Thanks Mike, It was worth the wait.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Thanks Mike, It was worth the wait.

My original post:

Here's what’s been done so far. This chip was originally programmed for my 97' Ranger and it worked fine the 2 years that it was in my Ranger. I then removed it from my Ranger and sent the chip to performance products to have it reflashed for my 97' F150. When I got it back from Performance Products I took the computer out of the F150, totally disassembled it and cleaned terminals thoroughly as instructed.

I then installed the chip and the truck would not start. After two more tries doing the same thing I called Performance Products for their help. I was told that apparently the terminals were still not clean and I was instructed to remove the computer and clean them again, which I did two more times. The truck did start but the check engine light came on and stayed on. The truck ran real rough with black smoke coming out the exhaust.

Then I called Superchips tech support that got me in touch with my local Superchips dealer. They reflashed the chip again and installed it in my truck with the same results of black smoke and check engine light. They hooked up the truck to a diagnostic machine and found the computer to be running in a safe mode. They removed the chip.

The local dealer ordered a brand new chip, flashed that one and installed it in my truck, again achieving the same results of black smoke and check engine light. The computer put itself into a safe mode. The local dealer called Superchips directly and as of this time we have no idea why it's not working.

So, I've lost $150.00, not to mention loss of use of my truck for two days, and still don't have a chip that works. Is there any guidance that you can give me? Is there something else we should be doing?

The cure:

Spoke with Mike again after all the above failed. Mike correctly figured out that the computer was reflashed at a dealer at some point and they had never placed the required label under the hood. (the original code was DJJ3 but the computer was actually FPF0) Mike said he would call Superchips and get a return authorization number for me to send my computer & chip to Superchips .He called back with the number the following day.

Due to other obligations I had to wait about 2 weeks before I got a chance to send the computer and chip to Superchips. I Fed-Exed my computer & chip out on a Friday so superchips would have it first thing Monday morning. Tuesday about 11am UPS truck arrives with computer & chip. The chip was already taped to computer so all I had to do was reinstall the computer. I reconnected the battery and put the key in the ignition and it fired right up. Disconnected the battery again so I could drain the computers memory. Reconnected the battery after draining the memory from the computer and took it out for a test drive.

What a difference!! As soon as I pulled out of my driveway I could feel a difference in power. The shifts are firmer and the truck is just more enjoyable to drive.

Thank you Mike for all the time and effort you put into this!! It’s great to know that there are people out there like you who are willing to put forth the time and effort to solve a problem. I appreciate all you did for me and I’ll never forget it!!

------------------
97' F150 XLT 4X4 SC SB
3.55ls
Captain chairs
Tow pkg.
K&N filter
Pendaliner bedliner
Mirage deflecta shield
Ventshade window visors
Lund steps
Superchip

ordered
Gibson SS

Old 04-25-2001, 07:59 AM
Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kaoliver:
My original post:

Here's what’s been done so far. This chip was originally programmed for my 97' Ranger and it worked fine the 2 years that it was in my Ranger. I then removed it from my Ranger and sent the chip to performance products to have it reflashed for my 97' F150. When I got it back from Performance Products I took the computer out of the F150, totally disassembled it and cleaned terminals thoroughly as instructed.

I then installed the chip and the truck would not start. After two more tries doing the same thing I called Performance Products for their help. I was told that apparently the terminals were still not clean and I was instructed to remove the computer and clean them again, which I did two more times. The truck did start but the check engine light came on and stayed on. The truck ran real rough with black smoke coming out the exhaust.

Then I called Superchips tech support that got me in touch with my local Superchips dealer. They reflashed the chip again and installed it in my truck with the same results of black smoke and check engine light. They hooked up the truck to a diagnostic machine and found the computer to be running in a safe mode. They removed the chip.

The local dealer ordered a brand new chip, flashed that one and installed it in my truck, again achieving the same results of black smoke and check engine light. The computer put itself into a safe mode. The local dealer called Superchips directly and as of this time we have no idea why it's not working.

So, I've lost $150.00, not to mention loss of use of my truck for two days, and still don't have a chip that works. Is there any guidance that you can give me? Is there something else we should be doing?

The cure:

Spoke with Mike again after all the above failed. Mike correctly figured out that the computer was reflashed at a dealer at some point and they had never placed the required label under the hood. (the original code was DJJ3 but the computer was actually FPF0) Mike said he would call Superchips and get a return authorization number for me to send my computer & chip to Superchips .He called back with the number the following day.

Due to other obligations I had to wait about 2 weeks before I got a chance to send the computer and chip to Superchips. I Fed-Exed my computer & chip out on a Friday so superchips would have it first thing Monday morning. Tuesday about 11am UPS truck arrives with computer & chip. The chip was already taped to computer so all I had to do was reinstall the computer. I reconnected the battery and put the key in the ignition and it fired right up. Disconnected the battery again so I could drain the computers memory. Reconnected the battery after draining the memory from the computer and took it out for a test drive.

What a difference!! As soon as I pulled out of my driveway I could feel a difference in power. The shifts are firmer and the truck is just more enjoyable to drive.

Thank you Mike for all the time and effort you put into this!! It’s great to know that there are people out there like you who are willing to put forth the time and effort to solve a problem. I appreciate all you did for me and I’ll never forget it!!

</font>

Hi Kaoliver,

My gosh, that is a very interesting story! I am glad that things worked out for you. That Mike is one fine fella indeed.

Take care

forrest

Old 04-25-2001, 10:02 AM
Mike T. is the MAN
same thing happen to me the dealer reflashed
& my screw-up soldering the jumpers
had it back for the 2nd day! it's back to running strong, THANKS MIKE

------------------
1999 Black XL Flairside
5.4 auto.,reg cab
5/7 DJM drop 4in A-arms+1in springs. rear flip kit+2in shackles
16x8 polished Pythons + 275 by 65
Clear lights all a round
polished alum grill
black Checkmate hard tonn cover
Sir Michael's rollpan (6mo waiting list)
Bucket seats & fold down center console(super duty)/ did not like went to 40/60 NICE!!!
TruckMaster front air dam with fogs
Wheelskin steering leather wrap
Backdraft rear spoiler
Street Smart mirrors
SuperChip,WMS tube, K&N filter
ASP power pullys, 16in elect fan
Gts II slotted taillite covers
Heartthrob catback exaust/ went to homemade to fit lighting ground effects
Removed XL & Trident badges & put SVT emblems (so I wouldn't have to race everybody who thought it is a V6)
Powered subwoffer (400 watts)
WISH LIST!!!!
Goodmark Mustang GT style (on order)
Some type of side ground effects/ used factory lighting effects
Headers,HOLLY THUNDER CHARGER
2IN Chop top, Shaved Door&Tailgate Handles
18IN wheels & tires

Old 04-25-2001, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi kaoliver,

What a nice update to your original post!

I know back then you were frustrated (as anyone in that situation probably would have been), things weren't making sense, as that Superchip has worked fine in your Ranger for years, but seemed to cause problems in your new truck. In reality it was just a simple issue of your computer having been reflashed to that FPF0 code from it's original DJJ3 code, and thus easy to take care of.

We're just glad to see you getting back to enjoying that Superchip like you should be able to.

Thanks for your post & update, & we hope you have fun with your Superchip!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-28-2001, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi 4-D LOW,

Whoops, sorry it took awhile to respond, I must have missed your post!

Thanks for your kind words, & of course we're delighted to hear everything worked out like it should 4-D; we hope you continue to enjoy it!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Thanks Mike, It was worth the wait.