Soooooopurrrrchipped at last!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-1999, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Soooooopurrrrchipped at last!!!

Hey guys and gals,

First off, let me say that Mike Troyer is one who stands behind his products. Some of you may remember my transmission no-shift problem whenever I installed my Superchip. Mike got on the horn with Superchips and spoke to the right people to nail down the problem. Turns out my particular computer code (EGE1) is problematic when it comes to the Superchip's attempt to override the top speed limitation. It took us two tries to resolve the problem, but resolve it they did.

At any rate, I told Superchips to leave the top speed limiter in place, since I'm not crazy about sending a pickup truck flying down Texas freeways at 100+ mph (I may be crazy in other ways, but not THAT crazy!)

I got the chip back yesterday, slapped it in, got me some premium gas, and boy does that 4.6 Triton now fly! My main irks with the Ford programming; the obvious spark retard after each transmission shift and the soft auto tranny shifts as well have been overcome by the chip. Acceleration is excellent at almost any speed...a better rear end would help out, though (I have 3.08..bummer). Overall performance from the Triton is sparkling. I can't imagine a better performance mod value than this chip.

So, for those who remain skeptical about the chip and/or its distributor on this site, Mike Troyer, I assure you he isn't paying me to say this, and I'm not him masquerading as Crazy C. This chip WORKS!

Now if I can only convince the wife to chip the Expedition when we finally buy one!

------------------
Cam

'98 F-150 SC XLT, 4.6L, Bright Red, Red Spray-in Liner, Extang Soft Tonneau, Ford Bug Deflector, Airaid FIPK, Vortex "Cherry Bomb" Muffler, Chrome Exhaust Tip, Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks (and they *do* perform) Superchipped at last! (and WOW!)

Future Mods:
a)Limited slip
b)Running Boards

Old 09-16-1999, 05:00 PM
Hi Mike!

It's good to know Superchips now has the full scoop on the EGE1 code. If I ever do decide to get the top end limiter removed, it's good to know it can be done. Plus, if someone else has this code, I guess I was their guinea pig! I feel so noble.

About the Edelbrocks, yes I have noticed a significant improvement in ride and cornering/body lean. It takes bumps well, except really bad bumps do get things moving due to the sheer size of the truck. Even then, I can tell the shocks are working hard to bring any excess bounce and jarring under control. It's a huge improvement over the stock shocks, by any measure.
On cornering, the truck stays considerably more level and the steering feels more confident. It corners more like a car now than a 4,000+ pound truck!

Installation was kind of tricky, especially on the rear axle, which I thought would've been easier. The shocks are so tight, you either have to be a muscle man (thank God I work out) or jack the truck up far off the pavement to get the shocks to clear the springs in front and to meet up with the bottom bracket on the axle in the rear. Having the truck up on a rack would be a huge time saver, but I had to get by with a floor jack and jack stands.

Yet because the shocks *are* so tight, they do a tremendous job mitigating the truck's ride. The F-150 Supercabs ride incredibly well anyway, but the Edelbrocks place it near luxury status. The ride is more firm, of course, but not compromised in comfort, in my seat-o-the-pants opinion.

A performance sway bar would make cornering rock solid, but I understand that tends to make the ride more firm that many like, especially in a daily driver. But for the money, it's hard to beat what the IAS shock will do for your car or truck (and no, I don't work for them, either...maybe I should switch my major at college to advertising!)

Old 09-16-1999, 09:29 PM
Ditto on the shocks! They realy do a good job of controlling the 4,000+ beast!

Your right about the rear install - major pain. I finally ended up using some tie wire to keep the shocks compressed (after wrestling with them for 1/2 hour.) After placing the bottom eye on the shock mount I cut the wire and guided the shock in place.

------------------
'97 F150 Lariat, Flareside, white/sliver, SC, ORP, 5.4, Mods: 305/70/16 GY ATS, AR Baja wheels, dual exhaust, Smittybilt Nerf Bars, Edelbrock IAS Shocks, K&N Filter and Carbon Fiber Bug Gaurd. Rigged the fog lights too.

Old 09-17-1999, 12:50 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Crazy C,

Yep, it was the TS limiter mod that did it. And now they know what the problem was in your EGE1 code, so the top speed limiter can now be easily removed if you ever want it done at any point in the future, it will be a free upgrade, of course.

I noticed in your signature that you have those great Edelbrock IAS shocks installed, can you give us some comments on those? I would particularly like to hear your thoughts on how it takes corners now, and also how it takes bumps, particularly larger bumps now with the IAS units on, as those are supposed to be some of their strong points.

All the best,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 09-17-1999, 09:59 AM
kkirt,

Clever idea for the rear shocks you have (that sounds kinda like Yoda talkin')

My wife all too often reminds me I'm stronger than I think I am ( especially after snapping the top of her computer desk the other day...accidentally, of course), and this rear shock install was one of those times. I hung the shock from the top bracket and allowed the bottom piston to extend out, then I grunted and groaned and cussed and shoved it back in past the bottom bracket while my wife stood by with a screwdriver to insert into the eye at the right moment as the piston descended again. Worked okay, but I felt it in my bicep region for some time afterward.

I thought about using leaving the tie that came with the shocks in place, but I couldn't see how since it ran over the top of the top stud of the shock. Oh well, they're on, my biceps feel better, and the shocks are excellent. I highly recommend them. I contemplated going with Bilsteins, but opted for IAS, since Bilsteins I'm told are more for off-road performance.

[This message has been edited by Crazy C (edited 09-17-1999).]

Old 09-17-1999, 05:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the excelent feedback from both of you guys using the IAS shocks! Back when they first came out a few years ago, I was still Sysop on CompuServe, and in both of the automotive-related Forums I hung out in, the IAS shocks made a *huge* impression, and your comments mirrored those almost exactly, and that was nice to see. Back then, they were mostly being installed on Explorers, as they weren't available for a lot of different vehicles yet, so it's nice to see that they are behaving the same basic way on other vehicles too.

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com