Better protection - natural or synthetic wax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better protection - natural or synthetic wax?

Based on one of the popular polish/wax maker's website (I forget which), I found out an interesting tidbit. Although pure carnuba truly is the hardest wax and offers the deepest "wetlook" shine for darker colors, supposedly it "melts" and starts to deteriorate at 180 degrees F, whilst synthetic waxes can endure temperatures into the thousands of degrees.

I use and LOVE pure carnuba wax for its look, and I would say that within a 3-month period I will (through sporatic waxing of different sections) have at least waxed my truck once, and the roof and hood maybe twice or three times. However, I do live in Florida and have to park numerous days a week out in the hot sun...so I was thinking maybe I should switch to synthetic...

Anyone have any extensive experience with either type of wax or any opinions? What do you guys do and do you park in the sun?

Old 09-02-2001, 11:16 AM
First of all you are not using pure carnuaba. Even though some advertise as that, there are none that are "pure 100%" carnuaba.
As for the "melting", that is true. Depending on the wax it will start to deteriorate rapidly at temps as low as 150 and up. With you being in Florida I would not recommend carnuaba only.

I currently use ZAINO. I love it. I was originally using KLASSE with Blitz carnuaba as a topper. ZAINO is just easier to use than KLASSE with the same or better results.

If you like using carnuaba for the extra "deepness" it provides, this is what I would recommend. Depending on your paint condition I would try to get it as perfect and swilr free as possible.

Then I would:

Clay with a GOOD quality clay bar (Clay magic, ZAINO, pinnacle, mothers)
Then wash with DAWN original with the blue label to remove any oils, was residue.
Then use KLASSE AIO (all-in-one). his is a cleaner which will provide a good shine.
Then use KLASSE SG (polish). This is very finicky. Apply VERY thin. let dry for 20-30 minutes. Remove with large high quality 100% cotton towel (cannon, fieldcrest). Buy some Meguiars final inspection quick detailer to help remove. Spray a couple times on towel and remove SG.
Let SG cure for 1-2 days then reapply. Do this for 2 or 3 times. Then you can apply carnuaba...I recommend BLITZ. You have protection for 6 months. After six months repeat process again.

Good thing with ZAINO you dont have to strip every six months. You can keep applying as many times as you want.

try www.autopia-carcare.com for the KLASSE products
and www.ZAINOBROS.com for ZAINO. You can also ask Sal for a dealer in your area.

Old 09-02-2001, 03:47 PM
Another vote for Zaino here.

Great stuff.

Boss_429

Old 09-02-2001, 11:28 PM
Thumbs up Liquid Glass

You can find LG at some auto stores,unlike the others where you have to order them. LG is similar to both Klasse & Zaino. I like it, it lasts a long time and it makes the paint feel very smooth. And don't believe people when they say it's full of abrasives, because it isn't.

Old 09-03-2001, 09:46 AM
SCOOBY14B

I'm trying to understand in the system how I get six months worth of protection with carnuba? Seems like the Klasse stuff is polish, so what makes me able to go six months after applying carnuba?

After some more research on the web, I found that good quality carnuba usually begins to degrade at 180f, and that a good rule of thumb is that after 30 days only 50% of the carnuba protection remains. Even if accelerated to 10% in 30 days for Florida, I wax my hood (which is really the only relevant piece other than my roof for getting super hot) probably every week, and if not that every other. So the only modification I will probably make is that I plan to use a synthethic wax on my roof, just cause it's so damned hard to get up there repeatedly...

Old 09-04-2001, 12:19 PM
cpadpl

The 6 months is if you use KLASSE along with a high quality carnuaba. I use ZAINO and no carnuaba. The problem I have seen with carnuaba's besides loss of protection is yellowing. You mention waxing your hood every week. That is good for maintaining protection, but what you are doing is promoting "build-up". Carnuaba wax will in time yellow. More evident on white, black, silver, etc. The wax after being broken down will actually turn a yellowish tint. This can only be fixed by stripping the coats.

You are definately not gonna hurt your finish by waxing frequently, only gonna be higher maintenance.

You also mentioned using synthetic on roof and carnuaba on hood. The downside of this is you are gonna get different levels of protection, therefore your paint is gonna age differently. Your roof is likely to "fade" slower than the hood or vice-versa.

Whatever you do I would go with a GOOD quality system.

ZAINO and KLASSE on the synthetic end

Mothers, 3M, Blitz (One Grand), Pinnacle (the best) on the natural ends

Stay away from mequiars. They have some products that are good, but most are not as high quality as they used to be. I only use their #34 and #39. Final Inspection and Rubber and Vinyl cleaner/conditioner

Old 09-04-2001, 05:25 PM
Re: cpadpl

Scooby14B,

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about that re/ my roof aging differently. Of course, no one ever sees the roof, and if they were both "protected" (the roof by synthethic once every six months and the rest of the car by carnuba every month or whatever) I would presume that aging would be minimized all around.

I use all Mothers products. As far as yellowing, three times a year I strip all the wax off with a cleaner...I guess what I'm having problems grasping is I thought you told me that you wouldn't recommend carnuba in Florida because it will melt, so I don't understand why using anything (Klasse) with carnuba as the wax will get me to 6 months..what am I missing?

Oh, and when I said pure carnuba, I know it is not pure, what I meant was without any cleaners or polishes...just yellow carnuba...Again, thanks for your expertise.

Trending Topics

Old 09-04-2001, 08:37 PM
cpadpl

Sorry for talking out both sides of my mouth . I would only recommend using either KLASSE or ZAINO with NO wax. Either will give you a great shine. I think you will find it better than carnuaba.

I would recommend ZAINO of the two. KLASSE is great but it is VERY hard to work with. You have to put on an extremely EXTREMELY THIN coat, then it is still hard to remove completely.

ZAINO is effortless. GREAT product. Customer support is great also. You can e-mail or call nearly anytime and talk to SAL (owner) and he will answer any question.

Quick Reply: Better protection - natural or synthetic wax?