Cleaning bugshield, deflectors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2000, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Indyfan,

Rain-X can be tricky but here is what I do and I live in the rain capital of the US...Florida!

1. Apply Rain-X with a clean dry cloth (liberally)
2. Let dry for 5 mintues.
3. Wipe off with clean damp cloth.
4. Fianlly, go over it with my wet Absorber (man-made chamois).

I do all of my window and both side mirrors. When my truck was new I applied it every month. Now I apply it when neede (every couple of moths at the most). I have used it for so long that I cannot stand driving in a car that dows not have Rain-X. Without it the rain just runs down the windows in a sheet and it is impossible to see out of any of the windows in a hard driving rain. My truck sits outside at night and the windows get dew all over them. After driving a mile or two all of the dew runs off.

The key to removing it is to use a damp (or wet) cloth. Good luck.

Old 07-12-2000, 11:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's one that I have not tried myself, but a friend swears that Rain-X mixed in the windshield washer bottle along with regular pre-mixed stuff really works well.

I can attest to the fact that on a helmet windscreen the stuff is amazing in the rain.

------------------
Y2K™

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 07-12-2000, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, back on topic -- I have nursed my 1984 GoldWing's windscreen all these years by using the same wax that I use on cars/trucks with clearcoat paint.

Wax (or the combination of wax and the tericloth) has just enough abrasiveness to remove all hazing of the lexan.

It works on the bug-deflector on my '95 Ranger -- and it's too early to tell on Nick.

For real show-room final touch -- use some detailer (several suppliers) that comes in a spray bottle and goes on between waxings -- it will totally remove any hazing.

This combination keeps my helmet wind-screen and the bike's windshield haze-free -- necessary for my aging eyes at night.

<A HREF="http://www.net-link.net/~n8jg/y2k/mvc-005x.jpg" TARGET=_blank> [img]//www.net-link.net/~n8jg/y2k/mvc-005x_small.jpg[/img] </A>

------------------
Y2K™

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Quick Reply: Cleaning bugshield, deflectors, etc.