Your thoughts on paint sealants

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2000, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Your thoughts on paint sealants

Had a teflon paint sealant applied to my Honda. Seems to work great. Don't have to wax, just wash. 3 year guarantee against acid rain, fading, bird s#*t and bug innards. Have been told it is not necessary to have sealant applied to my yet to arrive Super Crew with clear coat. Of course it would require regular waxing, but will that be enough to protect against acid rain which is a real concern in Jacksonville Fl.?

------------------
2001 F150 Super Crew
Lariat - White
5.4L

Old 04-28-2000, 06:58 PM
Hey SVAdams,
There are alot of good waxes on the market that will protect your SuperCrew from acid rain, bird droppings, bug guts etc.
Some of the top name brands in my opinion are Zaino, Mothers, Meguires and 3M. I would strongly recommend not using Turtle Wax.... it has abrahsives in the wax and will create swirl marks.
I personally use Zaino and I'm very impressed with there line of products. Speaking from first hand experience. It definately protects my trucks finish from all of the above mentioned (acid rain etc.). It also protects your finish from UV Rays and is 99.9% optically perfect. Leaving a wet 3D look on my truck. They have a system of products you use. First you apply Zaino Z-1 (Polish Lok), then while Z-1 is still on you apply Z-2 (Show Car Polish). If you have any swirl marks or tiny scratches, use Z-5 (Scratch and Swirl Remover) in place of Z-2. After it dries, you wipe your truck down with a white 100% cotton towel (Made in the U.S.A). If it's not 100% cotton you may get swirl marks or tiny scratches from other materials that may be in with the cotton. Therefore it's best to buy U.S. made towels to assure 100% cotton.... I use Fieldcrest.
Zaino also has a Z-7 (Car Wash), Z-18 (ClayBar) which I also recommend before you apply the polish. It removes railroad dust, acid rain, water spots or any imperfections in the paints finish.
Zaino has a full line of products and I use most of them. If you want to check them out, just link on www.zainobros.com .
Of course Zaino Products are what I use and I'm completely satisfied and very impressed with them. Just wanted to give you a little insight on it.
As I previously stated though, there are plenty of good waxes out there and I'm sure more members will be here to give you some feedback on what they use. Bottom line, a good wax "will" protect your truck.

Best of Luck and Welcome aboard!

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 4x2 Supercab, Styleside,SB,Amazon Green/Clearcoat Metallic,5.4 Liter V8, Class III Tow-Package,3.55 Limited Slip Rear,Bug Deflector, Duraliner Bedliner,Superchip,K&N Filter, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve.

Old 05-01-2000, 01:16 PM
SVAdams. It would be interesting to let that product run it's course, the full 3 years, then make them repaint your car IF it fails. I say this because Dupont says you can't get Teflon to stick to anything unless you heat it above 700 degrees, for this reason I generally stay away from ANY wipe/spray-on product that claims to offer Teflon protection.
As far as standard waxes and polishes, Lariat Ryder's suggestions are good. You can also add Zymol to the list, it's probably one of the best but along with Zaino also the most expensive.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 05-10-2000, 04:24 AM
Thumbs up

Lariat Ryder and Indyfan,
Thanks for the information and the web link. Will give Zaino a try. Took the Honda in for oil change and dealer said they no longer apply the sealant to new cars, only will reapply it to cars they treated in the past. Guess that answers my question right there! Thanks again.

------------------
2001 Super Crew
Lariat
Chestnut
Med. parchment interior
Capt. Chairs
5.4L V8
limited slip
class III towing group

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on paint sealants