i am going to attempt to put it my self. it should arrive in a day or 2 i think ... anyway so i should definitly have a full tank of 93 in there???[

------------------
Rene
White F-150 Supercab
k&n air filter

viper 600 alarm
tinted windows

Old 05-02-2001, 07:20 AM
tazz--i am a accountant and i can't poor water out of a boot the right way and i actually installed my super chip and even got it clean the first time, have to admit that it took me about 2 hours to do it cause i was super cautious about following instructions and i cleaned and cleaned and cleaned my chip over and over again. that goo is hard to get off completly--just follow the instructions and clean good. i think most people install in under an hour.
supposely the head lights drain all the energy out of any capacitors in the computer(just going by what ive read on here in past messages and the ventor of the chip says to do it.)
i notice the change right away in shifting and power on the first tank of gas.
------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
MODS:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP(FLIP CHIP)
ROLL & LOCK TONNEAU

[This message has been edited by Predator1 (edited 05-02-2001).]

Old 05-02-2001, 07:26 AM
thanks predator1 the only reason i was concerned as to whether i can do it my self is first i am a female second i have never done any of the mods to my truck.....beleive me that sucks cause it can get expensive ....but my hubby knows how to so i will just have him giude me though as well as read the directions.. anyway i have read here that it should only take about 50 -75 miles to notice the differance so everyone give me your input......

------------------
Rene
White F-150 Supercab
k&n air filter

viper 600 alarm
tinted windows

Old 05-02-2001, 07:53 AM
rene--you can the install it is easy--i have a 4x4 and had to take out the battery and the battery case to get to the computer and your prob right about 50 to 75 i just know it was noticed by me in the first tank.
good luck

Old 05-02-2001, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi tazz,

What we suggest is after you've ordered the Superchip, continue to use up the 87 octane gas you have in the tank, and let it run as low as you dare (*without* running the risk of running out of gas). Usually most people just let it go down until the low fuel light comes on, then fill it up with high-quality premium gas, and then install your Superchip.

When the low fuel light comes on, you have somewhere between 3-6 gallons left in the system, so you can still do some driving, just be careful and don't let yourself run out!

Also, as long as you follow our instructions, you'll start feeling that Superchip very quickly. What we normally do after an installation is to take the vehicle out for a 20 mile drive, and do different types of driving, including at least 2 or 3 full-throttle bursts long enough to allow the 1-2 and the 2-3 upshift at full-throttle on the automatics, and a similar length of time at full-throttle for the manuals. I don't mean abuse the vehicle, just let it have it's run a bit, so to speak, and you'll feel what that Superchip is doing.

In terms of what to expect, your truck is going to feel like you picked up about 10%-12% more motor under the hood, is a good way to describe it. It's not going to feel like a shot of nitrous or a supercharger of course, but it's a nice 10%-12% power gainer, which is great for it's low cost.

If you have any questions about your installation when your Superchip arrives (or before), and after reading all of the included documentation, please just give us a call, and we'll be happy to help & answer any questions you may have, we're just a phone call away!

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 05-02-2001).]

Old 05-02-2001, 04:09 PM
You will notice the difference right away

------------------
OO L Black, Superchip R9, Airaid FIPK and Tonneau cover 1999 F-150 Lariat SC Flareside, 2WD, White/Silver 5.4L, 3.55LS, K&N FIPK, Power Pulley Set, 16" Permacool electric fan, Flowmaster 40 series, Superchip, Captains chairs and tow package

Old 05-02-2001, 06:27 PM
ok thanks ... i have a full tank right now and i guess i will wait to install it when it runs out... by the way i usually am very careful at noticing when my low feul light comes on so like i said i will let yall know how it runs when ever i receive the chip hopefully another day or soi ordered it on the 30th soit should be here soon....

Old 05-02-2001, 07:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi tazz,

Just so you'll know what to expect, normal delivery time to Texas when shipped via UPS Ground is 3-4 working days.

If you would like your UPS tracking number, please just shoot us a quick email with your name so we can look you up, and we'll be happy to email back to your UPS tracking number for your shipment, which you can then track 24hrs. a day until it arrives!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 05-02-2001, 09:32 PM
Question

thanks for the replys MIKE i will definatly call if i have trouble installing.... but after reading here i really think that even i should be able to do it....i am waiting for it to get out of the shop..i was hopung to have it back today so i could go ahead and run the gas out but it's still there i will get it tomorrow i was hoping to have the truck before the chip cause i am real anxious to try it out but i dont want to not get the best preformance.....by the way i was reading in the forum about the different types of gas and if my truck is supposed to run 87octane and i start pumping 92 in it <cause the chip reqiures it> will this mess up my engine??? anyway thanks again and write soon

------------------
Rene
White F-150XL Supercab
4.2L 5 speed
Bug Deflector
Window vizors
Tinted windows<w/ limo tint on back and side windows in rear
K&N air filter
two chambered Flomaster w/ duals 3 in tips rounded
Superchip<well in a few days>
Kenwood stereo w/flip down cd player
2 JLAUDIO woofers w/ 4 5-7 door speakers
alpine V12 amp
Viper 600 alarm

Future mods
Bedliner< undesided>
Tonneau cover
Grill gaurd

Old 05-02-2001, 09:42 PM
92 will not mess up your motor. It is actually better. It also runs cleaner(less emissions).

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4 ORP. Automatic, Reg. cab, 3.55LS, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start, Modern 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, White faced gauges, electronic shift on the fly, Clarion ADX5655z Double Din Cassette & CD, 4 Pioneer TS-A6865 speakers and superchip.

Future mods: Supercharger, headers, NOS, tranny upgrade(heavy duty gears, clutch packs, etc.), performance torque converter, composite driveshaft, bore cylinders 30 over, new pistons, crank, and rods, get performance heads or port the ones I have, gauges for the a-pillar, new L if they still make them and I like the way it looks, and a Z06 Vette or BMW Z3.

Click here to see more pictures

Old 05-02-2001, 10:12 PM
NO NEED TO WAIT FOR EMPTY TANK. WHY NOT ADD AN OCTANE BOOSTER TO THE LOW OCTANE GAS IN YOUR TANK THEN YOU'RE ALL SET.

[This message has been edited by ARUNOB (edited 05-03-2001).]

Quick Reply: empty tank?