Warranty for the paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 08:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty for the paint

Hi everybody. I was wondering about the paint warranty.
My paint is cracking on the roof inside those grooves. I just
noticed yesterday I have two chips in my clearcoat on my hood. Is it hard to claim the warranty and will they
cover the hood? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Old 08-21-2002, 08:58 AM
In the same boat

I have the exact same problems. The gutter crack is minor but I'm sure it'll get worse. Also have a couple of chips on the hood. Looking forward to responses...I think I've read the paint is only warrantied for a year, but it'd be nice if someone who knew for sure could pipe in.

Of course, I don't know what the resolution would be...I'm not sure I'd want to risk letting the dealer repaint the truck, and I doubt they'd give me a new one....maybe it's best to live with it. Thoughts?

2001 XLT Supercab 5.4L
Dark Highland Green

Old 08-21-2002, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got the common issue with the paint cracking primarilly on the flat surfaces of the truck due to the paint being sprayed on too thick, especially with Black. Mine is a 98, and I have about 85,000 miles on it (well out of warranty.) I went to talk to the service department from the dealership I bought my truck from on Monday and spoke with both the service advisor and the manager. I was told at first by the service advisor that they are well aware of the issue however the paint job is covered under the 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty. My point was that this was a factory defect caused by the paint being sprayed on too thick and that it was as defective the day I bought it as it is today, and that Ford should be responsible for the issue due to it being a defect regardless if it took 4 months to show up or four years. I talked to the service manager, and he basically agreed with me. He agreed it was a defect, and even pointed out that it was present on all surfaces of the truck instead of just the flat surfaces as I had previously thought. He said they've had a few cases in the past where Ford has offered to pay anywhere from half of a new paint job (which I didn't feel was acceptable, and he pointed out in that case the truck was older and had more miles) all the way down to paying for the whole paint job depending on the specifics. He told me he would talk to the regional rep on Thursday and would get back with me however he was confident Ford would do something to meet or exceed my expectations. I'm looking forwards to hearing what they have to say tomorrow.

In my case, what prompted me to go visit my dealership on the issue was a guy I was talking to while waiting in line about a week ago that worked for a Ford dealership here in Dallas in the body shop. I started to ask him about it, and he immediately shook his head and said is it black? I said yes, and he said he knows exactly what I'm talking about that they've had several come back with the same issue. I asked him what I could do about it, and he said that if I complain loud and long enough Ford will take care of it. He said the majority of the customers that come back in accept that it is out of warranty and go on there way. The few that took it to the next step of going to the service manager and then the GM of the dealership and bitching loud and long enough are almost always taken care of. Sooo, if that's what it takes, that's what I'l do!

Last edited by STX/98; 08-21-2002 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ended up going thru a LOT of BS to get there, but after talking to the owner of the dealership I bought the truck from and having him call in I got Ford to do a 50/50 split with me on a new paint job. There orginal response from the area rep was 'go ahead and pay to have a new paint job and bring us back the receipts and we'll decide at that point if we'll help you and if so how much.' I ended up talking to customer service, then priority assistance, then the COO's office before getting anywhere. Was quoted $2600 for a new paint job, so it should save me about $1300...

Last edited by STX/98; 08-28-2002 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:29 AM
Good job. Hope everything goes well

Quick Reply: Warranty for the paint