Colorsanding, For those w/o a rotary

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colorsanding, For those w/o a rotary

Well, as some people can tell I have been messing around on my truck all day. I did the acid bath earlier and was polishing when I came across these scratches. If you read my review of the C-45 Power Lift you will have read that I put some scratches in my truck by using a sponge instead of a wash mitt. I decided to do some sanding to help remove the scratches because some were pretty deep and I didn't feel like working the area a long time with a rotary and a cutting pad.

Ok, These are the scratches that are on my bedcover. The leaf is there for my camera to focus on because the auto focus would focus on the tree and the scratches would look like little blurry lines.

Now, I colorsanded using 2000 grit paper on a rubber sanding block. I put two pieces of terry cloth towel between the sandpaper and the sanding block. The towels helped to hold water for the sanding and it also provides some more give on the sandpaper since a vehicle's surface isn't completely flat.

Now, I sanded for awhile and then I would add some water and use my California waterblade to scrape the water off the area I was sanding. Before the waterblade people would use windshield wipers to scrape the water away. It takes all the water off so I can see the progress I'm making. I would make a few passes with the sandpaper and then dry the area to check my progress. I kept doing this until I could no longer see the scratches.

I then pulled out the DeWalt orbital. I decided to use the orbital to see how hard it is to take out the sandpaper marks. A rotary can take them out fast and is still my preferred method to do it. I really had to work the area hard with the orbital to get it to take the marks out. I had to do it three times with the Duz-All before I switched to the Swirl remover to shine it up.

Well, it really shined up. Took a lot longer using a orbital but it can be done!

Last edited by Intel486; 06-02-2002 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2002, 08:33 PM
tk2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you know when to stop sanding? When the scratches can't be seen? But will that remove the clear coat from the finish? Truck looks great tho... Thx, Todd

Old 06-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

There is a colorsanding sanding block available at some auto parts stores, and nearly all body shop supplies. It's black on one side(hard rubber) and grey(soft foam) on the other. You simply wrap the paper around the block, after soaking it of course. When you want to get the water off to inspect your work, take the paper off and use the edge of the block to swipe the water away. It works pretty quickly without having to stop to pick up a water blade. Good job on those pesky scratches, Intel486!! I never even considered that an orbital could remove sandpaper scratches, you learn something new every day!,,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 06-04-2002 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 98SCREAMER
There is a colorsanding sanding block available at some auto parts stores, and nearly all body shop supplies. It's black on one side(hard rubber) and grey(soft foam) on the other. You simply wrap the paper around the block, after soaking it of course. When you want to get the water off to inspect your work, take the paper off and use the edge of the block to swipe the water away. It works pretty quickly without having to stop to pick up a water blade. Good job on those pesky scratches, Intel486!! I never even considered that an orbital could remove sandpaper scratches, you learn something new every day!,,,,,98
I have a hard black rubber sanding block I use. Works pretty well and it doesn't take that long to pick the waterblade up from resting ontop of my bucket of soapy water

There is a sanding block I'm having trouble finding. I've only saw it once and another detailer had it. He said he got it from a paintshop but all I've that check don't have it. It is has flat hard piece on the back where you put your hand. The other side is padded and it grips and holds the sandpaper in place. Then there is a tap on the side you put your hand on that you hook between your thumb and index finger. It was pretty cool and I want it!

Old 06-04-2002, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by tk2
How do you know when to stop sanding? When the scratches can't be seen? But will that remove the clear coat from the finish? Truck looks great tho... Thx, Todd
I saw that the scratches were not through the clearcoat. They were pretty shallow but it was safer for me to use sandpaper than try to use a rotary and a cutting pad to get them out.

I kept going until the scratches couldn't be seen. I would make a few passes and then wipe the area with the waterblade and inspect. I kept going until they were gone. It is easier to control how much paint you are taking off with sandpaper than it is with a cutting pad and a heavy cutting compound. One slip with the rotary can cost you a repaint! With sanpaper you'll know when you hit color so you will just have to have the clearcoat resprayed... ok... both can cause bad things

Yes, this is removing clearcoat but every time you use a polish or cleaner wax you are removing clearcoat. 2000 grit sandpaper is very very very fine and isn't removing a lot. You just have to be careful you don't go too far.

Also, be carefull if you decide to sand out runs in the paint on your F-150. Sometimes the run in the paint is not in the clearcoat but in the primer! If you start sanding on it, then you'll quickly go through the little bit of clear and paint covering the drip of primer. Then you'll have a nice gray spot! Do it at your own risk!

Quick Reply: Colorsanding, For those w/o a rotary