Waxing Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2000, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Waxing Techniques

What's everyone's personal technique on waxing thier truck? Here's mine.

Hood & Canopy
Drink a beer
Front quarters
Dring a beer
Doors, s/c, & mirrors
Dring a beeer
Bed and tail gate
Drik a beeeuh
:*) (hic!)

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,Pacific Green, towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS,Lund deflector, K&N Air Filter, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Diamond Blue(HID) simulator Fog Lights , Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio, with a Texas Star 100watt modulator and a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry,
Audio Mods
Kenwood KDC-6011 CD player/changer control head unit.
JL 10" sub-woofer
Fultron "Depth Charge" amp 200w max.
4, TR570-CX JL Audio Coaxial Speakers (factory location)

Go see my truck and my Grandfather's truck at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992" TARGET=_blank>

Http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992

</A>

Old 04-24-2000, 11:31 AM
Me, just like washing, when waxing I start at the top and go down. So the top of the cab is first, and the silver trim at the bottom is last. I apply the paste wax (mostly with my fingers) in a straight line from front to back. If you apply in circular motions like everyone thinks you're supposed to you end up with swirl marks. But if you apply in the same direction, you'll still get "marks" but they'll be straight lines and only visible from one angle. Whereas swirl marks are visible from any angle. Also, the towels you use to buff the wax, make sure when you wash them to not use a fabric softener. They leave a residue on the towels that makes waxing more difficult. Total wax time, about 3 - 4 hours. When you included wash time plus interior clean, we're looking at a whole day ordeal for me. But my truck is worth it. Besides, she only gets this treatement 4 - 5 times a year.

------------------
1999 Lariat SuperCab Flareside, Amazon Green with Silver trim, 5.4L, 4x2, 4 wheel disc/ABS, 3.55 limited slip, towing package, fog lamps, sliding rear window, captains chairs, keyless entry with alarm, spray-on bed liner, bug guard, and K&N. http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~bfriesen/truck.html

Old 04-24-2000, 02:11 PM
Cool

Hood
Passanger side, than work around the back,
all the way around to the drivers front, than roof.

Old 04-25-2000, 10:17 AM
Question

Freezer...what type of wax do you use?

I just purchased a 2001 supercrew and having a hard time trying to find a wax that will go on and come off easy.

Old 04-25-2000, 11:28 AM
Thumbs up

2001, I use a paste wax by Meguiars. I think the name is Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax. I know it is a carnauba wax, but I'll confirm the exact name this evening. However, I found this wax can be more difficult to find. Most places only stock Meguiars Gold Class wax. Pet Boys and Napa are the only places I've found that stock it. But it does go on very easy. Like I said, I apply most of the wax by hand.

Old 04-26-2000, 10:24 PM
Cool

I love meguires gold class wax.
I've used it several times on mine and on a 99 grand am and a 98 grand prix and had great results. It was very easy to wipe off and went on even easier. I've heard some other people say that they liked the stuff too.

(Then have another beer!)
This thread started out as a joke. I didn't think I'd get any real responses.

------------------
1998 F150 XLT, extended cab 3 door,Pacific Green, towing package, 4.6L V8, 3.55 LS,Lund deflector, K&N Air Filter, Diamond Plate Toolbox, Diamond Blue(HID) simulator Fog Lights , Whistler Radar Dectector, Uniden Police Scanner, 29WX-ST Cobra CB Radio, with a Texas Star 100watt modulator and a Wilson 2000 Trucker antenna. A Clarion Security System with Keyless Entry,
Audio Mods
Kenwood KDC-6011 CD player/changer control head unit.
JL 10" sub-woofer
Fultron "Depth Charge" amp 200w max.
4, TR570-CX JL Audio Coaxial Speakers (factory location)

Go see my truck and my Grandfather's truck at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992" TARGET=_blank>

Http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/1992

</A>

Old 04-30-2000, 02:48 AM
Cool

I use a wax called "Show room Wax" by Griots.

The key for this wax or anyother is a paint cleaning clay, also a product of Griots. This clay when used with a quick shine product, removes imbedded dirt and debris from your paint.

I know this sounds far fetched, but I gave it a try--The results are outstanding. It's like having flawless paint and smoothness.

I have waxed without using the clay and thought it was good also. When I started using the clay, waxing the old way is a waste of time.

Try it for yourself---Griot's Garage has a web site www.Griots.com

Regards,

------------------
Rick Medina
Las Vegas, Nevada

Trending Topics

Old 04-30-2000, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been using the Polish and Carnauba wax from Meguiar's (Deep Crystal System) with very good results. However, after reading the May 2000 issue of Consumer Reports, p.51-54, I switched the wax to Zymol (top rated). Evidently, the Meguiar's wax is only average in rating for scratching and hazing. It is also at the very bottom in the Durability rating.

I used the Meguiar's polish and the Zymol wax on my wife's car this weekend..and WOW! The wax is very good and leaves a very nice shine (gloss) but it sure does dry very fast when rubbing it on. I would recommend doing small areas...or wipe it on very fast. It comes off easier than most waxes I have ever used.

The top 10 waxes according to Consumer Reports (in order from top ranked and so on):

1. Zymol - cleaner wax
2. Prestone - Bullet wax
3. Nu Finish - car polish (paste)
4. Armor All - car wax
5. 3M - one step cleaner wax 39006
6. Turtle wax - Emerald Series
7. Turtle wax - super hard shell wax
8. Nu Finish - car polish (liquid)
9. Eagle One - wet polish and wax
10. Blue Coral - cleaner wax/swirl remover

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 04-30-2000, 06:33 PM
Cool

I ususally start off by washing with a detergent soap, like dishwashing liquid. That removes all of the wax that might be left over. Then I brake out the Clay Bar, with a polish/lubricant working my way around. Then I polish with 3M Foam Pad Polish with my high speed polisher, Finishing up with a nice pure carnauba waxby hand. 4-5 hours inlcuding interior, once a month.

------------------
1999 4.6 Extra Cab-Short Bed
Silver Clear Coat Metalic
K&N Airfilter
17 Inch 2000 Chrome 4X4 Wheels Wrapped in 275/60/17 ZR Yokahama AVS
White-Faced Luminescent Gauges
Flowmaster 3 inch Cat Back 40 Series Exhaust
3.5 Inch Polished Thermal Research Exhaust Tip
Clear Corner Lenses
Super White Headlight and Turn Signals
Trends Billet Antenna
e-mail ATTN2DTL1@AOL.COM

Old 05-03-2000, 08:11 PM
Talking

I have to agree with Consumers Report rating Zymol tops. I have a black Expedition which is a very tough color to wax. I've tried almost every product none really worked to my satisfaction. My biggest complaint is discoloration swirls (not scratch swirls). The Zymol wax did the trick. But, directions must be followed like doing a 2' X 2' section at a time. Also spray a fine water mist on the car after you wax it. You then dry off the water which adds additional shine. Kinda like spit shinning shoes. Anyway, it works great.
Maybe Zymol will send me some wax for this post. : )

Old 05-05-2000, 07:34 PM
KSinLA, I'm the Louisiana distributor for Zaino Bros Show car polish. If you would like a demo of the products just send me an email. If you would like more info on the products you can check out the website at http://www.zainobros.com

Thanks
Chris

Old 05-06-2000, 01:12 AM
Exclamation

I don't know what everyone else thinks about Turtle Wax. But they make a new wax that comes in it's own box and has it's own applicator, it wipes off without any residue or flaking like other paste waxes. Sorry but I can't remember the type it is. When I wax my truck hood first, quarter panels and work around the sides to the back, roof is last. I use diaper clothes to remove the wax, you can get 6 of them really cheap from Wal-Mart.

------------
'99 F-150 XLT Black over Gold. Extended cab, 4 door. 5.4L V8, K&N air filter. Factory installed tonneau cover and nerf bars. And my personal touch, red grill strobes and a double red dash strobe. I'm a volunteer Firefighter/EMT

Old 05-06-2000, 02:31 PM
Smile

As far as removing wax goes, I've used these yellow flanel cloths for a couple years with very good results. I picked them up on a whim at a local auto parts store for something like 3 bucks for a pack of 3.

They're also machine washable, and very durable. I also want to add myself to the list of very satisfied Zymol users. It's easy to put on, easy to remove, plus it looks great, and leaves an extremely smooth finish! The only drawback is cost, it's one of the more expensive I've seen, going for about $14 a bottle, which should be enough for 3 waxings.

Old 05-06-2000, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I finally waxed my truck with the Zymol wax and I am with Y2K OffRoad....incredibly smooth finish and it made my black paint look better than ever! VERY nice shine!

Old 05-08-2000, 02:07 PM
I also use Zymol, but not the same products that you can buy in the auto parts stores or the target,walmarts. I use the higher grade wax that you get from detail supply houses that is formulated for specific colors. Creme is for light colored vehicles, Carbon is for darker colored vehicles. Zymol is an old german company that has made estate waxes for carriages for about 100+yrs. The cleaner is called HD Cleanse and is excellent pre wax cleaner and swirl remover. It sells for approx $14 for a bottle. The jars of paste wax (Creme and Carbon) are approx $35 for 8oz. This is the least priced carnuba wax that Zymol makes and there prices go up to approx $1500 for 8oz.
For an excellent web site on detailing go to www.waxdepot.com and do a little research, it is very informative.

------------------
1998 F-150 SC Flareside 4.6 Wht/Grey Auto
Additions: Line-X 8-31-99
3.73:1 Pro Auburn, Custom made cold air induction system, Flowmaster exhaust, N2O (when needed)
Epic Lakota Chrome wheels and 285-75-16 tires.

Quick Reply: Waxing Techniques