SuperChips Codes and Engine Types

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-1999, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SuperChips Codes and Engine Types

Mike Troyer et all,

Can the year and model of an engine be distinguished strictly by the software code?

Specifically, my son just took delivery on July 23 of his new F150 XLT 4x4 4.6. It was a factory order with a build date of about July 18. His software code is ZJP3. There has been speculation that it's possible that the very "late" 4.6 1999s could have the new 240 hp 2000 engine. I doubt it but anything is possible. Is there a way to distinguish this possibibilty 100%, either by the software code or other markings/bar codes/stickers on the engine?

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK. Man, I got it all!

Old 08-04-1999, 07:16 PM
My code is ZJP2, and it was built prior to Feb. 1, 1999.

------------------
keith@myf150.com
http://www.myf150.com

1999 F-150 XLT Styleside, Black On Black, SuperCab, Short Bed, 4x4, ORP, 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS

Add-Ons: Extang Sabre Soft Tonneau (For Sale!), DrawTite Class III Hitch, Smittybilt Outland Grill Guard/Brush Guards, KC Daylighters, Custom Dual Exhaust-Straight Out The Back, Airaid FIPK, SuperChips Chip, Bug Deflector, Pace-Edwards Roll-Top Bed Cover on the way!

Old 08-05-1999, 01:59 PM
Thumbs down

Sorry!! But my code is ZJP3 and it is prior to Feb 99 with 220 hp. Also I don't know if all are like mine but I had to send the computer in to superchips to have the jumpers installed, but it was worth it. Good luck !!!
hkr2b

Old 08-06-1999, 12:52 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Dunbarton,

Not exactly. We've seen 99's with 98 software codes, 96's with 95 non-OBD-II compliant computers in them, and everything in between. You won't ever see 2 different vehicles with the same software, though you could see 50,000 trucks with the same code that have the same basic configuration. And, the same exact vehicle can have dozens of different software codes throughout the course of one model year.

For all those reasons and many more, this is exaclty why we program each vehicle according to it's own individual software code.

The ZJP series of codes will only be seen on 1999 Fords, is a pretty safe bet. I doubt rather seriously that he has anything different from any other 99 F-150 similarly optioned. Then again, Ford has been known to "play tricks" on us now and again! However, the window sticker will accurately reveal what engine is installed in that vehicle.

Congrats to your son on his new F-150! Is he already bugging you for a Superchip?!? (heh-heh)

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 08-05-1999).]

Old 08-06-1999, 11:49 AM
Exclamation

Dunbarton: also remember when I ordered my Superchip. Mike said my code was the first one he's had like mine!! Now I know there are bound to be other trucks like or similar to mine but for Mike not to have run across this code??? I guess I could have a unique computer But a unique truck?? (OK, I think it's unique)

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing
Better Built Stainless nerf bars

Old 08-06-1999, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Dear hkr2b,

It's still a 1999 model vehicle, and that was my point, that the ZJP series of codes will only be seen in 1999 model year Fords, not that they will only be seen in vehicles manufactured during *calender* 1999. So that would include any 99 model year F150's, whether they were built in August of 98 right after changeover, or whether they were manufactured in June of 99, they'll all still 1999 *model year* vehicles, that's what I meant.

No big deal, just letting you know that I meant "model year", not calender year.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 08-06-1999, 02:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Hey Tina!

Thanks for the email you sent me! And I loved that picture you posted of the big racing truck, have you ever seen them run on TV? Over in Europe is where most of the big truck racing like that goes on, and they have water-cooled brakes, it's wild to watch them braking going into the turns, or what happens when their water tanks run dry, no brakes!! I never get to see them much more than once or twice a year, unfortunately. Way cool picture!

Thanks for everything,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-1999, 05:46 PM
Thumbs up

Mike, yes I've seen them on TV. I'm always checking out Disc or TLC or TNN to see if they are showing any of this type racing. Love it too Once I caught a program that showed big truck racing crashes!! Funny as all get out. Everything looked like slow-motion!! My husband occasionally drives the big rig, Caterpillar 18 wheeler they use to haul heavy equip, home. It's a BIG truck and I can't imagine racing in one!!

Old 08-09-1999, 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Tina,

I think I might have seen that same program! it was last year, I think, because our other house had a nice C-band & Ku band dish setup, and I could get all the foreign feeds. Now we only have Primestar (ech!), so we don't get all those wild feeds, etc.

The G-forces generated in those big trucks is amazing, I'll bet those drivers don't look forward to one of those big crunches! There is so much inertia!

Maybe now that ESPN is expanding, and Direct TV is supposedly upgrading us sometimes this year (or next?), I'll get a chance to see more of that big truck action. They're fast, and lethal, and a lot of fun to watch!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: SuperChips Codes and Engine Types