help with basic waxing

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with basic waxing

OK, I have been told that my truck needs wax,,,,,,,,

I've waxed the truck a few times, but after looking at all of yours, they just look better. What is the best technique to use. What wax, by hand, or machine, what kind of strokes to take, everything that you find usefull, could you PLEASE help me out some.

thank you.
Phillip

Old 09-25-2002, 07:44 PM
I use a lot of Meguiar's products and use them by hand because I have never had much instruction with a power buffer so they scare me a little because I don't know the correct way to use them but here's how I do my truck. I start by going over the truck with Body Scrub, then I follow it with either Polish or New Car Glaze ( I perfer the Glaze), and finally I follow that with a coat of High Tech Yellow Wax. Then I use my California Duster if the truck is dusty and about every other day I shoot it with Quik Detailer. Then about every other week I use Quik Wax on the truck. Monthly, I do the Glaze and Wax, only use the Boy Scrub about twice a year. All the products are Meguiar's. I find I like Armor-All's Detailer's Advantage for the tires and Eagle One Metal polishing cloth in the silver can for wheels and chrome. And Meguiar's Trim Detailer for the plastic trim. Hope this helps you.

Old 09-25-2002, 07:45 PM
Intel 486.....

would you care to share your wisdom upon this lost soul ...check out his posts through the search and name function

Old 09-25-2002, 07:59 PM
Intel knows his stuff, he will probably post tonight, otherwise I will call him and tell him to post LOL

Old 09-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright, Couldn't get on here last night to post.

I apply wax with a Dual-Action buffer but I only do that for speed reasons. You can apply wax by hand and obtain the same results. In fact, most concours people apply wax by hand.

Most people say when applying by hand use "bumper-to-bumper" motions for all horizontal surfaces and "up-and-down" motions for verticle surfaces. Whatever you feel like doing, then do it. Just make sure you check your foam applicator often as they are unforgiving if you get any dirty stuck on the surface.

For wax you have a wide choice. You can go with a carnauba like Meguiar's Gold Class, Meguiar's #26, One Grand Blitz, Pinnacle Paste Glaze (since I see your truck is silver), P21S, etc. You could also go with a sealant like Liquid Glass, zaino, or Klasse Sealant Glaze.

It is your choice. I use Klasse Sealant Glaze topped by P21S

Edit: Also, use 100% cotton towels. Make sure they are 100% cotton through and through and not 100% cotton loop. Cotton loop towels have polyester in the backing.

Quick Reply: help with basic waxing