Steps to clean up a new to me used F150...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steps to clean up a new to me used F150...

I just got a '99 F150 Supercab a week and a half ago and need to clean, prep, polish and wax the puppy. It's whatever they call their dark green color and the paint is in pretty good condition, some orange peel, minor scratches. It does have quite a few swirl marks and few significant scratches.

This is the first truck I have purchased. Been waiting a long time for it am stoked. Needless to say, since I've not owned anything worth sweating over, I need some help. I've scoured the forums and this is what I have come up with.

Coupke questions first:

I have seen people mention washing their trucks with Dawn. Does this remove the old wax?

Would it help to clay it and if I did where in the process below would I do it?

Here's my plan, please let me know if I am missing anything.

1. wash it good
2. use Meguiars Fine Cut #1 cleaner on the whole thing with a Porter Cable DA buffer/sander.
3. use Meguiars Medium cut #2 on the bad scratches with the same PC DA buffer
4. Use Meguiars swirl remover #9 to polish things up.
5. Use Meguiars Hi-tech yellow wax #26 to give it some protection.
6. Pray nobody puts any other dents or scratches in it the day after I get done.

Sorry for the long post
Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Old 04-28-2002, 02:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would use the clay bar after doing number one on your list.

Old 04-28-2002, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like you got a plan there. I would just throw the clay in probably after the Fine Cut #1. I usually find it very difficult and annoying to clay a paint finish with a lot of oxidation. Kinda like trying to clay sandpaper.

Old 04-28-2002, 11:01 PM
Welcome another Iowa member! I use the Zaino product line. Check out their website and see if the process is right for you.
http://www.zainobros.com
There is a dealer in the Des Moines area. Shoot me an email abullerm@netins.net and I will give you his contact information.

Old 04-29-2002, 12:10 AM
scratches

some of the surface scratches to the clear coat can be filled by first getting some clear coat t/up cleaning the scratch and filling lightly with the t/up and then buffing down the surface to blend it in some of the deeper ones will mean paint t/up then buff down then clear then buff. i use eagle one wet look and it doesnt show swirls(dont use the cheese cloth on the open areas only on the edges where the terry buffer and lambs wool buffer dont reach) tip? get a new soft brissle toothbrush for those areas that you just cant get the wax out of like the anttena mount and the washer fluid buttons on the hood

Old 04-29-2002, 10:50 AM
Thumbs up

Yes, Dawn will remove old wax and polish. I use it every once in a while just to clean all the old crap off and put a brand new coat on.

Old 04-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, Dawn strips carnauba wax but if you are going to be doing all that polishing on your truck, then you won't need to dawn it. By the time you are finished you will have gotten all the old wax off.

Also, Go get a cheap paintbrush and cut the bristles down really short. Then run tape around the metal part of the brish. You can then you it to get wax out of everything. I use it around trim, door handles, emblems, pin stripping, etc. Works wonders and it is faster than trying to do it with a toothbrush.

Quick Reply: Steps to clean up a new to me used F150...