Superchips in Lightning

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Superchips in Lightning

here's a little advice for lightning owners.
I work for Ford and in the last 2 weeks we've had 6 motors knocking and pistons with holes in them.The superchip is leaning out motors and all **** is coming loose!!!

------------------
99 Sport F-150

Old 03-09-2001, 11:27 PM
Well i personally dont own a superchip but..
First off all i am an objectional person.
You name yourself "master ford tech"!
Secondly your lack of detail in your post just sounds makes it sound like a quick flame post. Thirdly you dont even explain what you mean by knocking and pistons with holes in them.
fourthly... how do you know it was the superchips? i mean were they in the vehicals? and what evidence shows this is the exact cause for it.
And last but not least
what did you mean by leaning out motors and all ***** is coming loose?
I dont question your post and credability to flame you but i really want to know becuase i am still deciding weather or not i want to purchase a chip.

P.S its funny how this is your very first post! I just kinda find that odd!

------------------
97 F150 Longbed V8 4.6
K&N air filter
K&N FIPK tech MOD & removed elbow silencer
Tires: Yokohama 265/75/16 Geolander AT+
Hyper white xenon bulbs
Bedliner and raven shell
6 disc cd changer
Oil & filter used

Gasoline used

My Truck

Old 03-10-2001, 12:00 AM
This is my first post because I'm new to this page. When I say lean I mean low fuel, too much air, high combustion temp., burnt spark plugs (i.e., no firing of the cylinders) which results in hydro lock in cylinders causing major low end problems such as rod knocking. So far this mainly concerns "supercharged" lightnings, but some naturally aspirated engines have had problems with too much fuel.

Not a flame post but the truth. Several warranties are under review.

------------------
99 Sport F-150

Old 03-10-2001, 12:08 AM
Question

master
how about the reg 5.4lt triton v8
i have a 2000 xlt? Engine runs great!!!

Old 03-10-2001, 12:17 AM
Just keep an eye on performance. Watch out for rod knocking. Not too many concerns on the naturally aspirated engines, mainly the supercharged 5.4's.

------------------
99 Sport F-150

Old 03-10-2001, 02:39 AM
This is gonna be a great posT!
I cant wait until mike comes around and gives his 2 cents

------------------
97 F150 Longbed V8 4.6
K&N air filter
Hyper white xenon bulbs
Bedliner and raven shell
6 disc cd changer
Oil & filter used

Gasoline used

My Truck

Old 03-10-2001, 02:58 AM
Question

I'm sure any improperly tuned chip would cause problems...half the reason that there is some damage to these vehicles is the posts where I read the driver keeps the chip in "even with a little pinging, not bad"...BAH, any pinging is bad.

There are what, 10-15 chip manufacturers? To single out Superchips would be wrong. To point to the stupidity of the owner who chips his truck, has it ping and say "oh, it only pings at WOT" or "oh, it only pings a little" is a different story.

If the chip isn't pinging, it isn't detonating, and isn't running it too lean.

Daniel

PS--- I don't have a chip in my Lightning, just my take on the game.

Old 03-10-2001, 08:03 AM
Question

MasterFordTech,
I'm not here to flame you but, I also work for Ford here in the Engineering center in Dearborn. I work in a Powertrain Dev. section in Calibration. I have a 2001 L and plan on adding a chip! Have all the vehicles shown evidence of a chip being installed? If not, then how would you know? Also, to hydraulic an engine it would be more like a stuck open injector. Running lean, "Yes piston and plug problems." I give you that.

The people programing the chips, especialy the ones on the board have a good rep! Someone may be advertising a skill they do not have and people are getting a broken engine as a result. I agree, you run a chip! You take your chances! My advice is to get a custome chip done! Don't just install out of the box. Get one that has a custome flash and tell the chip person your mods and or your intentions to mod the engine when ordering the chip!!

Thor01

------------------
2001 L. (Silver)
Born on date: 1/17/01
Weight: 4,670 lb.
Eyes: Clear
Blood type: Ford Blue
Received: 1/25/01

Old 03-10-2001, 10:07 AM
More than likely, it's not a chip problem at all! I usd a Superchip R9 program, NEVER a ping. But some guys will add other mods without reprogramming the chip (i.e. pro M or 90mm MAF) That can cause problems. I run 1 step colder plug in mine as a safegaurd. (NGK TR-6's) If you are a "Master Tech" you should know this is not just a chip problem. Superchips design their programs to be slightly on the rich side. What a customer adds afterward can affect the a/f ratios. That's why my chip will be programmed for all my mods, before they are installed. once everything is installed then the truck will be driven, and everything will work in harmony! LLoyd

------------------

2000 Black L Airaid & Superchip R9. Drag Results: Best ET: 13.07 Best MPH 103.09 Best R/T .501 (twice) Best 60' 1.631 on F1's. Mods to come: JDM 90MM MAF, JDM 2# lower pulley, JDM Oval TB, JDM Line mod valve, JDM Flip chip steet/race, PSP Electric fan kit, M/T ET streets, Drive shaft loop. I thought I could be happy with a chip & filter, but NO! 1973 Cutlass Supreme 455/450HP 4 speed. Too many Mods to list! 95 Olds Aurora 91 S10 305TPI/700r4 project 2000 freightliner FL60 Rollback tow truck My garage overuneth.
MODERATOR OR ROAD KILL AT www.svtperformance.com

Old 03-10-2001, 10:37 AM
OK like everything else in this world, folks lets do the math.

This Ford guys states that 'we have had 6 Lightning motors'. Um in Broken Arrow, OK? Lets see I don't know where Broken Arrow is but I doubt the city is as big as Dallas, and at my local Ford dealer (Dallas) I doubt that they see 6 different Lightning’s in six months.

Now the fuzzy math ~10,000 Lightning’s in the country divided by 50 states, 200 Lightning’s per state. OK is not a typical size state so give OK about 70 Lightning’s. Everyone runs a superchip ya right, so give OK about 20 Lightning’s/w superchips.

OK give Broken Arrow all 20 Lightening/SC and 6 of 20 of about 1/3 33% suffer from this lean "Funny he states low on gas?" condition. Also a little funny is that this only happens 100% of the time in Broken Arrow, OK. (what happened to the other 9930 Lightning’s) and possible only at his dealership (This was never stated, I assume this fact).

Sorry but this sounds like a chevy guy that got beat by a chipped Lightning, and wants an end to his situation.

Bvll ***** indicator is illumined.

Old 03-10-2001, 11:08 AM
lgogether:

You might want to re-read his post. Nowhere does it say "six Lightning engines". Not to say what he says is right, but you're way off the mark.

Can't say I believe an ultra-lean condition would hydroloc an engine. Pretty hard to do with no fuel around.

Just MHO.

------------------
2000 Red Lightning - #835 of 4966 Born 3-8-00 / Delivered 3-22-00
22% Window Tint, Clear Corners, MPulse LoPro Tonneau, AIM 2" Drop Shackles, Bed Rug, PSP Filter Kit, Other Goodies, Group Buy Floor Mats
Best time: 13.45 sec. @ 101.99 mph

2000 Red Trans Am Ram Air WS6, 6 Speed - Delivered 2-15-00 - Awesome Looking Car

My Zing.com Album Click Here

Old 03-10-2001, 04:41 PM
Broken arrow is just outside of Tulsa...

Old 03-11-2001, 03:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi MasterFordTech,

Gee, that's funny, because with literally countless thousands of Lightning and other F-150 owners using the "standard" Superchip (which by the way is programmed precisely for the exact software revision in each individual ECU (computer) in each individual vehicle) all across this great country, we've never had one single complaint of an engine failure related to the Superchip having been claimed by any of our customers here at Performance Products, nor has anyone ever made such a post here. Not one of our customers has ever made such a complaint to us here at Performance Products in our 10+ years in this business. Yet now we're supposed to believe that all these engines have been damaged at the sole cause of the Superchip? I don't think so, and I hereby challenge you to prove your claims.

We did have one Lightning owner who blew a motor, but of course, he was using nitrous oxide. He called me and I spoke with this individual at length, and he told me that he heard a lot of detonation during a 1/4 mile run at his track, but didn't want to let off of the throttle as he just didn't want to be beat, and kept his foot in it while using the nitrous and hearing the death-rattle of rampant detonation, and catastrophic engine failure was the obvious result.

And, we've seen a number of Lightning owners (most know better of course, but there are always a few) who will use a performance chip (sometimes a Superchip, but sometimes not) along with an aftermarket MAF, without having the chip recalibrated for the leanout caused by the MAF (the Pro-M units so frequently in '99 & '00 Lightnings generally cause a 2-point leanout of the A/F ratio), and we've seen *that* cause problems, of course, as a couple others in this same thread have pointed out. If you have modifications to your Lighting, or any other vehicle, you have to let us know, and our customers generally do, to their credit, they go out of their way to let us know of any modifications, and we also ask them when they place their orders over the phone, to say nothing of what we go over here every single day for years now here on F-150 Online. If you make modifications that you don't let us know about, and run the "standard" Superchip for the Lightning for example with an aftermarket MAF, like the Pro-M 80mm unit that we've seen cause 2 full points of leanout in the A/F ratio, then that is the *owners* problem for not letting us know, and is in no way the fault of the Superchip. Had any of the vehicles you claim were damaged by the Superchip ever had an actual A/F test done in real time with just the Superchip by itself installed, they would have seen immediately that the A/F ratios are plenty safe. And that has been done by the way, right here on F-150 Online, where numerous Lightning owners have gone to the dyno after installing their Superchip, and have posted the results of the A/F numbers, all of which are plenty safe.

No Superchip properly used on a Lightning or an F-150 has ever caused any kind of dangerous leanout of the A/F ratio, or any kind of engine damage, and we challenge you to prove your claim. The supercharged Lightnings, and all other vehicles that Superchips makes applications for, are tuned very precisely for a very safe A/F ratio, they do *not* cause any kind of dangerous leaning out of the A/F ratio. We challenge you to show us a standard Lightning or F-150 Superchip, used correctly, that causes a too lean A/F ratio. This is a public challenge from us to you, to prove your allegations, and specifically to show us a "standard" (meaning, non-custom programming, the "off the shelf" unit) Lightning Superchip, installed on a Lightning with no nitrous oxide, no aftermark MAF unit etc., that's running "too lean" purely due to the Superchip, as you have claimed here.

If you, MasterFord Tech, can *prove* your allegations, contact me personally at our phone number below ASAP, and we will make sure it reaches the hands of the attorneys, engineers & mgmt. of Superchips Inc. *immediately* for thorough investigation.

Nobody, short of perhaps only FoMoCo themselves, has had as many Lightings on the chassis dyno as Superchips has, testing and verifying not only the A/F ratios you claim are the cause of this "damage", but all the many other additional tuning factors that must be taken into consideration, tested, checked, verified, etc. In all that time, not one of those engines has ever been reported as being harmed by their owners to us, not one.

1999 & 2000 Lightnings have been running the Superchip for quite some time, 2 years now in the case of the 1999 models, and over a year in the case of the 2000's with no such claims ever having been made to us whatsoever, not one. And we aren't going to see this suddenly start happening now all of a sudden either, is my bet.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 03-12-2001).]

Old 03-11-2001, 04:01 PM
hahahaha
Mike has gone arnold schwarzenegger hahah

------------------
97 F150 Longbed V8 4.6
K&N air filter
Hyper white xenon bulbs
Bedliner and raven shell
6 disc cd changer
Oil & filter used

Gasoline used

My Truck

Old 03-12-2001, 03:43 AM
Wink

Did anyone count how many times Mike said "I hereby challenge"?

Take it easy Mike, I think the majority feel this is pure spam, and I would suspect you will never get a reply.

lgogether,

You missed one point in your math. After all the variables you list, also add the fact that the chip is the ONLY mod they have. Hell, I think half the Ls sold have two mods before they make it home.

Quick Reply: Superchips in Lightning