Super Chip Converts......

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-1999, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Super Chip Converts......

I thought I would start this thread for those who have had experiences, good or bad, with other performance chips. It should also benifit those considering purchasing a chip.

After reading many posts I decided to try a SuperChip. I have to admit. I was sceptical of what I saw as "Team SuperChip."

After one call to Mike. I had ALL of my questions answered. I found him to be a no-nonsense straight shooter with a very extensive knowledge of not only the product he sells. But, just about every modification available.

I have had my Superchip for a few months now. I previously had a Hypertech chip and was relatively pleased with its performance. However, I drive WOT as fast as I can to the next stop sign/light!? Slightly on the aggressive side.

This being said, I can say that the chip has performed as promised. I get a noticable improvement off the start and through the RPM range. Not just at WOT. Shifting is tighter. Sometimes I think I would like it a little tighter. However, I think this may be more of a trasnmission issue..... Not too sure of the tranny at times!?

A couple of side notes:

I recently finished my stereo system and had the battery disconnected for a day. After hooking everything back up my truck has been running better than ever!? Performance is much improved. I believe, initially I may not have disconnected it long enough . Since I had already cleaned the terminals for my previous chip. It was basically Plug and Play. I only had it disconnected for a few minutes!? Yes, I am the one standing in front of the microwave thinking HURRY UP!!

Secondly, seeking as much as I can get out of my 4.6L. I thought I would try Texaco instead of the Mobile I had been using. My truck loves this gas!! I really didn't think it would make any difference. I was wrong!? Go figure. My truck has less than 20K and it is running awesome!!!!!!

I have been meaning to post my thoughts for a while now.

I hope this helps.....

Be well,

Todd

Sorry for the edits. However, I wrote this late and I hate typos.

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Hellwig Sway Bar, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Sony ES CDX780 Head Unit, W/CD, Sony ES 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP 210 EQ/DSP, MTX 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Infinity Kappa components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear. On Order: White face gauge? Still looking.......

[This message has been edited by LuvTheC (edited 08-27-1999).]

Old 08-27-1999, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, Todd, you're very kind. I'm glad you're enjoying your Superchip!

And of course I *love* this thread, but then, I would say that, wouldn't I? No shame here!

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 08-27-1999, 09:58 PM
Did like everybody else found this site read all the topics found computer chips and was hooked.Had the no start problem but the support from Mike and superchips was great and had it fixed locally by a vcr repair shop.EASY FIX.Tried the texaco gas it was ok but it seems my truck likes the Diamond Shamrock gas here in tucson.Its supposedly one of the larger refineries in the west.anyway very pleased with the chip very responsive throughout the throttle range will check mileage this week IF I CAN KEEP MY FOOT OUT OF IT!

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Rhino muffler/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 08-27-1999, 10:57 PM
I have the JET module in my 97 4.6L. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I noticed any improvement. It does nothing for the shifting. I may try and take it out for a while, then put it back just to see. Has anyone heard of the APE chip? it's a small company in Mass. that makes it.

Old 08-27-1999, 11:11 PM
What's that suposed to do make your truck run like Ape-s*!t? I love my Superchip. My five year old says it best, when we take off, she says: GO! GO! GADGET FORD!

------------------
98 F150 SC XLT 2WD 4.6, 3.55 LS Tow Pkg. CHIP K&N Airbox mod. Mobil One Oil
"Moonlight Blue"
Crome Rails (currently off to make room for)
New Fastback/spoiler
(above in shop, they lost the hardware. Gotta wait another week)
Lund Lighted visor
Lund Runninng Boards
"Andthensometoo" in silver letters 3" high on tailgate, Crome Taillight covers, Smoked Bug and Rain guards, Shelf-it, Carpet dash cover, Red Wings license plate in front, Red Wings license plate frame in back, Little Detroit Viper hanging from mirror, Oh yeah, and one "Blacked-out" grill
LOOK-OUT! Can't jump curbs anymore RB's make it look lowered!

Old 08-29-1999, 06:25 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wsection,

I purchased my Borla exhaust from them back in 1997. I met the guy on a trip to Boston ( stopped in his town) and chatted with him. He seemed OK down to earth etc..
They were working on Mustang chips when I met him and Trucks were a long ways off. Their produt might work so I cannot knock it. check them out at http://www.gothorsepower.com/

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
On Order: 99 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd
using: Wife'S 99 Explorer till arrival

Old 08-29-1999, 07:16 PM
Mike T.
any reason why my "service engine soon" is on in my 99.5 Lightning? Your chip, highest otang used was 112. If I remove it the light goes out.

------------------
99 Red Lightning,
Red Premier Tonneau Cover,
Red Shadow Cowl Cover, SuperChip,
T&A Dot Slicks,
Laptop Computer at Side.
"Keepin The Faith"
<*(((><
"Only Little Boys Wear Bow Ties"

Old 08-29-1999, 07:23 PM
Question

Mike,

Do you have any comment on why he says his truck runs better after removing the battery again? I couild see if he had added a new performance part, but he didn't mention that he did. Just curious and thought you could help.

Chris

------------------
Ford F-150 XL
Black/Grey 2-tone
Standard Cab/Long Bed w/Bedliner
Auto 3.55 gears
V6 (yeah, I know it's no V-8, but at least it's a FORD, right?)
Pioneer P-7000 Head Unit, (2) 12" Pioneer Subs, 800w Pioneer Amp, Pioneer 6x8's

Old 08-29-1999, 08:22 PM
Lightbulb

Actually, I disconnected the battery. For an extra long period. In doing that I completely reset everything. I was wondering, if by chance, I did not have it disconnected long enough and still had factory/Hypertech/Superchip programming!? Possibly a mix. All I know for sure is it's running a h*ll of allot better.............

Todd

------------------
97 White F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP, 4.6, SuperChip, Stillen Air Intake, Gibson Exhaust, Hellwig Sway Bar, Weld Wheels, 33" Bridgestone A/T Duelers, 3" Body Lift, Rancho 9000's, Billet Grill, SmittyBilt Nerf Bars (Stainless), SnugTop Shell (Expo), Sony ES CDX780 Head Unit, W/CD, Sony ES 10 Disk Changer, Sony ES XDP 210 EQ/DSP, MTX 4X75W AMP, Kenwood 300W AMP for Sub., 1 Fared Lightning Monitor Cap, Optima Yellow Top Battery, MTX ThunderForm W/2-8"-4ohm Fosgate Punch XLC, Infinity Kappa components in front, Infinity Kappa 5X7 rear. On Order: White face gauge? Still looking.......

Old 08-30-1999, 01:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear isa4325,

No, I don't know why you would have that, no other Lightning owner has had that problem with their Superchip. Perhaps you should give me a call, so we can discuss what's happening. My number is below, so please feel free to give me a call.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 09-07-1999, 01:31 AM
Former Sponsor
Dear FordMX,

Sorry, I missed your post, so it took awhile to get back to you. Disconnecting the battery forces the computer to go thru it's relearn procedure, and is done by many people any time they add a performance part. It can also be used sometimes as a trick to get another tenth or two at the drag strip if you have been driving conservatively recently. Resetting the computer and immediately doing some full-throttle pulls can sometimes be beneficial, but keep in mind that this is only for the short-term. Perhaps it's better described as a technique for getting the best immediate results, but it won't change what happens over time, as Ford's "adaptive strategy" will constantly be optimizing the powertrain for the manner in which the vehicle is being operated, within it's ability to do so. Sometimes this causes confusion, making some people think that over time, the performance chip's new instructions will be overwritten by Ford's adaptive strategy, and that is not true. In other words, if you use your vehicle for towing primarily, it tends to optimize powertrain operation as best it can for that use. One example is holding the automatic transmission in second gear until higher rpm's on part-throttle, and there are many others. They're subtle, not something that will really cause the driver to give notice to them.

I hope that helps your understanding,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 09-14-1999).]

Old 09-13-1999, 12:18 AM
Former Sponsor
Dear Mike150,

I just noticed your comments about Diamond Shamrock gasoline. I haven't seen Diamond Shamrock since I was in the Mid-West! I'm glad to hear you like it, I'll remember to suggest it to peoplein the Mid-West who may not have access to Texaco, Amoco, Citgo, etc., my normal favorites. Do you happen to track your gas mileage?

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 09-13-1999, 07:45 PM
Talking

Mike, Just checked my mileage last tank and got 18.5 in town with a lot of short and stop and go driving.oh btw had the ac on also,Tucson az.

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N Airbox Mod/Rhino muffler/Westin Black nerfs and now SuperChiped

Old 09-14-1999, 06:02 PM
Former Sponsor
You got 18.5 in town stop & go driving?!? That's pretty darn good! I don't think I would change anything there, that's a great result. Do you happen to have any idea what kind of mileage you were getting before the Superchip, by chance?

Thanks for the data,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Super Chip Converts......