Chip & towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2001, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Chip & towing

I have a 4.6 and am wondering if the chip will raise my towing capacity. I figure that if it increases HP & torque, it should raise my tow rating.
Any thoughts?

Greg

Old 04-16-2001, 07:37 PM
I would think increase HP & torque would improve your acceleration when towing, but would not raise your towing capacity. In addition to HP & torque, your suspension, brakes, tires, transmission, and differential gear ratio are factors in your towing capacity. You might be able to pull more with the increased power, but doing so safely and without damaging the truck is another thing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GregS.2001:
I have a 4.6 and am wondering if the chip will raise my towing capacity. I figure that if it increases HP & torque, it should raise my tow rating.
Any thoughts?

Greg
</font>

------------------
Stan/Red 1997 F-150 XLT Supercab

Old 04-16-2001, 09:56 PM
I agree with where you are coming from. My questions comes from:
If my truck with its towing package is the same as a crew with a 5.4, is the only reason the 5.4's tow capacity is higher is because it has a bigger motor?

Greg

Old 04-17-2001, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi GregS,

No, the Superchip will not actually increase your vehicle's rated towing capacity, as that is affected by much more than just power. Manual or automatic transmission will make a difference, as well as cooling systems, braking systems, etc., as another poster mentioned.

What the Superchip will do is give you more horsepower and torque with which to pull your load, so it's a nice aid for towing, but it does not actually increase your vehicle's *rated towing capacity*.

In your particular case, to directly answer your last question, *if* the only difference between your truck and another identically-equipped truck, both having the factory towing package and one having a 5.4 and the other a 4.6, with all else being equal, meaning transmission, tires, gear ratio, etc., then at that point, yes, power is the main difference in the tow rating. At that point, you already have the tranny oil cooler, increased cooling capacity, and everything else that comes with the factory towing package on both vehicles, so the only effective difference is engine displacement & power output.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-17-2001, 01:53 PM
Hi Greg

Just my opinion, but i think you answered your own question.

Have a good one. OT

Old 04-24-2001, 10:20 PM
Question

I have a 5.4L 260hp and 350lb ft torque Expedition. My question is this if I took
(we are talking hypothetical here) my new chip in the 5.4L which would increase the motor to 288hp and 396 lbs ft torque and put it into my 1992 250HD, which only has 240hp and 390lb ft torque (460 CID). Would I get the same performance out of the 5.4L as I get out of the 460CID. Or is this not apples to apples. I realize that it would enhance the Expedition but what I want to know is will it do the same amout of work and towing.

Old 04-25-2001, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Superexpo,

Interesting question.

For towing, I've always preferred cubic inches. In this hypothetical case, you're talking about comparing the chipped 5.4 motor making the maximum potential peak gains, to the stock 460 motor in your 1992, and figuring that the raw torque numbers should make them roughly equal. Perhaps, but we're talking only about peak numbers, without consideration for what happens the rest of the time throughout the torque curve, at any rpm and at all throttle positions. With all of that properly taken into consideration, I'd say that 460 motor still comes out on top. There are going to be places in the torque curve, at certain rpm ranges and particularly on part-throttle, where the cubic inches simply give you more raw torque in real world driving & towing than just what the peak numbers tell you, as peak numbers only tell a small part of the overall story.

However, if you chipped that 1992 460 motor, then you'd have even more torque, so that puts yet another wrinkle on the equation.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Chip & towing