Seat covers... do they protect the leather?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat covers... do they protect the leather?

I am considering some Cabela's seat covers that are Cordura nylon.
Whether made of nylon or other materials, say canvas/cotton, will these seat protectors protect the leather or will they scuff up the leather as much as my jean pants would as the seat cover slides around a bit.

Anyone have experience with this?

Old 10-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cotton should be ok, but nylon..nooooooooooooooooooooooo and fyi you should still periodically clean/lightly condition the leather (making sure not to get any on the threads- it collects dirt & basically chews up the threads). The seat covers do protect it from UV/IR rays.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beechkid
Cotton should be ok, but nylon..nooooooooooooooooooooooo and fyi you should still periodically clean/lightly condition the leather (making sure not to get any on the threads- it collects dirt & basically chews up the threads). The seat covers do protect it from UV/IR rays.
OK, I've just gotta ask. How does one condition leather seats and not get any conditioner on the threads?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:40 PM
apply the conditioner to a towel, sponge, etc ...not directly to the seat and go next to the threads, not on top or over.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Beechkid.. thank you.

Your answer makes me follow up with: What is the Cordura seat covers have a cotton or other more gentle backing?

Old 10-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by RecoRepo
Beechkid.. thank you.

Your answer makes me follow up with: What is the Cordura seat covers have a cotton or other more gentle backing?
I don't know.....I have lambswool covers on mine with a 100% cotton backing-and that's the only thing I have ever used in the past 20 years..

Old 10-09-2012, 12:11 AM
To the OP, I have had the Cabelas covers. Post a link to the ones you are looking at.

I have a King Ranch...buck up and spend the extra money and get GT Covers. They are custom made and far superior.

Their version is called Endura. I can tell you, they flat out work and they are gentle on the leather underneath.

It has a backing on it safe for even KR seats. I leave the covers on year round now due to ranching, cycling, etc...I take them off once per qtr and treat the seats.

I know you don't know me but taking advice from Beachkid is kind of a risk.

Just saying.

RollingRock....Co Founder, The Detailers Cafe Dot Com.

Last edited by RollingRock; 10-09-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Seat covers... do they protect the leather?