why CANT I grease my truck??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2000, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post why CANT I grease my truck??

I decided to grease my truck. I could only find 2 grease ****, one on steering main linkeage and one on a side linkeage. The rest appear to be sealed, including all the ujoints and ball joints. This sucks. dealer said "you might get 60,000 miles out of the sealed joints."
This is a terrible design flaw in my opinion. Anyone know anything I dont about this? Also, anyone know where to get the tool to remove the fuel filter. Only Napa had one, and it was the wrong size.
99 xlt v8 ext. cab.

Old 05-31-2000, 04:06 PM
Mine only has grease fittings on the idler arm. Manufacturers claim that closer production tolerances have made these parts last longer. Whether this is true or not, I wish I could decide when I want to lube them.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification,Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back.

Old 06-01-2000, 11:34 AM
Hey on the fuel filter thing at autozone they have a kit or plastic rings for air cond. work and those work for the same thing. One kit has the size you need. Ask the guy at the autozone if you have one there they will know what you need.

------------------
1998 F150 XLT Reg. Cab, STX, White, 4.2 v6, 4x2, K&N, 3.55, Manik grill gaurd, **** Cepek 100 watt driving lamps, Kenwood mask CD-player, drop hitch, Ford hitch insert, 16x8 Atlas rims w/ 285/75/16 BFG All-Terrains KO all on a 3 inch bullseye spindles. Looks like a serious truck now!

Old 06-01-2000, 02:31 PM
Talking

I have had the sealed fittings on my other cars and I got 140K out of them before I started to replace them one by one tie rod ends go first. so I wouldn't belive the dealer on what they said. just keep the ones that you can grease full.... keep on trucking
Allan

------------------
1999 F150 Bright Red Extended Cab 4x4 Off Road, With Gray Interior, 5.4L, 3.73 Gears,

Add On's for now!
Access Tunnel Cover
Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
Stainless Steel Rocker Pannels
Putco Bed Rails
Clear Turn Signals
Flowmaster Exhaust
Lund Bug Guard
Painted Vent Shades
Painted Taillight Covers
Painted X-Cab Covers
Superchip (in and loveing it)
Airaid FIPK
Red Stering Wheel Cover
Pionneer CD Deck

Wish List: F1 Ram Air Hood, Tinted Side Windows, Wiper Crawl, Viser, Supercharger, NOS, ETC...

Old 06-02-2000, 12:29 AM
If you really MUST grease it, wait until the dust boots are all shrunken up (nearly empty of grease) and go to your local Quality Farm & Fleet and purchase an animal syringe.

Heat (melt) your favorite grease and load your syringe and poke a hole with the needle in the boot and squirt it full of grease. The hole will close up and you'll feel better.

Or...

...Stop by your local auto parts shop and see if they have the syringe that goes on a standard grease gun -- same procedure.

If you decide to puncture a boot -- clean the puncture with solvent then touch it with crazy glue -- which is excellent on rubber-like products (I've made many O-rings with Lock-tite's kit this way).

------------------
Y2K™

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 06-02-2000, 11:03 PM
y2k, great idea on the farm syringe and
heated grease. I think I will do that down the road.

Quick Reply: why CANT I grease my truck??