Are chips worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are chips worth it?

I've got an 00 HD 5.4 liter and I'm wondering if the superchips are worth it? I was also wondering about the hypertech and jet power modules?

Old 03-29-2001, 07:13 PM
Go back and read all the posts in this section as far back as you can go. 99.9% of the people that have them love them. I ordered mine yesterday based on the praise of them I heard on this site.

------------------
2000 Harley/Davidson F-150
Lund Bug Deflector
Ventshades
Century "Cargo Cover"
K&N FIPK Gen II
Superchip is on it's way!!!
89 F-150 Lariat 4X4 for the "dirty work"!

Old 03-29-2001, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

The Superchip has been a great investment for me. Well worth the cost of the chip and burning Premium fuel!!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 03-30-2001, 11:12 AM
Harleyboy...
I have a 01 SScrew, 5.4L
and YES I would recomment the "superchip"
I ordered it Monday, and installed it last night!
With out a shadow of a doubt...I "feel" some performance boost.
I say feel, because how much HP gains is hard to tell without a Dyno.

In any case, I installed PowerAid / AirRaid / BORLA Cat_backs / and finally last night the Superchip...
I did so all individually, and at seperate occasions, so as to be able to tell or feel any improvements...
For ME...well I noticed improvements with each...Wheras the Superchip, really rounded out the package....

Go see Mike...he will set you up...

LATE...

Old 03-30-2001, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Harleyboy,

Most people here using a performance chip are using the Superchip rather than Hypertech or Jet, and with good reason.

The 2 most important differences between Superchips and Hypertech, Jet, etc. are the fact that Hypertech & Jet only make "generic" programs, that are compromised to run on all similar vehicles. For example, only 1 program for all 1998 4.6 automatic F-150's, etc. The Superchip is much more precise, as each one is programmed for each individual vehicle's exact software revision loaded into it's computer from the factory, so you get a much better optimization of the powertrain, because the program is made for *your* vehicle.

Also, Hypertech, Jet, etc. only tune the engine on WOT (wide-open throttle), the rest of the time they do nothing to increase power. They do this because it's much cheaper to make that kind of product, since there are no emissions standards that have to be met during full-throttle operation, so they don't have the expense of independantly testing & certifying for strict 50-state emissions compliance like we do because of our part-throttle changes to the powertrain program.

The Superchip works *all* the time, at any throttle position, and this makes quite a bit of difference, as people don't spend 2% of their driving time at wide-open throttle, so they want a chip that works all the time, not just when your foot is all the way to the floor. These are the 2 biggest reasons why the Superchip is much more popular and gets better results compared to Hypertech or Jet.

There is a lot of great information here on the message boards, and if you'd like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call. We'll be happy to go over all of this with you, so you can give it some thought.

Best of luck with your truck, & we hope you'll hang out here with us in your spare time!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 03-30-2001).]

Old 03-31-2001, 10:46 AM
Talking

Thanks for the indepth details of the power chips, I wasn't really sure what all the differences were! Now I'm definetly gonna get the Superchip! My only problem right now is that I'm in school and I have to wait until summer gets here to make some money, so it might be a while before I get ahold of you but I promise you I will be getting in touch! Thanks again!

Old 04-01-2001, 05:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Harlerboy,

No problem, we're not in any hurry.

We'll be happy to work with you whenever your situation permits, everyone has priorities!

Good luck in school,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-01-2001, 06:08 PM
I think the answer to the question depends on how you plan to use the vehicle and how you drive.

For example, I plan to get a superchip for my Mustang because I'm doing some performance work on it, I want to get the most out of all that work, I don't drive it everyday and I don't mind paying the higher price for gas to get the performance. It's a for fun only car.

While my truck I drive everyday, put a lot of miles on it, don't care about going fast (see Mustang or RC51) and just don't know that performance gain is worth the price in a daily driver. If I do it would be the flip chip but I just not convinced at this point that the cost is worth it just for the improved shifting on 87 gas.

------------------
2001 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat
ordered 2/22
To be built week of 4/2
ETA week of 4/23
2000 Suburban LT
2000 Honda RC51
1999 Mustang GT Convertible

Quick Reply: Are chips worth it?