Care of black paint - revisted

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Care of black paint - revisted

Okay, this truck is the first clearcoat black I have had. It seems like if you look at it wrong it develops a scratch. While washing it the other day the high pressure hose lightly scooted across the rear quarter. I noticed today there is a scratch from that almost all the way down the truck.

I have waxed it once with Mequiar's. What else can I do to keep the black paint scratch free (besides park it?)

Thanks!

------------------
Supercrew 4x4 Lariat
Solid Black
5.4 Triton
3.55 Limited Slip
6750# GVWR Package
Skid Plates
Moon Roof
Sliding Rear Window
Trailer Tow - Class III
Cargo Cage
Grey Leather Captains Chairs
6-Disc CD Changer

Mods:
305/70/16 ATS, AR Atlas 16x8
Chrome Westin Steps

Planned: Dual Exhaust, Toneau Cover and Expedition Console Mod.

Another great Ford truck site -www.fseries.com

Truck Pictures

Old 11-14-2000, 02:35 AM
Be very carefull. Don't think about those washing brushes,or an automatic car wash either.I have scratches from the brushes and the auto carwash that the dealer puts it through after they change the oil.I forgot to tell them not to wash it a couple of times.Might have them wash it again and raise a big stick about those scratches (hoping for new paint) Several other vehicles have gotten new paint from my dealer because of these scratches.Back to the paint thing-Black shows scratches worse than any other color.Pity our trucks look so bad a** in this color.

Old 11-14-2000, 02:01 PM
Thumbs down

It's the lack of lead in the paint that causes the paint to scratch so easily. Took my 00 Black 4x4 ORP Lariat into the woods hunting two weeks ago and was amazed at the scratches caused by the littlest leafy green plants. I'n not talking twigs and branches, I'm saying leaves. Even the rims got scratched. What good is a 4x4 that can't handle the woods. I guess I'm supposed to hunt off paved roads!

I have found that Mcguires(sp) swirl remover with an orbital buffer removed most of the scratches and then I applied my usual coat of Duragloss Wet Look polish. You really have to look to see any of the deeper scratches and no swirl marks in the black.

Guess I'll have to do more walking next time and leave the truck out in a parking lot.

Anybody got a gallon of Imeron clear laying around thats about ten years old? You could beat that with a hammer and not scratch it. If only I would of kept some before the gov't said it was destroying the ozone to use quality paints on vehicles.

------------------
2000 Lariat 4x4 Supercab
Black Clearcoat
Flowmaster 50 series SUV using original tailpipe
K&N Filter
CamLocker Aluminum Toolbox
Tinted Windows
Vent Visors

A.R.E. 'Z' series bed cap

1999 HD Softtail Custom
Cobalt Blue
Lowered and Chromed to max.

1995 Long Haired Chihuahua (Best security system on the market)

Check it out at:
http://www.harleyrider.webprovider.com/index.htm

Old 11-14-2000, 06:07 PM
Unhappy

Guess I just don't get it. When they switched to clearcoat black, it was my understanding that it would be tough. (Not like the old lacquer paints.) Supposedly, the clearcoating would be tough and the black underneath wouldn't scratch that easily.

------------------
2000 F-150 Harley-Davidson
'99 FLHRCI
'95 XLH

Old 11-14-2000, 07:58 PM
All the clearcoats scratch easily, it just shows up more with the black paint underneath it. My friend has a champange chevy and goes where I go but the scratches in his paint don't show up as bad.

Welcome aboard Harleyguy! Had to do a double take for a second when I saw your post. Make sure and visit the HD F150 forum as several guys there are good info resources.

Keith

Old 11-14-2000, 08:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your experiences with the scratching but I can't imagine ANY paint job that would look better than the factory one. You'll end up with overspray, paint on mouldings and accents from poor masking, bugs, hairs, dust and ??? in the paint. Most projects require 70-80% of the effort required for a quality job to be put into preparation of the materials. Dealer folks just don't care about your truck as much as you do (NO offense Ford wrenches!) Another problem is washing it! What do I mean? The dirt you are wiping away acts like sandpaper as it collects in the rag. Use a lot of water flowing above the rag so as to float away most of the grit before it can collect and scratch.

Old 11-14-2000, 10:46 PM
Talking

All of you are right. The facts are these: Black shows scratches way too easily, is a b!tch to keep clean, and gets damn hot in the summer. But when it's all polished up, there isn't a sweeter lookin' color to have. I wouldn't have it any other way.........

------------------
Click on any pic below for a closer look:
<A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p2abd93669c9b434a38ea09136b4e6c1b/ff736561.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p8bbc38a6b8da7299901c07d2740149c5/ffaf352e.jpg.orig.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/p18dfc566f482837068e8ff7599500eac/ffaf3443.jpg.orig.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A> <A HREF="http://www.zing.com/picture/pbe7cf6fd92bd647780a60a53170b215f/ffaf34dc.jpg.orig.jpg" TARGET=_blank> </A>
2000 XLT Sport, Flareside, 2WD, SuperCab, 5.4L. Factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, Dark graphite captains chairs & console w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider.
Mod Highlights: Window tint, light covers, Linex bedliner, ARE LSII lid, Flowmaster cat-back exhaust kit, Classic Design Concepts front bumper cover, and a Hellwig rear sway bar.
Wish list: K&N FIPK, Belltech 3/4 drop, and a SuperChip.
For details, go to: <A HREF="http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/f150.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>

[This message has been edited by selva1 (edited 11-14-2000).]

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2000, 10:54 PM
So... is a good quality wax the only scratch preventer?

Old 11-15-2000, 07:45 AM
Wink

YOU are the only scratch preventer. Believe it or not, frequent improper washing will dull a black finish quickly by adding many small scratches. If you've ever seen abused black paint in the sun, you know what I mean. It looks as if someone polished it with steel wool. Here are some tips:

1) Use two buckets when you wash your truck. One with the soap and one with clear water. I use a REAL lambskin wool mitt and during washing I never put a dirty mitt back in the soap bucket. Rinse it off first in the bucket with the clear water and wring it out before you go back to the soap bucket. Change the clear water as needed. By putting a dirty mitt back into the soap bucket, you are going to drag grit across your paint, and you know what that means.

2)Always use large 100% cotton terry cloth towels with the tags removed to dry.

3)Keep a good quality polish or wax on the vehicle. Although this does not prevent scratches, it will tend to fill the shallow ones that you have and really bring out the shine. I use the complete ZAINO line of products and have never seen better results.

Hope this helps. I've had my black truck for over a year, and it still looks as good as new. Check out the pics in my post above. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by selva1 (edited 11-15-2000).]

Old 11-15-2000, 07:46 AM
Thumbs up

kkirt1,
Wax is not going to prevent scratches. Polish however, will keep any scratches you have to a minumum. Also RainX makes a good wash solution. Sheets the water off the paint so you don't end up water spots. I use my yard blower to blow excess water off after washing also. Just remember the harsher the soap, the sooner you'll be rewaxing/polishing your truck.

Old 11-15-2000, 02:29 PM
lamoose1,

I have found that Mcguires(sp) swirl remover with an orbital buffer removed most of the scratches in the clear coat and then I applied my usual coat of Duragloss Wet Look polish. You really have to look to see any of the deeper scratches and no swirl marks in the black. None of my scratches went through the clear coat into the black. Depending how big they are you may be able to just use polish. I would not use any thing rougher than swirl mark remover.

Keith

Old 11-15-2000, 04:37 PM
Thumbs up

Wonder why no one is mentioning the use of some of those quick touchup "spray on, buff off" products like Harley Gloss, Mist & Shine, or Armor All Armor Plate? I've used these for years on the soft clearcoat on my Harleys and on my just sold red '97 F-150 and they are working great on my black truck, too.

They make the finish very slippery and a very deep black. They fill in and hide tiny scratches. Of course, one major disadvantage is they wash off in the rain.

(P.S. Thanks for the welcome, Keith, I did a double-take on your name, too!)

------------------
2000 F-150 Harley-Davidson
'99 FLHRCI
'95 XLH

[This message has been edited by HarleyGuy (edited 11-15-2000).]

Old 11-15-2000, 06:05 PM
It is interesting you mentioned Mist and Wipe. I was just going to post my observations of the product. Thanks for saving me some keystrokes

I will say that it does a really good job of removing the water marks that are left behind. It takes a few more minutes than shammies but leaves the paint with the just waxed look.

Another observation: The "spot-free" rinse at my local car wash really does work. I sprayed 1/2 of the truck with the stuff, 1/2 without. There was a noticeable difference on the side that got it.

Old 11-16-2000, 12:08 AM
I agree is the most awesome color around especially when it shines at night. I've also seen it look like the worst paint. # year old negelected black paint. I also thought the clear coat would be stronger than the paint but I think its a lot softer.

I have a few scratches in the clear coat only. These are from tree branches and from were my grill gaurd rubbed before I retighted it. How do I polish out these clear coat straches? Do I use a regular polish? I don't what to leave circles and swirls all in the finish.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4 ORP styleside, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Towing, 17" wheels and 265 tires.
Mods:
K&N Filtercharger, JVC 50W x4 cd player w/remote, Manik brush guard, 2KC daylighters 150watt, Retrax bed cover, Procomp 33 12.5 x17 All Terrains
On order:
K&N catback,
Future mods:
Herculiner, Tighten torsion bar 1" and add a leaf rear.

Old 11-16-2000, 11:16 AM
Wink

IMO Mequiars makes the BEST carwash I have ever used. My friend owned a bodyshop and that is all he used it was number 62 or something. One more little helpful hint that I learned from him which makes since if you think about it, wash from the top down. In most cases the dirt is near the bottom and you dont want to drag it -all over the paint- the whole way up to the top. The 2 bucket meathod is a good idea, never would have thought of that. Last but no where near least, dont let the diper touch the ground. If it does, get another one. Cloth dipers for babies are the softest things that you will find, and they are very cheap too.
I have real good luck with Mequiars 3 step waxs, they will take out most fine scratches. For big ones, MOST scratches can be wet sanded off, that is the best thing about a clear coat, it is the only thing that is scratched, not the paint. OK I will shutup now that I rewrote Gone with the wind. Later
One last thing that I almost forgot, NEVER NEVER EVER EVER USE AN AUTOMATIC CAR WAS. They might as well call it an automatic car SCRATHCER. What you think they clean the brushes? LOL The brushless ones suck to. And dont use joy, palmolive, tide, or any crap like that either. It is way to abrasive and will strip your wax in no time. Unless you like waxing every week? Call me crazy but these are not small trucks.

------------------
1997 F150 4x2 6cyl x-cab flareside black clearcoat

[This message has been edited by F150Degrees (edited 11-16-2000).]

Quick Reply: Care of black paint - revisted