Broke the sound barrier today, almost :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-1999, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Broke the sound barrier today, almost :)

Going down a lonesome road today and I thought, "Let's go for it" and see if the speed-limiter is still hooked up. Floored it with my Superchip working over-time... 93, 94, 95... <pause> (I was thinking S___!!!, but the *pause* only lasted about 1/100th of a second)... then I felt a BANG and I started accelerating even FASTER!!! Don't know what that *bang* was but it sure did feel sweet!

------------------

~Tuxedo Mask~

-----

[ 1998 Nascar Official Truck ] ~ Superchip Module ~ JET Power Pulleys ~ Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler(retaining *stock* Roush dual tailpipe tip) ~ K&N Filter ~ 3.73 Performance Rear Axle ~ Synthetic Engine, Transmission and Differential Lubrication ~ Nascar soft Tonneau Cover ~ Little White Chihuahua

Old 08-02-1999, 11:02 PM
Fur sure it wasn't the sound barrier. Probably a backfire through an intake valve that was not fully closed. Floating or something. Be carefull with that.

------------------
98 SC/XL/4.2/5 speed/3.08/MoonLight Blue Metalic/Mobil One Synthetic/235.70S.16 Michelin XC LT4/AR-136 Wheels/Chrome Nerf Bars/Bug Shield/Aluminum Tool Box/K&N/Superchip/NOS maybe. Soon.

Old 08-03-1999, 01:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

HI!... Hey 1998NASCARF150 the "BANG" was probably you. Did you remember to check your underwear when you got home. I here a SUPERCHIPPED F-150 can scare the s$#t out of some people. I would'nt know, I still hav'nt had time to send my computer in to SUPERCHIPS yet to have my "NO START " problem fixed. But when I do I will have a diaper ready if needed. 8-)8-)

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 3.55L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, **** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, AUTOMETER guage pod and tranny temp guage, custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, SUPERCHIP (truck won't start,"DAM"!!, soon to be installed 4.10 gears.

Old 08-03-1999, 07:53 AM
It wasn't a "backfire", more like a slight *kickdown* feeling. Probably just the result of the 95mph limiter *trying* to work, and the Superchip telling it to shut up.

------------------

-=[ Tuxedo Mask ]=-

-----

[ 1998 Nascar Official Truck ]

Superchip Module ~ JET Power Pulleys ~ Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler(retaining *stock* Roush dual tailpipe tip) ~ K&N Filter ~ 3.73 Performance Rear Axle ~ Synthetic Engine, Transmission and Differential Lubrication ~ Nascar soft Tonneau Cover ~ Little White Chihuahua

Old 08-13-1999, 06:41 PM
Hey,

I have tried to hit my rev limiter but there doesn't seem to be one. The needle was pointing to to " 1 " on the transmission selector when I had to slow down for some
idiots going the speed limit.

Do all F150's come with limiters ???

Maybe mine's broken.... YEEHA !

SUPERCHIP is next, as long as the wife doesn't find out. HeHe

Old 08-13-1999, 10:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear KTMRider,

Yes, I don't know of any late-model F-150's without top speed limiters, and they are set to match the speed rating of the tires your truck came with from the factory. The limiter is at 98 mph for most of them, though there are some that have been as high as 104-108 mph, but that's rare. Since the speedo's numbers end at 100, I'd say you do have the top speed limiter, it's just a bit higher than some. (I'm assuming you haven't made a gearing change or something that would throw the speedometer off)

And when you buy your Superchip, at least take your wife out to dinner!

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 08-15-1999, 04:40 PM
Talking

Well Mike I've had mine setting on the peg and it was still pulling away. Do you have any factory specs?

------------------
'99 F150 XLT SC SB 5.4x2
3.55 limited slip trailer towing
Harvest Gold
Covermaster 1000 topper w/ wing
BugflectorII

http://members.xoom.com/firezap/truckpage.htm

Trending Topics

Old 08-16-1999, 11:04 AM
I tried again to hit the speed limiter and cannot find it. Very strange, all be it, a
good thing though. I was going about 75 MPH when the highway just begged me to floor it ! This was west of Phoenix on I-10 toward LA.
As the needle passed the 100 mark, I tried to estimate the speed. Unfortunately I'm sure the area beyond the numbers is not calibrated. Again I got the needle down to the "1" on the transmission selector but couldn't get anymore... I think I was max'd due to wind resistence. Maybe with the tailgate down...tommorrow is another day.

But in answer to your questions, no mods to the truck except filter and exhaust.Wheels and tires are stock. It is a XLT with 3.55 limited slip trailer towing pkg.

Things that make you go hmmm...

Oh yea Mike, if I take my wife to dinner she'll wonder why and I will have to tell
her about the chip. She would want the money to go to something stupid like furniture or groceries... now what fun would that be !

See ya

------------------
98, F150, 5.4, shortbed, styleside, extended cab

Old 08-16-1999, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The bottom line is these vehicles do have top speed limiters. Your speedo's can be pretty far off after the 100 mph mark, and the rest of it's travel area is not linear, so you can't really estimate speed after 100. You're limited to somewhere between 98 and 108, with the vast majority being limiter to 98, which can indicate over 100.

I'm not trying to shoot you down, guys, just give you the facts. You have a top speed limiter from the factory, and it is set to whatever the speed rating of your original equipment tires were/are. It is possible for a mistake to be made and have a top speed limiter set slightly higher, calibrated for one of the other available tire/wheel combos for that model. The range on these late-model F-150's top speed limiter is 98 to 108 mph, but that's it, it sounds like you're running out of horsepower before you hit the top speed limiter to me.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say you're not experiencing and seeing what you're reporting to us here, not at all. Just that when you look at the software that controls these vehicles, every one of them has a top speed limiter, and they are set for anywhere between 98 and 108 mph.

It is possible to make the vehicle run faster with different size tires on some Fords, as it will change the effective rear gear ratio. I recently had a fellow with a Mustang who changed his rear gear and it reduced his top speed limiter to about 85 mph, so in some Ford vehicles, tire diameter can have an effect on this.

Enjoy,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 08-16-1999).]

Old 08-16-1999, 02:20 PM
Talking

Mike,
Speaking on this subject, I have your
SuperChip on and I think my speed limiter
is still active. Before chip, I could go to
where it is about a 1/4 of an inch past
the 100mph mark. I still reach it even after
being chipped. What is wrong... I know I
have plenty of room left in her... Any
suggestions, thoughts, etc...

Old 08-16-1999, 05:38 PM
Mike,

You are correct about the limiter versus tires. I had a 95' Z28, that I ordered the preformance package on, which was basically the Z rated tires and no limiter. The big three would never risk a law suit allowing a stock vehicle to exceed the speed rating of the factory tires because of possible catastrophic failure.

------------------
98, F150, 5.4, shortbed, styleside, extended cab

Quick Reply: Broke the sound barrier today, almost :)