Happy New Year! :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mike, Do you guys make a chip for the Ranger? I have a 96 4.0 w/auto. Whats the hp gains? Will i need to run 92 octane?

Old 01-05-2001, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi lilranger,

Yes, we've always made chips for the Rangers, with every different engine from the 2.3 & 2.5 4-bangers to both 3.0 & 4.0 V-6's. Wanna hear a laugh? Starting in the mid-90's or so, Ford put a header instead of a regular exhaust manifold on all the 4-cylinder Rangers right from the factory, just like they did on the 5.0 Mustangs! The first time I saw that I laughed out loud, and it was a great idea to help power on those 4-bangers.

At any rate, the 4.0's gain a maximum of 16 hp & 24 lbs./ft. of torque. And yes, any performance chip requires the use of premium gasoline, you're right. It is the re-tuning of the engine specifically for premium gasoline that gets the majority of the power gain, so it's something that is standard with any performance chip, meaning the use of premium gasoline. Depending on your driving habits, you may see a small improvement in gas mileage as well, we have in all of our 4.0's through the years in Explorers and Rangers that we've owned. It's just a by-product of the increased spark advance used on part-throttle, so it will depend on how the vehicle is driven, and the energy content of your local fuel supply.

The Superchip will also firm up the shift characteristics on your automatic transmission a bit, and set the full-throttle upshift points for best acceleration, as well as remove the top speed limiter.

If you'd like to go over this in more detail, talk about other mods you've done or are thinking about doing, etc., please feel free to give us a call at our number below, we're here M-F 10-7, Eastern.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Happy New Year! :)