Mass. emissions test..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass. emissions test..

Based on past posts, seems like it will not be an issue, but I noticed they have gone to just scanning the obdII port. Has anyone specifically tested Super-chips or hand programmer here in Mass. and passed in '01 or newer Ford Expedition ? or Lightning ? Wonder if they have to see some minimum run time on the code in days or hours before they would accept the results from the ODBII scan. ie. If I swap the chip and ran down to the test house, would they flunk it ?

Old 12-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Superchips Micro Tuner is 50-state emissions approved, so you aren't going to have any problems, no matter what kind of emissions test is used, no matter what state you are in - it's approved by both CARB & the EPA.

And it's not just MA by any means, *many* states have already enacted those stupid scan "tests" for emissions compliance in OBD-II (1996 & newer) vehicles. In fact, if you use the search feature here, you can retrieve *many* posts from people who have passed all kinds of emissions tests with their Superchips tuning installed.

These new scan "tests" for emissions for 1996 & newer OBD-II vehicles are an absolute joke, and something that (IMHO) we taxpayers should be fighting mad about - in fact, they aren't "testing" any emissions like that, all they are doing is scanning for OBD-II DTC's to see if there are any emissions-related error codes present in the PCM - nothing more.

The reality is that sometimes your vehicle can be polluting *terribly* and still not have the PCM set any emissions codes, these OBD-II systems aren't infallible by any stretch of the imagination. We've seen people go thru those so-called inspections without any catalytic converters even being present on an F-150, and *still* not have any problem passing the "test" - not a check engine light on the dash as should be present with no cats, and no error codes present in the system as should be without cats. The vehicles *were* polluting, but because they just scanned the PCM for codes instead of also sniffing the tailpipe as they should, the vehicles passed with flying colors. Now usually the OBD-II system will detect a gross violation like no cats (that's a big infraction, about the most obvious gross violation you can have in a 1975 or newer vehicle) , but we've seen them miss it completely, and not throw *any* code without any catalytic converters - now this is not "the norm," but we've seen it happen a number of times.

The bottom line is, you won't have to worry about passing any emissions inspections with the Superchips products, as they are 50-state emissions approved by CARB & the EPA.

Old 12-13-2003, 12:03 AM
Its like Mike says. No problem. You dont have to remove tuning.
Emissions were actually better w/schip on my 99.

Hey Mike T.

If you should see this, I agree 100% on what your saying. They test here thru OBD on 96 and newer. No sniffer. GEEZ! No longer get printout. That helped me to evaluate how my engine was and obviously the actual emissions. Yeah, weird.

FWIW...Starting this yr. in Nevada. Diesel engines in trucks etc. under 10K have to be smogged/emission tested. Whats interesting, they use a 'tail pipe sniffer' while running on somekind of dyno machine. Also has to meet "opacity" requirements. Even diesels that are exempt from test, have to meet "opacity requirements"

Havent seen/done yet, as mines exempt for first 2 yrs.

OT

Old 12-15-2003, 07:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi OT,

Good to see you again!

Yeah, that OBD-II "test" is a joke - interesting what you said about diesels under 10k lbs in NV......they'll have to test for particulates as well in those diesels, so they use equipment to capture what comes out of the exhaust....

Every emissions test I can remember has always shown the same result you got, where the emissions are cleaner with the Superchips tuning.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-18-2003, 09:39 AM
I live in MA and although I didn't have the tuner I did have one of Mikes blue superchips. It made no difference in the emissions test when the diagnostic port was used for emmissions. I have not flunked a test due to it.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi kpaton,

It's been awhile since we've seen you drop by!

Hope all is well & Merry Christmas!

Quick Reply: Mass. emissions test..