Liquid Glass question--->

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Liquid Glass question--->

I just went down to autozone to buy some LG and i was shocked at the price-18bucks for a pint! Ouch! I want to try some of this stuff on my cherry red 53 chevy show truck that i have 21,000 dollars in. Should i apply 2 coats of LG, then a coat of Meguiars Gold class wax, then use Meguiars quick detailer?
I also have a pacific green 98 Ford. Its my daily driver except in winter. (it wont be seeing missouri salt anymore! ) If i do the same process to it, how often would i have to apply the LG?
Any info i appreciated
Patrick

Old 09-17-2002, 05:36 PM
Another question-->

Would u reccomend cherry wet wax over LG + Meguiars for shine and protection?

Old 09-18-2002, 11:09 AM
is it worth 18 bucks?

Old 09-18-2002, 11:35 AM
cherry wet wax

Cherry Wet Wax contains a mild cleaner. I have not used it before, but I would imagine that topping LG with CWW might strip some of the LG. You would want to top LG with a pure wax (no cleaning characteristics).

Then again, Intel mentioned in an earlier post that he talked to LG and it does contain mild chemical cleaners, which would make me think that layering it might be counterproductive.

Can anyone add some clarity?

Old 09-18-2002, 01:32 PM
Talking Harley layers his...

....and the results are impressive. I have a couple coats on mine and continue to be amazed at its durability and ability to shed water spots and worse. I say that 'cause the air here in Houston is admittedly nasty and my truck is either in an outdoor parking garage or out on my driveway all the time. Most waxes (Meguiar's, Eagle One, etc., even the premium lines) simply don't stand up to the heat down here - not even after about three weeks, the grit and heat get to them.

Be very careful with some of (perhaps not all) the "shinier" wax products; some of them leave more shine just becasue they are very oily (and therefore not durable) in the first place. Oilier waxes are more vulnerable to heat and letting airborne "garbage" stick to them. I switched to Liquid Glass (only) and now don't have these problems at all.

Hope this helps-

Old 09-18-2002, 01:41 PM
hey guys thanks for the info. But LG is a polish, which is ok, but i would like to put polsih on for shine and wax for protection. Ive used Meguiars gold class in the past with quick detailer and it really shines, but i know i can go a couple steps furthur. I know that the layering process is helpful to resist again sun, salt, etc, thats why ive used Nu Finish before prior to coating with a couple coats of Gold class before winter hits. Im going to buy LG and apply 2 coats and then top with a coat of MGC. Ill post and tell how results are

Old 09-18-2002, 02:04 PM
"Polish" and "Wax" are terms used different ways by different people, despite what Meguiar's says. What they mean is that a polish should remove imperfections and a wax should coat smoothly and shine, and that the polish should be "protected" with a coat of their wax. Great marketing tie-in, but not every system has these same needs.

I agree with the convention overall, but Liquid Glass offers plenty of protection - it just doesn't do it with the paraffin-based compounds marketed as "wax". The same could be said for numerous polymer-based polishes like Finish 2001, NuFinish, and the like - they aren't wax-based, so they don't have the same system components of the Meguiar's, Mother's, etc. I've used the Medallion, the Gold, the Eagle One Wet, etc., and never had the shine I get with a couple coats of LG. Additionally (may depend on your climate, but....), the LG resists weather, dust, and muck much, much better (It's rediculous how much better) than all the "premium" waxes I might have put on top of it. In fact, it was the inability of these waxes to provide lasting protection that led me to look for something else - and many here pointed me to LG.

Your mileage may vary....

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: cherry wet wax

Originally posted by mrusso
Then again, Intel mentioned in an earlier post that he talked to LG and it does contain mild chemical cleaners, which would make me think that layering it might be counterproductive.

Can anyone add some clarity?
It actually says it has cleaners in it on the side of the bottle

You can layer LG. It works as I have tried it. I don't think the cleaners are that agressive.

Old 09-20-2002, 11:46 AM
It says on the bottle that "some paint may rub off when applying" , they are talking about how the cleaner effects oxidation (includes hard buffing). I would not rely on it to take off deposits, use a clay bar for that. LG does protect you from the elements if you let it bake on correctly. Its important to let each coat setup in the sun, Notice how the bottle tells you to apply when the paint is warm (70-90 degrees), this aides in the bonding process. Using a standard wax over top works very well as long as you let the LG dry fully, but it really only helps with swirl marks not so much with protection.

I suggest,

1.dawn bath
2.clay bar
3.dawn bath
4.1st coat of LG , followed by 2nd coat 35-40 min later, same for #3
5.meguiers gold wax or 3m wax (optional for swirl removal)
6.buff with orbital
7.meguires quick detailer wipe
8.finito

If you want more work than that you might as well use Zaino

Old 09-20-2002, 03:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of suggestions....

I just finished my 5th coat of LG.
I think it's important to let each coat cure in the sun for 3-4 hours before applying the next coat, this is how I've been doing it.

The more coats you can apply, the better!

From my experience, it seems to me that the hard part of detailing is the prep-work. (I think Intel wrote something about prep work somewhere on this forum.

If you are going to go through all the trouble of doing all the prep work correctly, then don't stop at 1 or 2 coats, put as many on as you can. (This will let you take advantage of all the prep work you did before hand.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say 'more thin coats will produce a better result than fewer thick coats.

Alex

Old 09-20-2002, 11:15 PM
LG is definately a great product and is definately durible, and you don't need to top it with a wax. that just makes more work for ya if you ask me. I've been using LG on my HD truck that i put in shows since i bought it over 2 years ago. The LG was great, awsome shine! great protection, and i got tons of compliments. I recently switched to zaino cuz its a step above LG IMO, but LG is still awsome for a everyday vehicle. Also, the LG bakes onto your paint. I'd think that would make it pretty durable To repaint you're supposed to clean it with mineral spirits to strip it all!. ALso, layering does increase the results, but definatley wait at least 4 hours inbetween to let the truck bake IN THE SUN.

as for waxing over top here's the way i figure it. You CANNOT!!!!! glass over wax! it just doesn't bond right and you're wasting your time. This means that every single time that you want to glass the truck again, you have to do a dawn wash and strip all the wax, and risk stripping some of the LG and just wasting all your hard work. LG is a great product, and is perfectly fine as a final coat. I don't htink that the very minimal results of a wax over top would be worth the efforts. Insead of topping it with a coat of wax, just throw on another coat of LG. that way you don't ahve to worry about striping the wax every time and all that. just my .02 $

o yeah, and as for LG going for 20 bucks a can...whats a few more bucks matter for a great product to protect and shine your truck when you've spent all that money on it already? Why try and skimp on area's it matters most?

Quick Reply: Liquid Glass question--->