What detailing products do I need to start off with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What detailing products do I need to start off with?

Hey guy's. I'm not new to the forum, but am to this
section. I'm real **** about my vehicles, but have always only used the basic meguires wax you buy from the store on paint. For wheels I use the maguiers or black magic gel, and for the chassis and plastic usually a protector that goes on clear and not foam up.

My truck is only a few months old and have waxed it once already. It stays under cover during the week and is only used on weekends. So the questions is, what products should I start off with for a good detail cleaning? I want to get any swirls in the paint out.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Well, to start off.

For washing & Drying:
Two bucket method with grit guards
Good Sponges
And good quality soap (I use Meguires)
Strong wheel/tire cleaner
Boar's hair brush
Very good quality Microfiber towels

For Detailing:
Clay bar w/detail spray
Porter Cable and polishes/pad for removing water spots/swirls/imperfections
Sealant or Carnuba wax
VRT on tires/plastics/and rubber

detailersdomain.com is expensive but they have all the top of the line stuff and everything you would need.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Former Sponsor
Detailing is "varying levels of crazy" as I usually tell people looking to get started.

Your budget, level of OCD about perfection, willingness to dedicate time to it, how/where the truck is stored/used, and patience all play a large role in how much or how little you 'need'.

Probably the primary thing to work out is your wash supplies. Like Super FX4 suggested, 2 buckets, grit guards, quality wash media, quality soap, and drying towels is important. You can take it to another level with forced air car dryers and things of that nature. Afterall, what good is all the polish and wax stuff if your wash regiment sucks and you just end up reintroducing damage to the finish.

Beyond that if you want to REMOVE swirl marks a DA polisher like the Porter Cable 7424xp, a collection of pads, chemicals, and stuff of that nature is your next area to concentrate on.

We have a HUGE variety of kits you can take a look at and I'd be more than happy to help you put together a package that will help you get exactly what you need. Shoot me a PM, email (dylan@adamspolishes.com) or give us a call 866-965-0400.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I use the maguiers soap also. I clean under the fenderwells and wheels first then rinse out bucket and sponges. I guess I need to dedicate one bucket and washing sponges for each. For drying I uses a shammie. Should I use something else. To apply the wax I just been using hand power which I know isn't enough buffing as I need to get so I'm sure I'll need to get a DA. And i have ICD pretty bad. Im not sure if there's anyone else with a 4wd that had there under neath as clean as mine eas on my 150. The 250 is the same, but cant tell bc its stock height(for now).

Adam, I will shoot you a PM this afternoon to discuss more of what I need and should use.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM
I just got a da polisher kit and some extras from adams. Dylan the adams rep on here helped me out alot I loved the way my swirled and hazed black paint turned out when I finished like glass now and brand new this is the kit I got

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-568-a...ation-kit.aspx

Love the results have had so many compliments and have 7 people who want me to do theirs just placed another order today at adams also their products are MADE IN THE USA!!
Hope this helps

Last edited by davidshick2; 02-10-2011 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: What detailing products do I need to start off with?