MEDIUM ACCERATION BOG WITH 4.6 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MEDIUM ACCERATION BOG WITH 4.6 4X4

I HAVE A 2001 EXTENDED CAB 4X4, WITH 4.6L, AUTO, 3.55 GEARS AND 17 INCHES TIRES. IT HAS 3000 MILES ON IT AS I TOOK DELIVERY ON 12/30/00. IT IS COMPLETELY STOCK. MY PROBLEM IS THAT AT LOW RPM'S THE TRUCK JUST SEEMS TO LUG. IF I TRY TO RUN 55 IN OD IT SEEMS TO LUG,AND IS CONSTANTLY SHIFTING TO ACCOMADATE SMALL GRADES, KEEPING A CONSTANT SPEED. IT DOES NOT SEEM TO SHIFT AS MUCH, IF THE CRUISE IS ON,TAKING THE SAME ROUTE. ALSO MY BIGGEST COMPAINT IS THAT AT MEDIUM ACCERATION THERE IS A BOG FROM 20 MPH TO 35 MPH. A GOOD EXAPMLE IS WHEN I STOP AT A STOP SIGN AND PULL OUT ON A MAIN ROAD(MAKING A TURN) I NEED TO GET UP TO SPEED,IT SHIFTS INTO 2ND AS I GO AROUND THE CORNER,I THEN GRADUALLY ACCERATE AND I EXPREICE THE BOG UNTIL 2500 RPM WHEN SOMETHING SEEMS TO KICK IN. WHAT IS WRONG? DO I NEED TO CHANGE MY GEARS? THE TRUCK RUNS GREAT ON FULL ACCERATION,(GOOD AS EXPECTED FOR A 4.6)ROLLS DOWN THE EXPRESSWAY AT 75 TAKING LARGE HILLS WITHOUT SHIFTING. ANY SUGGETIONS? THANKS

Old 03-25-2001, 07:15 PM
DKUEB,
Welcome to the board.
To answer your question directly,IMO,Yes you should change your gears.I dont think there is a problem with your truck,its just that small engines need higher RPM to make power,which isnt always where you will be for in town driving.
I had the same problem with my truck, it was a total dog around town, and on the back roads with slight to moderate hills it was constantly searching for a gear to run in,which was not the gear I wanted it to run in.It was either in a gear to high or a gear to low.
When I added 4.10s to my truck along with a Superchip(for speedometer correction,and MUCH better transmission characteristics), a drop in K&N Filter and a Gibson cat-back the truck is now a dream to drive.NO more searching for gears, no more lack of low end torque and no dramatic change in fuel ecconony.
Hope this helps

------------------

*WE WANT TO RACE THE TRUCK....PEOPLE LOVE THE TRUCK*

99 F 150 4x4.ORP,S/B 4.6 4.10 gears, Gibson 3" cat back. K&N filter. Superchip

Other Toy: 1964 Falcon, 300 H.P. 306,(soon to be 347)TopLoader 4 spd. 9"Detriot Locker rear end with 3.91's

Old 03-26-2001, 03:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi DKUEB,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

As Pete mentioned, doing a gear change change will get you more torque multiplication, so that will help, but it will also impact other areas that will cause additional work to be necessary as Pete had to, so we would suggest starting off small first, as usually you can avoid a gear ratio change by selecting a few inexpensive mods.

Drag racers usually do gear changes first (as did I when I was drag racing and/or running a very quick car on the street as a daily driver), which makes sense for torque multiplication, however it won't increase the engine power output, which is one of the basic roots of your overall problem; what we do is to do all our power-enhancing modifications first for daily drivers, and then only when we cannot get the desired performance any other way, will we do the gear ratio change. That's just a difference in philisophy, and it doesn't mean any one way is right and the other is wrong, you just take whatever approach you prefer for your situation. We prefer to actually add power first, and then only if we cannot add enough power, do a gear ratio change, so that you have as few ramifications as possible.

The most cost-effective performance enhancer to help with your complaints is the Superchip, as it increases horsepower & torque available at any throttle position, as well as give a much more responsive automatic transmission calibration. It's not going to be like a supercharger of course, but it will give you about a 10%-12% increase in horsepower, and about 15% more torque as well as take care of numerous other issues within the stock factory program.

There are areas where the torque converter locks up prematurely, and that will cause you to need to downshift more often in some situations, and it will also remove the transitional spark retards that reduce engine power during and just after each upshift & downshift as well as firming up the shifts a bit for reduced slippage.

One thing to remember is that when you're driving at 55 mph in 4th gear (overdrive), you're at extremely low rpms, well under 2000, and so the engine is making very little power there, at low rpms & light throttle. In that situation, it isn't appropriate to expect it to stay locked up in 4th gear when you go up a grade with a 2-ton+ pickup truck whose 281 cu. in. (4.6 liters) engine under those circumstances isn't making more than 100 horsepower there at less than 2000 rpms & light throttle. The best approach is to increase torque there on part-throttle (as well as everywhere else, of course), as that will help it to not downshift as often.

What you are experiencing there is perfectly normal for the stock factory program, and a good bit of that will be helped by the Superchip.

What you'll want to remember is that the powertrains in these vehicles are not calibrated for response or performance. They are calibrated with one thing in mind, and that is, to maximize gas mileage. So as soon as the ECU (your powertrain computer) senses that it can upshift and not lose speed, it will do so. So anytime you are giving it light throttle, it's not going to just stay in 1st or 2nd gear, it's going to upshift just as soon as it determines it can do so without actually slowing down.

Those basic characteristics are going to remain in place with the factory program. The best way to improve most of that is to use the Superchip first, as it not only adds power but also gives the transmision a more responsive calibration, a Pete mentioned.

There are also a couple other basic bolt-ons that will help power as well, you could use an airbox elimination kit and a good cat-back exhaust system, as those are the next 2 most cost-effective performance enhancers after the Superchip.

Given your concerns, you'd probably be best off trying the Superchip first, to see just how much of all this it takes care of for you. If it's enough, then you can stop your mods there, or if not, you can decide if your performance is where you want it, or whether you need to do more power-adding modifications or even a gear ratio change, should it come to that.

You may decide to jsut go ahead and do the gear ratio change, and if so, you'll need to recalibrate the speedoemter, etc., which puts you into the area of needing a custom chip anyway (the dealer can't compensate for anything other than a 3.73 gear ratio, and that isn't enough change to help with your situation, you'd need to go to 4.10's, as Pete did), so you might want to think about trying the Superchip first, to see if perhaps you can avoid the expense of the gear change etc.,, it's of course up to you.

Most people here tend to go with the Superchip first to improve those particular "symptoms" you've described.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, please feel free to give us a call, and we'll be happy to discuss this with you, so you can give it some thought.

And in the meantime, we hope you'll hang out here with us when you have some free time, it's a great place to learn about these vehicles & meet new friends.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 03-26-2001, 03:20 PM
Jarrettruelz88....how much did it cost you to switch over your gearing and recalculate the speedo?

Did you have 3.55 in there from the factory?

Just curious because this is exactly the mod I am wanting to do but having a hard time trying to find a price tag.

Old 03-26-2001, 08:27 PM
I believe the total cost for was $1,200.00.
This included front and rear ring and pinions (made by Precision),master install kits,installation at a reputable shop,12 qts of Amsoil synthetic gear lube(12 qts because I changed the fluid after 500 miles per Precisions instructions),and a custom Superchip for speedo correction.
This may or may not sound like a lot of money for some.For me it was,I was literally shaking while I was paying for the parts(Something about tearing into a new truck).
But I would say now that it is done I would definately do it again, the truck has taken on a new personality and is fun to drive.I can also dust my buddies 97 F-250 4x4 with a 460.
My advise to you is if you can afford it then do it.Once it is done you wont regret it.
I dont think you will find any negative remarks on this message board from people who have done it.

------------------

*WE WANT TO RACE THE TRUCK....PEOPLE LOVE THE TRUCK*

99 F 150 4x4.ORP,S/B 4.6 4.10 gears, Gibson 3" cat back. K&N filter. Superchip

Other Toy: 1964 Falcon, 300 H.P. 306,(soon to be 347)TopLoader 4 spd. 9"Detriot Locker rear end with 3.91's

Old 03-27-2001, 06:37 PM
Wink

Thanks for the reply's guys. I might change my gears when I get serious about towing. Thanks for the input Jar. 4.10s were what I was thinking about myself,but first I am going to try the Superchip. Thanks Mike for your response. You confirmed what I was thinking. I am not new to driving a 4x4 with a high gear ratio. My Daily Driver of 17 years is a Chevy K10 305 auto, with 3.08 gears. It too had a sight bog between 1st and 2nd but that was taking care of with a shift kit. It is hard for me to get use to revving these engines up to get some power. My 305 had Max torque at 1750. Hopefully "The Chip" will take care of things. I have conviced myself that it would probable be worth paying the extra paying for the gas. I was use to buy 91 for the Chevy anyways. It drives me crazy that the truck never seems to act the same, one day to the next. I think my biggest regret is not ordering the 5.4 because this truck is SO FUN to drive that I think I would have enjoyed that extra "kick" of excitement.

Old 03-28-2001, 02:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi DKUEB,

Sure, whatever works for you!

And if you decide later on to go ahead and do the gear ratio change, your Superchip can always be updated with a custom program, thanks to it's flash design.

Good luck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: MEDIUM ACCERATION BOG WITH 4.6 4X4