Mike, quick yes or no question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mike, quick yes or no question

I just replaced my stock exhaust with the Gibson Dual Sport. Yes, my truck is chipped. Do I need to reset my onboard computer?

Old 01-06-2001, 03:58 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Preyhunter & Mikey,

Its' much more important to do that procedure when changing the computer's program, but we've always done it when installing just about any "go-fast" part too, so the computer will immediately begin it's "relearn cycle", as we refer to it, though that's a bit of a misnomer, it's not really learning anything in the strict sense of the word. It's just a technique to have the computer start "from scratch" so to speak, and go thru it's fuel curve adjustments again, etc. So for us, we always do it, but in terms of is it actually *required*, the answer is no. It's a technique to speed short-term results, basically, and so most aftermarket speed parts manufacturers, like Flowmaster, as Mikey mentioned in his post, recommend doing.

The way we do it is to disconnect the battery, turn the headlights on for 5 minutes, then shut thelights off & re-connect the battery. That drains all residual voltage, so the computer does a complete fresh program "re-load", for lack of a better term, and starts it's fuel trim adjustments again from scratch with the new mechanical configuration (meaning in this case, your new exhaust). Just disconnecting your battery is not always enough, as IC's & caps can and do retain voltage for hours sometimes, so that's why we turn the headlights on, they won't comne on of courese, but it puts a big drain on the system at once, so it's done to insure the drainage of *all* voltage anywhere in the system, so you get a fresh start with the new part(s).

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 01-07-2001, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, disconnect the battery for 20 minutes. I just installed Flowmaster and they recommend the same thing and I know Mike T will also. How do you like the Gibson?

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Flowmaster dual chamber one in and duels out, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Quick Reply: Mike, quick yes or no question