For Mike, Chip Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-1999, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question For Mike, Chip Problem?

Mike, I've had my reprogrammed chip in for almost a month, although since reprogramming (to make up for poor quality gas in my area)it doesn't have near the zip the original had it's been problem free, till now.Yesterday I experienced an ignition problem as if the spark was interupted. At first I attributed this to bad gas as I had filled up at a small station in the sticks. I bought a bottle of dry gas and didn't experience the problem all the way home (about 200 miles). Thinking everything was fine I started another long trip today with another new tank of fuel. On the way home with yet a 3rd tank of gas I had the same problem. Only this time it happened when I was passing a long string of cars on 2 lane blaktop. I went another 5 miles without incidence then it happened again only this time the check engine light came on. I pulled over turned the truck off and removed the chip. I drove another 30 miles before stopping for the evening w/o incidence. My question is does this have anything to do w/ the chip or its programming? I am somewhat nervous about reinstalling the chip as the passing incident was a very close call. I apoligize for the long post but, felt a total explanation was in order.

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT,4.6, 4X4 ORP Pacific Green, Super Cab, w/Raven Cab High Glass Cap, Airaid, Custom Dual Cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster,Superchip, Rhino Lining, Halogen Driving Lights

Old 09-02-1999, 09:57 AM
does the light go out when you take out the chip???

I have had similar problems with my 97 f150
4.6L V8 , but chip in or out makes no difference.

In the shop 4 times in the last 2 weeks
So far EGR valve and plug wire #2 replaced
more to come ... back in the shop...

Old 09-02-1999, 01:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, my first guess is no, unless the Superchip somehow came loose, interrupting it's connection. Otherwise unless something suddenly failed within the module, it has to be something else. I would say to do a step-by-step process of elimination. First, remove the chip and drive it for a week or so at least, to see if it seems to eliminate your problem. And if so, then perhaps we need to take a look at that module to see if there is a problem with it. But since it was working fine for an extended period, I doubt it's the Superchip. I learned a long time ago that just about anything is possible, however.

I would do the process of elimination, basically. Drive it without the Superchip, both in town, and on longer trips, using a variety of gasolines or whatever you normally do, to see if there is any change in this behaviour. If it stops and doesn't come back, then that would tend to indicate that there could be a problem with the module. By the way, make sure you disconnect the battery each time you remove or reinstall the Superchip, to reset trouble codes, otherwise it could take weeks for the check engine light to go out from a previous problem that no longer exists. It also forces the computer to go thru relearn, which is always a good idea when you make a change, so you can start fresh, so to speak.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss this, as I don't get here everyday, and can't be counted on to communicate quickly here on the message boards.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 09-02-1999).]

Old 09-02-1999, 02:06 PM
Fordster- The check engine only came on for a few seconds (as I was just starting to enter x-way when it happened) so I pulled on to the shoulder and turned the truck off. Then I removed the chip and since then drove about 150 miles w/ no problems. How many miles are on your truck and have you changed plugs and wires yet?

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT,4.6, 4X4 ORP Pacific Green, Super Cab, w/Raven Cab High Glass Cap, Airaid, Custom Dual Cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster,Superchip, Rhino Lining, Halogen Driving Lights

Old 09-02-1999, 02:09 PM
Mike - Thanks for your suggestions I will try them (I didn't know about the battery I'm glad you said something). I did not disconnect it upon reinstalling chip would that make any long term difference? In any event I will call you if I have any other questions. Thanks again.

------------------

Old 09-02-1999, 04:11 PM
My truck has 69k . I have a brand new set of 8.5 mm Magnecor sitting at my desk as we speek, just got them in today. Just talked to the dealer , they said the DPFE was bad (digital pressure feedback exhaust). hope they're right this time (5th time is a charm).
Then again they didn't test drive it (not the first time they say it's fixed without test driving first)

PS. truck runs ok since EGR valve was replaced , but amber light blinks from time to time (with or without superchip).

Old 09-02-1999, 06:34 PM
Fordster- are you changing plugs as well as wires or have you already done that? Anyway I would like to know how it runs when you're done, that's next on my list. Also how much work was involved in doing it, my mech wants $75 for wire and another $75 for plugs (I provide the parts). He said if I had an Expedition he'd send me packing back to the dealer because its too much work. Good luck w/ the engine light repairs.

------------------

Old 09-03-1999, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Fred,

Those are probably reasonable labor charges, these engines are not easy to change plugs and wires on, it cost me more than that!

On the battery disconnect, I always recommend doing it.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Quick Reply: For Mike, Chip Problem?