Cleaning your cleaning gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning your cleaning gear

I want to make sure I don't royally screw something up with all my cleaning gear....

I specifically bought pads for the buffer that stated they could be washed in a washing machine, cause I am lazy. Obviously, towels and stuff can go in the washer too, and bonnets and stuff are okay. But can I wash it all together? (I always wash with a second rinse in the machine.)

I cannot fathom why I wouldn't be able to wash it all together... but I can't fathom a lot of stuff that people do and don't do, so I ask the experts here

I know that any kind of fabric softener is a no go on that stuff, but I also have no idea what kind of soap is appropriate or whether to wash in hot/warm/cold water.

Help, please

Old 12-01-2002, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was different loads.

I have started to do one load of towels that touch the paint, one load of interior towels, and one load of grung towels (for wheels, engine, etc.)

When all my microfiber towels are dirty I'll do a small load of them. I hang dry them though, No dryer.

I use fabric softener on my cotton exterior towels. I was told to do this by a pro in the industry for 20 years. He says it helps to soften the residue and dirt left in the towels because it never completely washes out. I've been doing it for a long time and have never had any problems with it. You don't want to use Fabric Softener on Microfiber towels though.

Old 12-01-2002, 08:19 PM
Intel, is there any reason I can't put towels, pads, and bonnets with wax and polish residue in together with drying towels?

I like the idea of grungy stuff separate from paint-contact stuff, that I will do, but will the wax and polish reidue linger in the drying towels?

Old 12-01-2002, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wash my drying towels along with my smaller wax/polish residue buffing towels.

Old 12-16-2002, 12:04 AM
pw,

A really fanatical site about detailing is "Griot's Garage". It seems to be a favorite among Ferarri owners and he goes so far as to never even use the same towels for drying, polishing or waxing even AFTER washing them (ie: this towel is marked "dry", this one is "wax", etc). So I'm sure that he would probably faint at the thought of putting them together in the washing machine...but for the rest of us that live in reality, I usually put all my applicators (wax, silicone based protectant, etc) in the wash together and the drying and "take off" (wax) towels in together.

Anyway, I requested the free catalog from Griot's and there is some pretty neat stuff (and some truely **** retentive stuff....).

www.griotsgarage.com

Chknbone

Old 12-16-2002, 12:11 AM
Sorry I forgot this....

Griot's does suggest that some of the residue does still reside in the towels after washing. That is his reasoning for using each towel for only one purpose. However, I never seperated them before I got his catalog and I've never looked at my paint and thought I saw scratches or swirls because I washed stuff together .

chknbone

Quick Reply: Cleaning your cleaning gear