Polish vs. Wax

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I use a product called liquid Glass. It is a little on the expensive side, but does a grea job. You can do the whole truck at once or a section at a time. It is also the first polish that i have seen that reccommends that you do it in the sun. The warmer the better. Polish it up in the sun, and then let it bake in for about 3 hours and if you want you can put a second coat on. People in my neighborhood like the looks of my truck so much, i now detail about 7 different vehicles. It is very easy to put on and comes off with a breeze.

Old 04-27-2001, 12:47 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CamDS:
I am a little confused, what is the difference between wax and polish? Thanks...</font>
Plan and simple Polishes are designed to help restore depth and clarity while waxes are designed to protect the finish. If you have light or minor paint defects polishes can help remove them. After that you can apply a wax to help protect the finish. I hope this help out.

Old 04-27-2001, 02:14 AM
Another difference between waxes & Polish is most polishes contain no silicoln, which means they're usually safe to use on fresh uncured paint. Silicoln seals the paint.

JJ

------------------
2000 F150 XLT,Reg.Cab,LB,4.6,4R70W,3.55 F/D,Island Blue/Silver,Med.Graphite Int.,Keyless Entry,SRW,O/H console,All Pwr,CC,Ford soft Bed Cover,Sport Steps,Tow Pkg.,CD player,Prem.Cast Wheels

Old 04-28-2001, 03:59 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CamDS:
I am a little confused, what is the difference between wax and polish? Thanks...</font>
Hey Cam..Welcome to the Board.

As you can see there are a plethora of opinions here..this is what makes this board so great. Well here is my help to you.

WAX: There are two broad categories of wax, organic and polymer based. The organic waxes may be derived from plants such as Carnauba, or varmints, such as bee's wax or some of the K-Mart specials contain paraffin refined from dead dinosaurs. The polymer-based waxes are usually collected from specially trained robotic bees that gather the polymer nectar from plastic flowers (or it may be made in
chemical factories)

POLISH: A polish is normally a non-abrasive product based on a nutrient oil matrix and may or may not have a chemical cleaner as part of the package. Most polishes use fillers to help cover swirl marks.

And finally there is
CLEANER/WAX: A combination, one-step chemical cleaner and a wax. I am not a fan of these types of products, as they are required to perform two very diverse functions simultaneously. A cleaner should remove old wax, so how does it simultaneously apply a coat of new wax? You may wish to use this type of product only in emergency situations or on your Yugo.

I hope this helps!

-Tills

------------------
2001 F-150XLT SuperCab, Styleside, Silver, 4X4, 4R70, 5.4L, 3.55LS, 17in Rubber, Sport Package, Bedliner, Sliding Rear Window and the Wrong Radiator

Quick Reply: Polish vs. Wax