WAX Remover

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WAX Remover

What is best to remove the wax off the black trim after it drys to white crap. I used "Back to Black" but it just covers it. A week lator the wax appears again.

02 True Blue Lightning
Many Mods

Old 07-14-2002, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A soft rag and peanut butter works for me. Yes, peanut butter.

Old 07-14-2002, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Peanut butter is just covering the wax up with its oils. If you want to go this route, then use peanut oil. It does the same thing without the sticky mess.

Some people say it really does remove wax from trim but most of the time the wax they are using it to remove is sitting high up on the surface of the trim. Wax that has been absorbed by the trim peanut butter will NOT remove. If you can't get the wax off by scrubbing it with a towel, then peanut butter will probably not remove it. If the wax is a cleaner wax or high in solvents, then this will just make it more difficult to remove from trim. If the wax got onto the trim by you hitting the trim with a fast moving buffer, then it will be difficult to remove.

Well, Dawn will remove it but keep it off your panels or you will have to rewax them. Non-caustic degreaser will also remove it but make sure you put something on the rubber to condition it afterwards.

Get a cheap paintbrush and cut the bristles down really short. Then run tape around the metal part to prevent it from scratching your paint if you have any accidents. Then you can use it to scrub the trim. If that doesn't work, then you can use some quickdetailer on the trim and then scrub it with the cut off paintbrush.

If nothing removes it, then get some vinyl dye and redye your trim.

The best thing to do is just to keep wax off your trim

Old 07-14-2002, 10:13 PM
one those sprayon........

quick wax products will take off....for example i use eagleone wet shine and they have a product which is a quick detail wet wax and if you apply it to rag and then to the area affected it dissolves the wax away.

Old 07-15-2002, 09:13 AM
anybody tried 303?

Has anyone tried 303 Protectant to remove wax from the plastic? I have been using 303 on my soft tonneau with excellent results, and a couple weeks ago I used in on the plastic trim without thinking at all about the wax residue. But yesterday when I washed the truck, I noticed the wax residue was gone. I'm not sure if it was the 303 or if it finally all just wore off. Does anyone know for sure if 303 removes the wax residue?

Old 07-20-2002, 03:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about WD-40 and a cut off brush? Seems like that would get into the pores and remove it. At least my tonneau covers it on the bed rails On the other pieces, I wax very carefully to avoid them. I have found that a pressure washer works to remove it also, depending on how stubborn it is. Why do automakers continue to use this crappy trim?? It's been in use for well over a decade, and all it does is collect wax residue! You'd think they'd test for things like this,,,,98

Old 07-20-2002, 04:37 PM
Lava rags work great

Trending Topics

Old 07-25-2002, 09:03 PM
wax remover

The best way that I have found to remove the wax is to go to the car wash. use the power nozzle and spray directly on the trim, and not the paint. It really removes the white crap.

Old 07-28-2002, 08:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with the earlier comment about getting into the pore space to remove the wax residue. Peanut butter, like INTEL said, is simply masking the problem (however, if you don't mind masking it and reapplying in a few weeks, it apparantly works well).

I have yet to try a chemical based way to remove the wax however, I suspect highpressure water would certainly put a dent in it. Also, not sure if you have a car-wash locally that utilizes HEATED water for washing. If so, I'd try them first. I think the heat would have a tendancy to help loosen the pore space and remove the wax.

RP

Quick Reply: WAX Remover