Which one Mike????

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one Mike????

I am going to be purchasing the Micro Tuner or standard Super Chip from you very soon, I just can't decide which one to get. I am going to get some larger tires, so the ability to adjust the speedo for them is nice. I don't ever plan on doing any gear swaps or other things down the road. I just don't know if it is worth $100 more just to be able to adjust for the tire size. If I get the Super Chip I can then spend the extra money to get a FIPK style intake system.

So my question to you is it worth the extra $100 in your opinion and others just to make the speedo adjustment?? Are there other things the Tuner will give me that I don't know of??? Does one have more power gains over the other???

For those that have either, what are good things and any bad things about either.

Thanks to all!!!!

Old 01-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Well I didn't hear back from you and I got in patient so I just went a head and ordered the Micro Tuner about an hour or two ago. I didn't have my computer code when I ordered it, but I didn't think you needed that for the Micro Tuner, if you do I can get that. I ordered it with the Blue UPS shipping, what is the standard turn around time on that??? I really want to get it. Also I want to make sure that I will be able to set the speedo for the new tires I am getting. It said it is limited on the factory computers limits. I can't wait for my new toy!!!!!!

Old 01-06-2003, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, double post!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 01-06-2003 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi josho66,

You sound like me, when I get ready to do something, I want to do it right away!

Just so you'll know for future reference, anytime you want to communicate with us quickly, or about something that may be time-sensitive, the way to do that is to give us a call, we do have 24 hr. voicemail.

You'll be fine with your decision of the Micro Tuner, any 1999 or newer F-150 platform vehicle that requires speedo correction and is not doing engine modifications that require custom engine tuning to compensate for are generally better off with the Micro Tuner's great combination of features & price.

You can use the tuning in the Micro Tuner along with modifications like an intake kit, a cat-back exhaust system, electric fans & underdrive pullies in these late-model F-150's. Now if you have to do more involved mods, like an aftermarket MAF, different size fuel injectors, sometimes headers, and obvious things like nitrous, ported heads, a blower, etc. will require custom engine tuning.

Actually, because you need speedometer correction the Micro Tuner was the way to go financially as well, because you would have had to have paid an additional custom programming fee in the single program Superchip to have us correct the speedometer anyway, so at that point you're spending less and getting a lot more by ordering the Micro Tuner. Not only do you get the speedo correction capabilities for gear ratio & tire size, but you also now have the built-in OBD-II code scanner, about a $150 bonus. You also have the ability to set your own WOT upshift point for each gear change individually (1-2, 2-3 & 3-4), and you can also alter shift firmness level for each upshift individually, too. We *strongly* suggest that you simply accept all the defaults to being with (other than correcting your speedometer), so that you start off with what Superchips has already done to optimize your vehicle's computer code. Then after driving it for a month or so, if you feel that the full-throttle upshift points actually do need further adjustment, then and *only* then go in and play around with the shift points. If you don't use the Superchips defaults for those shift points first, you won't have any basis for making any changes to shift points to begin with, so take the defaults for the transmission stuff when you first install it.

To answer your question about the limitations on the ability to correct the speedometer, that is limited to the 1999 & newer V8 F-150's (including Lightning & Harley models) & Expeditions; the V-10 SuperDuty trucks will not have the ability to correct the speedometer, nor do the 1997 & 1998 F-150's. In the 1997 & 1998 F-150 vehicles, that is accomplished by changing the traditional speedo gear on the vehicle itself. I think you have a 2000 F-150, so you'll be fine with that.

To make the correction for a different tire size from stock, you will need to enter the actual tire height in the Micro Tuner (once you get into that section of the options menu), so you will need to manually measure your actual tire height *BEFORE* you connect the Micro Tuner. Then once you have actually connected the Micro Tuner and get to that portion of the programming. into that option menu, you will enter that tire height figure in inches, and it has a resolution of +/- 1/4".

All of this info is in the manual you will get with your Micro Tuner, please take your time and thoroughly read the installation manual BEFORE attempting to install the Micro Tuner.

As far as the timing of your order, I think by now you have already called us to get that info while I was writing this response to you (which is the correct way to get that info, thanks for calling!). In general, ordering via UPS Blue shipment gets it there in 2 working days, and they ship immediately, no delay. So you should see it on Wednesday!

Thanks for your order & have fun with your new Micro Tuner,

Old 01-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Superchips_Distributor
Hi josho66,

You sound like me, when I get ready to do something, I want to do it right away!

Just so you'll know for future reference, anytime you want to communicate with us quickly, or about something that may be time-sensitive, the way to do that is to give us a call, we do have 24 hr. voicemail.

You'll be fine with your decision of the Micro Tuner, any 1999 or newer F-150 platform vehicle that requires speedo correction and is not doing engine modifications that require custom engine tuning to compensate for are generally better off with the Micro Tuner's great combination of features & price.

You can use the tuning in the Micro Tuner along with modifications like an intake kit, a cat-back exhaust system, electric fans & underdrive pullies in these late-model F-150's. Now if you have to do more involved mods, like an aftermarket MAF, different size fuel injectors, sometimes headers, and obvious things like nitrous, ported heads, a blower, etc. will require custom engine tuning.

Actually, because you need speedometer correction the Micro Tuner was the way to go financially as well, because you would have had to have paid an additional custom programming fee in the single program Superchip to have us correct the speedometer anyway, so at that point you're spending less and getting a lot more by ordering the Micro Tuner. Not only do you get the speedo correction capabilities for gear ratio & tire size, but you also now have the built-in OBD-II code scanner, about a $150 bonus. You also have the ability to set your own WOT upshift point for each gear change individually (1-2, 2-3 & 3-4), and you can also alter shift firmness level for each upshift individually, too. We *strongly* suggest that you simply accept all the defaults to being with (other than correcting your speedometer), so that you start off with what Superchips has already done to optimize your vehicle's computer code. Then after driving it for a month or so, if you feel that the full-throttle upshift points actually do need further adjustment, then and *only* then go in and play around with the shift points. If you don't use the Superchips defaults for those shift points first, you won't have any basis for making any changes to shift points to begin with, so take the defaults for the transmission stuff when you first install it.

To answer your question about the limitations on the ability to correct the speedometer, that is limited to the 1999 & newer V8 F-150's (including Lightning & Harley models) & Expeditions; the V-10 SuperDuty trucks will not have the ability to correct the speedometer, nor do the 1997 & 1998 F-150's. In the 1997 & 1998 F-150 vehicles, that is accomplished by changing the traditional speedo gear on the vehicle itself. I think you have a 2000 F-150, so you'll be fine with that.

To make the correction for a different tire size from stock, you will need to enter the actual tire height in the Micro Tuner (once you get into that section of the options menu), so you will need to manually measure your actual tire height *BEFORE* you connect the Micro Tuner. Then once you have actually connected the Micro Tuner and get to that portion of the programming. into that option menu, you will enter that tire height figure in inches, and it has a resolution of +/- 1/4".

All of this info is in the manual you will get with your Micro Tuner, please take your time and thoroughly read the installation manual BEFORE attempting to install the Micro Tuner.

As far as the timing of your order, I think by now you have already called us to get that info while I was writing this response to you (which is the correct way to get that info, thanks for calling!). In general, ordering via UPS Blue shipment gets it there in 2 working days, and they ship immediately, no delay. So you should see it on Wednesday!

Thanks for your order & have fun with your new Micro Tuner,
WOW. That is exactly every little bit of info that I needed. Sorry to bug the hell out of you on this, I am just a very impatient person and I can't wait to get this thing and try it out. You are VERY helpful and thanks again.

One thing, I don't have the tires yet, will soon. I take it I can go in anytime and make the changes for the tire size??

Old 01-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor
You're very welcome my friend, & yes, you can go back in anytime later on and change your speedometer calibration!

Have fun,

Quick Reply: Which one Mike????