Jet vs. Hypertech vs. Superchip... best one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-1999, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear TSSCS,

Welcome to F150online! Glad you decided to join us here.

There is one primary reason that most people here using a performance chip are using the Superchip, and that is the fact that it's the only product of it's kind that works *all* the time, and not just at (WOT) wide-open throttle. The reason for this is what I call a little-known "loophole" in the emissions laws. Even for a brand new 2000 vehicle like yours, during WOT operation, there are no emissions standards to be met. So if you as a chipmaker only modify WOT parameters, then you reduce your R&D costs dramatically, you don't have to certify for emissions compliance, etc. It also yields a product that does not add any power until you are at full-throttle, and that cannot improve gas mileage, driveability, or any of the many other things that the Superchip can do.

Superchips is the original *inventor* of this whole concept of a "power chip", back in 1983, and they are the only chipmaker that is hired directly by any automaker ever, and they are used by many of the major automakers, including Ford of Europe, Porsche, Rover, Honda, Renault, etc.

It's easy to add power at WOT; it's much harder to actually increase power at *all* throttle positions, and to actually improve overall driveability. And driveability is Superchips' primary focus in all their products.

Another point is that many, though not all, other similar products require that you use their special thermostat too, an abnormally cold thermostat, and the Superchip does not. In fact, we recommend that you do not go below 180 degrees, if you change it at all. The Superchip is a stand-alone product that works all by itself, and is designed to be used with the factory thermostat in your vehicle.

Some of the other products on the market are simple data interceptors, that alter the incoming sensor data to trick the computer into thinking it's colder outside than it really is, and thus cause additional spark advance and fuel to be used. A lot of JET's products are of this kind, for example. This is a poor technique, as it doesn't actually reprogram the computer at all. It can add a few horsepower under the right circumstances, but nothing like a real chip that reprograms the computer will.

Another point is the fact that Superchips does not make any "generic" chips like other chipmakers do. We program each vehicle individually, according to the exact software revision they were shipped with from the factory. So when you buy a Superchip, what you get is a chip that is optimized for *your* vehicle, and not something that is a compromise for all similar vehivcles of that model year.

When you add it all up, what you get with the Superchip is a product made by the people that invented the business, and made specifically for *your* individual vehicle, that works all the time. The Superchip doesn't add enough power to turn a 5000 lb. truck into a tire-shredder, for most vehicles it is about a 10-12% increase in peak horsepower, so that's what you can reasonable expect it to do for you.

Now of course since we sell the Superchip, we recommend it. But when you sit down and carefully compare whose product does exactly what, and at what price, the Superchip is the choice most people make.

Superchips is an engineering-driven company; most other chipmakers are marketing-driven. There are a couple other chipmakers I do like, whose programming abilities I think a lot of, but they don't make products for Fords. I'm speaking specifically of Dinan, the BMW speciality tuner who has been making chips for BMW's and some of the more exotic Asian vehicles, such as Infiniti, Lexus, etc. They too, focus primarily on driveability, so anytime a customer comes to us with a vehicle that we don't make aproduct for, if Dinan makes one I will always refer them to Dinan, as I feel comfortable about what they do and how they do it.

I hope this information is helpful to you,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 10-21-1999, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

TSSCS: Most of us here like the Superchip because it works "all the time". My understanding of the other chips is that they only are working when you go WOT. Also the hypertech chip needs a lower thermostat, something that is really not recomended for our trucks. There are a couple of people here with jet chips (mostly for sale because they have switched to Superchips) Check out the computer chips thread on these and read, read, read. Mike Troyer will tell you all the stuff a chip helps with. Freewheeling??? If your steering wheel has an extrordinary amount of play, you might should take it in to the dealer. Driveablility?? Depends on the problem. It might just be you getting used to the truck. The superchip will help in getting that beast moving much fast, sooner and with a lot less effort than before. Better gas milage is not something the chip does but a lot of us do see an improvement anyways (if we keep our foot out of the gas) If your truck is auto then the superchip will firm up the shifts, I would guess that means downshifts too. My trucks a manual, so Mike will clairafy if I'm wrong. The superchip can also be flash up-dated if Ford flash up-dates your truck computer. So you never have to buy another one for the same vehical. And the superchip can be customized if you add something like a turbo. Mike Tryor gives all of us here a great discount. I e-mailed him first then called and ordered from him. Simple and it was delivered to the door. Enjoy the new truck and good luck with your chip decision!!

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Old 10-21-1999, 02:16 PM
S
U
P
E
R
C
H
I
P

How'd I do?

Old 10-22-1999, 12:34 AM
Post Jet vs. Hypertech vs. Superchip... best one?

Hell everyone... I am interested in purchasing a chip for my 2000 4X4 Lariat, and wanted some input from all the members. Does anyone have specific recomendations? It seems to me that most of the folks here are using Superchips. Do they have advantages to the Jet or Hypertechs? I assume that there are a limited number of EEC engine functions that can be modified via any chip, so that differences must lie with how well each chip "modifies" each function. Do they all focus on performance alone, or do any of them also help drivability (freewheeling, better downshifting, gas mileage, etc?)
Does anyone know if any/all of these chips are eeprom re-programmable if improvements are made? Cost wise, thay all seem to be in the $250 - $300 range. Can these be purchased direct, or is mail order the best way?
Thank you all in advance for the assistance, and sorry for the long post!!!!
Steve in South Florida
----------------
2000 4X4 Lariat Styleside
Two tone Black/Silver
All options except LS rear
future mods:
Smittybilt textured black side steps
Chip
ARE fiberglass tonneau
Flowmaster or Gibson catbacks
LineX bedliner
Limited Slip rear end

Old 10-29-1999, 10:26 AM
Hi Guys! I own an '98 Expy & was wanting to know how the Superchip installs? Is it a very "difficult" thing to do? Mike, what all changes are made in the computer? Thanks!

Old 10-29-1999, 10:43 AM
Thumbs up

I installed the chip in my truck and I can tell you it is quite simple, and the service you get from Mike T. is 110%

It will take about 30-60 minutes if your slow like me.

------------------
David
'99 F150 XLT SC, STYLESIDE
3.73, 4X4 ORP 5.4L, AUTO,
139wb, Medium Red Tor.,
Rhino, K&N, BugGuard,
RainGuards, Superchip
f150online sticker!!! GET ONE NOW!

Old 10-29-1999, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the replies! One thing I still want to know is, what is the chip actually modifying? Shift points, timing, etc.? Does the MPG increase or decrease? I am really considering this as my next purchase.

Mike, I checked out Superchips site and if I read it correctly, thi one for my Expy is only $265 or was I looking at the wrong one?

Old 10-30-1999, 12:58 AM
Former Sponsor
Dear Way2Big,

Welcome to F150online!

The Superchip is a pretty easy install, figure about 30-40 minutes if you've never done one before. Once you've done one, you can do the next one in half the time, like most deals.

The Superchip installs on the back of the Ford computer, so it attaches on the outside, in a "piggy-back" fashion. It's a neat design, the Superchip is a sealed module that has a female data slot on the back of it, just like an expansion slot on a mainboard of a PC, only much shorter. And this slot mates to the male edge connector that is molded into the rear of the circuit board in all Ford computers, so it's literally Tab A into Slot B, so to speak.

For the initial installation, the computer comes out of the vehicle so that you can prep the edge connector, as from the factory they usually have a coating of dialectric grease that needs to be removed with Q-tips, and then there is a conformal coating that needs to be removed from the contacts on the edge connector. Don't let all this scare you, it's very easy, and the installation instructions are straightforward.

Once instaled, the Superchip overrides the factory programming, and when youy remove the Superchip, the computer instantly reverts back to it's factory program, very neat and quick.

Just to give you an idea of what the installation procedure entails, you can take a look at this URL: www.superchips.com/fordinst.htm

The Superchip for any Ford vehicle installs onto the computer in the exact same fashion, so those instructions will give you a good idea of what you are dealing with. Also, please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to discuss this in detail, we're happy to help! Our number is just below in my signature line for your convenience.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-01-1999, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear Way2Big,

Yes, that is the correct retail price. We provide them for quite a bit less than that to F150online participants, and you can order it right here online, by looking for our Performance Products "banner ad" for Superchips that will come up at the top of the page here on the message boards. Or, you can always give us a call at our number below.

The Superchip optimizes timing and fueling curves, optimizes transmission shift points and characteristics, and removes the top speed limiter in most vehicles. It will also remove the annoying and power-robbing spark retard right after the upshift (automatic)on heavy throttle as well, and this helps the vehicle to accelerate noticeably quicker. Basically, your vehicle will feel as if it has a little bit larger engine, as with the Superchip installed there will be more power available at any throttle position. When you're taking it easy and driving conservatively, you may not even noticve it's there, except that you'll need a little bit less throttle to get the same velocity as before the Superchip installation. The Superchip is basically a 10% power gain.

With regards to gas mileage, you shouldn't see any worse mileage, unless during the first few weeks you are taking advantage of the additional power that will be available, until the novelty of a new "toy" wears off. Most people see a small improvement in gas mileage when cruising at a steady speed, and this is merely a by-product of the optimized spark advance curves used on part-throttle.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 11-01-1999, 03:45 PM
Way2Big,
You can take everything Mike says
"to the bank" on the chip..my .02
rr

------------------
'98 Xpey XLT
5.4/K&N FIPK/Gibson Cat-Back/SChip
/ISA's/Mich.265/70/17 M/S

Old 11-01-1999, 05:25 PM
reeder,

I was wondering what kind of gains did you have with the K&N FIPK setup? or did you install them all at the same time? Dealership here in town told me that they didn't recommend K&N or Airaid because they "allow" more fine dirt in the engine. Thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Old 11-01-1999, 05:52 PM
Way2Big,

Ask your dealership this. Why does K&N make the very same air filters for Ford(SVO)Motorsports??

That'll shut them up.

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 3.73, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR, Flowmaster Delta 40 series, K&N filtercharger, Superchip(Airbox removed for a second try, maybe in the winter it will be advantagous?)

Old 11-01-1999, 09:46 PM
Thumbs up

Way2Big, I just put a SuperChip in my 4.6L last week and with the K&N I did notice a power difference, particularly in the 1,900 - 2,700 rpm range. Before the Chip, it had a noticable lag in that range. Now, there is no lag at all and it pulls strong. I checked my mileage before the chip and it was 16.1 mpg in town. I just filled up today and it took 17.12 gallons for 300.6 miles or 17.6 MPG. I filled up at the same station and also at the same pump just to be consistant. I drove like I usually do- pretty hard most of the time. I added HP and increased my MPG - how can you go wrong??

------------------
Mike Boardman '99 F150XLT 4X4 RC,FS,4.6,5spd,3.55LS,ORP,
Towing pkg,K&N GenII FIPK,FLowMaster,SUPERCHIP!,SnugLid,Luverne Nerf bars,
bug shield, DK Toreador Red.
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Old 11-02-1999, 01:34 PM
Way2Big,
sorry just noticed your post...
Yep, the K&N made a noticable difference "to me"..K&N specs a properly oiled filter as better than a dry paper one. We "assume"...
The chip really helped "Da Bus"..especially like the firmer shift points..climbing Raton and Vail passes (my usual routes)was much improved..no longer drop out of cruise as before. haven't had a chance to check out MPG
yet, love the response...ie., got the lead foot for now!
rr

------------------
'98 Xpey XLT
5.4/K&N FIPK/Gibson Cat-Back/SChip
/ISA's/Mich.265/70/17 M/S

Old 11-03-1999, 12:20 AM
Former Sponsor
Dear Boardman,

Thanks for posting your data! A 1.5 mpg increase in pretty good, especially the way you describe that you've been driving it.

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Jet vs. Hypertech vs. Superchip... best one?