Superchip or tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superchip or tuner

I need a Superchip or a tuner for a 1999 Ford F250 Light Duty #7700 tow package truck.
It is equiped with:
5.4L engine
4R100 trans (code "E")
3.73 rear axle gears (code "B6")
32.5" tall rear tires
Computer code wij3

Modifications:
3" cat back exhaust
AEM air filter/intake
Polished throttle body/upper intake manifold elbow

I want to have:
Shift points reset to compensate for my tire size (stock was 30")
No speed limit
No Overdrive until 55 MPH
Torque converter lock-up 400 RPM higher than stock
No torque cutout during shifts
Firmer shifts
MORE POWER

Should I get a tuner or a chip?
Does the tuner give just as much of a HP/Torque gain as the chip?

Old 02-14-2003, 06:46 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi xbwfo,

You'll need to call us to go over all of those details, that's too much detail to get into here on teh boards of course.

We can take care of these issues, but it may not happen in the Micro Tuner, we'll really need to discuss this in detail over the phone to determine. On the surface, a little bit of what you have expressed a desire for would require very detailed custom programming to do exactly what you want. Also, much of this is deopendent upon load, speed & throttle positon, it's not like you can just go in and tell the transmission not to go into 4th until 55 mph, it doesn't work like that at all. That is controlled by very sophisticated algorithms that are vehicle speed and throttle positon versus load dependent. When you're not asking for more power via the right foot, the PCM knows that you're not demanding more power and so will instruct the tranny to upshift on light throttle as soon as it can do so without slowing the vehicle down. We can generally take care of these issues, this shouldn't be a problem.

To answer your question with regard to which will give you more power, the traditional Superchip module or the Superchips Micro Tuner, in our *standard* performance programs there is no difference. And unless you're going to run say, 94 or higher octane, there isn't any potential for more power gain than what the Micro Tuner will deliver anyway. When we get into *custom* tuning, then there is a possibility of making even more power, but only if you have access to even better fuel than what we're already tuning for (which is 91-93 octane pump premium), so just remember that it's your fuel quality that limits how much power can be added **via tuning.**

I think you'd probably be just fine with the Micro Tuner in all reality, as it addresses so many of these points, but we should discuss this in more detail to make sure you get exactly what you want, and so that you are aware of just exactly what can and cannot be done with each product, etc. before making your decision. Our contact info is below, give us a call & we'll be happy to go over that with you.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 02-16-2003 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mike,
Thanks for the quick reply . I'll call when I get a chance, just very busy lately.
If the only issue is the O.D., hell I can use the button.
Since the power increase is the same I'm leaning towards just getting the tuner then.
Are there other things that I listed that cannot be done with the tuner, requiring a custom burn?

*Shift points reset to compensate for my tire size (stock was 30")
*No speed limit
*Torque converter lock-up 400 RPM higher than stock
*No torque cutout during shifts
*Firmer shifts

Last edited by xbwfo; 02-14-2003 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Superchip or tuner