Getting Old Wax Off Plastic Trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Old Wax Off Plastic Trim

Ok, used to detail cars a long time ago. We used to use laquer thinner to get wax off the trim. I tried this on my truck because the last time I waxed it, I used an orbital and got wax EVERYWHERE. On the bed rail caps, on the front license plate bracket, on the flare steps, on the tail gate lower trim, everywhere. What can I use that will get this off and not discolor the trim? Also, got it on my stock wiper cowl, and cannot get it off at all. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

Old 07-13-2001, 11:27 AM
I have used laq. thinner before also. I used to detail cars at Crown Eurocars in St Pete about 10 yrs ago, we used that and a small detail brush. I have found that Windex and an old toothbrush remove it ok. 150's are a pain for that, there is textured plastic everywhere!!!!!

Old 07-13-2001, 11:31 AM
Oh I know. My truck looks horrible right now. It's dirty because it hasn't gone one day without downpouring here after our 10 month drought. It has white wax residue on every piece of plastic. Tailgate handle, flareside steps, rear window trim, wiper cowl, front license plate frame, even on my Westin step bar step pads. I wish it would stop raining for a couple days so I could detail it. I will try the Windex thing too. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2001, 10:41 PM
I used Black Magic by Turtle Wax (i think its turtle wax). Works like a charm. It's really for tires but it's ok for plastic too! I used a little black magic on a rag and old toothbrush. Can't go wrong.

Old 07-13-2001, 10:46 PM
I used Black Magic by Turtle Wax (i think its turtle wax). Works like a charm. It's really for tires but it's ok for plastic too! I used a little black magic on a rag and old toothbrush. Can't go wrong.

Old 07-16-2001, 08:12 AM
WD40 works well.

-jeff b.

Old 07-16-2001, 08:54 AM
Thanks all.

Is there anything that won't streak down the sides of my black paint job?

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2001, 01:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

I heard from someone that peanut butter works. I have no idea if it actuallys does,but it seems like insects would love it,,,,98

Old 08-09-2001, 11:36 PM
how'bout fingernails? kidding....

actually, a buddy of mine told me that if after you wax, a couple of hours later what you do is go to a coin operated power washer thing a hit the areas with water only. He swears by it, says the wax isn't touched, and the bits and leftover chunks come off well. Dunno, I'm skeptical, I'll let you know what happens to mine after I try this out.

Old 08-17-2001, 11:14 PM
Banned
Hi, I'm sorta new here but I think I can help you out. I haven't tried any of the wd40 or anything else, but I used one of my fiancee's nail brushes ( i think that's what they're called ). I was just carefull not to get anywhere near the paint. The bristles are just a little stiffer than a toothbrush and took the wax of the black plastic very easily. Hope that can help someone.

Old 08-17-2001, 11:41 PM
Peanut butter does work. I think it is the oils in the peanut butter that takes the wax off. If you can get past the smell and mess it works like nothing else. I have detailed cars for over 10 years and have tried EVERYTHING there is.

Of course the best solution is to use a "wax" that doesnt leave a white residue (ZAINO, KLASSE)

Old 08-20-2001, 09:27 PM
I just tried/applied Mother's "Back to Black".
Looks good so far!

I'll wait a few days before I commit to it's performance.

I've tried the WD-40 and Mineral Spirits ideas but found it only hid the problem by "moisturizing" the old wax and making it temporarily invisible.

When the oils in these products evaporated, or were washed away, the white-ish wax residue reappeared.

I assume this is the same for the peanut butter too.

I'm too lazy to scrub with a brush or drive to a pressure washer.

In the future I will be more pro-active with masking off some areas with tape and newspaper before waxing if the Mother's product only temporarily hides the wax too.

XLT_D.

Old 08-21-2001, 04:42 PM
Thumbs up

The BEST way to remove the wax on the plastic trim is to just not let it get on there in the first place. I suggest masking off those areas with masking tape. I detail my truck at least 3 times a year - and i swear this is the best way to avoid having to go back over. Just mask, wax, and peel off - perfect!

Old 09-16-2001, 05:17 PM
Nothing I have tried so far has actually removed the wax.

The Mothers "Back to Black" does a good job hiding the wax but doesn't remove it.

After three weeks (and alot of rain) the wax is now re-appearing.

Looks like gentle scrubbing may be the only way.

XLT_D

Old 09-16-2001, 06:15 PM
PEANUT BUTTER

Does work. Believe me. I thought the same thing, what kind of crock is that. Figured, I tried everthing else. It work. Comes out great. Figure how much better it will look when you do that and then put mothers on it. When your done with the peanut butter, just wash your truck.

Quick Reply: Getting Old Wax Off Plastic Trim