Repair Manuals: Chiltons vs. Haynes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 04:36 PM
Doc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Repair Manuals: Chiltons vs. Haynes?

For the F150. Have a 97 4.6L, 2WD and
about to undertake all the 'mods' we talk
about here.
Which is considered the most graphic of
the manuals? Haynes or Chiltons.. you know,
pictures for those of us who say "a pictures
worth a thousand words"...

Thanks

Old 03-23-2001, 06:12 PM
I've recently been studying both manuals for these trucks. The Chilton's is a good manual but tends to be sketch based rather than photo based. The Haynes which is photo based is the better of the two in my opinion. It seems to be more directed at the do-it-yourself'r and the steps in each process are more clearly outlined.

Understand, I'm not about to tear down an engine, or removing a transmission, God forbid the need ever arise. But the routine maintenance including brakes will be mine.

See, if like me, you can review either of the two at your local library. That made my decision to get the Haynes easy.

I have a Haynes manual also for the wife's 98 Taurus. It paid for itself the first week I had it.

Old 03-24-2001, 11:26 AM
Doc
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hunt4Fun:
I've recently been studying both manuals for these trucks. The Chilton's is a good manual but tends to be sketch based rather than photo based. The Haynes which is photo based is the better of the two in my opinion. It seems to be more directed at the do-it-yourself'r and the steps in each process are more clearly outlined.

Understand, I'm not about to tear down an engine, or removing a transmission, God forbid the need ever arise. But the routine maintenance including brakes will be mine.

See, if like me, you can review either of the two at your local library. That made my decision to get the Haynes easy.

I have a Haynes manual also for the wife's 98 Taurus. It paid for itself the first week I had it.
</font>
Bought the Haynes!!!

Old 03-24-2001, 07:33 PM
I95
Thumbs down

HAYNES MANUALS SUCK!!!!

------------------
99 F150 SC,5.4L,4x4 ORP,TTP,Gibson Single Side Cat-Back Exhaust System,Airaid,Duraliner Bedliner,Lund Bug Deflector Shield,SmittyBilt Outland Sport Bumper Guard in SS,Two KC DayLighters Off Road Lights,Two Eagle Eye Off Road Lights,A.R.E. Cab High Bed Cap,Valentine Radar Detector,ICOM 2M/70CM Ham Radio,R.F.Concepts Linear Amplifier,2watts in,170 watts out,Diamond SG Series Dual Band Antenna.

Old 03-24-2001, 07:37 PM
Doc
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by I95:
HAYNES MANUALS SUCK!!!!
</font>
Could you be a bit more specific??

Old 03-24-2001, 09:14 PM
Cool

Just spend the extra cash and get the Ford shop manual. It's much better. The only drawback is all the Ford spec # stuff, but it's the best there is for real info. www.helm.com sells them. You can also pick up owner's manual for used cars there.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

[This message has been edited by 2000 F150 4x4 (edited 03-24-2001).]

Quick Reply: Repair Manuals: Chiltons vs. Haynes?